Author Topic: Side stand lug broke!  (Read 2342 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Side stand lug broke!
« on: 14.07. 2019 13:01 »
I recently saw a side stand break. Chap with a very sweet 1951 A10 was starting the machine on a sloping, rough-surfaced car park. The side stand was down on the downward slope. I think he must have lost his balance; he is a shortish man. The bike fell over to the left side with the rider's leg under the bike. He was not hurt. The bike was not seriously damaged but the side stand lug broke away from the frame. Very annoying! This made me think I need to be careful with my side stand as it has the lug attached to the frame, the same as that machine.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: Side stand lug broke!
« Reply #1 on: 14.07. 2019 13:43 »
I have not been to the pub--- never get out of the boat , and never start ya bike on the side stand- its a stand not a starting poll *pull hair out* *bash*

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 14.07. 2019 14:44 »
I have not been to the pub--- never get out of the boat , and never start ya bike on the side stand- its a stand not a starting poll *pull hair out* *bash*

I agree and I do not start with either stand down.

This man is shorter than me plus the ground was tricky. I think the bike lurched over to the left when his left foot slipped while he was kicking.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 14.07. 2019 15:06 »
mmmm being short broke my heart when I was 11, they wouldn't let me do the cycling proficiency test because I couldn't touch the ground with both feet *sad2* so I pulled a big wheelie on my way out *whistle*

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 14.07. 2019 16:12 »
I agree and I do not start with either stand down.

I must confess I've always started my G/Flash while standing beside it and with it firmly on the main stand, then I hop on (well, not literally these days) and with both feet on the ground and my right hand hovering over the front brake lever I push the bike forward off the stand.  I've always done it that way - even way back in the 60s. Occasionally, and only when needs must, do I start it while astride it and then it's with both stands folded up. I don't think I've ever attempted to kick a bike over with it on a side stand. I only use the side stand very temporary, such as when getting off it and then I put it on the main stand straight away.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.07. 2019 16:35 »
You and me both Roger. Always envied those blokes able to start a stone cold motor, balancing on just the wheels and a left leg. I needed to almost dance on the kicker, being of slim build and of puny physique like the sort of guy who got the sand in the Charles Atlas ads. Having the bike on the main stand meant all my effort went into starting the motor, rather than compressing the road springs. Never trust the prop stand, and only use it for short periods.

Swarfy.

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 14.07. 2019 17:04 »
It's one of the things I liked when I had a DA Canterbury sidecar attached to an A10 way back - just leave it in gear and get off. No stands to worry about, no balancing needed and a firm platform to kick it over. Also, and this is the one, you could drive it with your left elbow resting on the top of the sidecar - and look really cool!

By-the-way I've always kicked bikes over with my right foot, never the left. I don't think I could do it that way without falling over, and like Swarfy I tend to get it on compression and do a little jump and all my 13 st goes down on the kickstart - never fails.

1960 Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 14.07. 2019 17:11 »
The Plungie has a low saddle and the standard compression means I'm happy to start the bike off the stand, with legs astride.
This is me: https://youtu.be/nrOfq1O-gV8?t=275
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 14.07. 2019 17:22 »
The Plungie has a low saddle and the standard compression means I'm happy to start the bike off the stand, with legs astride.
This is me: https://youtu.be/nrOfq1O-gV8?t=275

Great. It's good to air our different techniques - we all learn that way.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 14.07. 2019 22:49 »
cast sidestand lugs break quite often . then your left with a useless stand only.
keep meaning to fabricate one from mild steel.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #10 on: 15.07. 2019 09:02 »
In 1974 I managed to rip my right foot off.
Won't do that again cause it hurt real bad.
So ever since I learned to walk again it was left foot kicking standing next to the bike.
They say every cloud has a silver lining and this one was it is substantially easier to stand next to your bike and kick with your left foot than it is to use the right
This is regardless of weather you are cross legged standing next to the bike or leaping from a low earth orbit onto the starter pedal with the bike on either one of the stands.
Took a few months to get over the awkward feeling but by 1980 It was second nature.
Using the left foot also gives a lot more control over how far you kick so no more short flights over the bars for me.
No popped knees it is fantastic.
Even better still, because you are now kicking as disposed from leaping from a great height, you no longer need to hold the bars so you don't open the throttle as your body arches down.
Thus the B50 which was always a 20 minute start job suddenly fired first kick.
SWMBO that tops the scales at 50kg wringing wet wearing 4 heavy jackets suddenly found she could start all of the bikes easily ( not such a smart move on my behalf ) and I have trained dozens of light weight women to kick left footed to start their bikes, it is really easier .   
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 15.07. 2019 09:40 »
I can see that left foot starting might be OK. Just need to get over the feeling of appearing to be unmanly.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 15.07. 2019 15:45 »
Surely the logical position is to stand astride the bike, in which case only the right foot is possible (assuming you're facing the right way). Standing beside the bike to start (with either left or right foot) worries me insomuch as the bike could easily fall away from you and you wouldn't be in a position to stop it. I never use the centre stand (too damned hard) but sometimes leave the side stand down (but not touching the ground) when kick-starting.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #13 on: 15.07. 2019 17:21 »
As I have mentioned before I have 2 bikes an A7 1956 swinging arm model and a 1963 A65.  I have tried kicking the A7 over off the stand but there is no way I can press the kickstart down with my left foot on the ground I have to rise up in the air to press it down and this means that for a second or so the only contact with the ground is the 2 wheels so I feel safer starting with the bike on the center stand I would never try to start it with the bike on the side stand. Now the A65 which has the same compression as the A7  is very easy to kick over with my left foot on the ground the difference is really quite noticeable, I put this down to possibly 2 things the A65 has 18" wheels whereas the A7 has 19" wheels aalso maybe the kiskstart gearing is different.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #14 on: 16.07. 2019 03:23 »
On my A7 I start it with both stands up with no trouble, but the A10 I start it on the side stand as I have not got the "umph" to start it off the stand. To B----- hard to get it on the back stand every time I stop!
Don't like the idea of starting it off the bike, to out of control for me!
I have modified my side stand so as it pushers against the frame rather than twisting the frame, not so good in soft ground.
I also have to mount the A10 standing on the left foot rest with the side stand down as I cannot swing my leg high enough, I think it is a age problem *rant* but at 81 I can't complain. 

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA