Author Topic: E10 petrol (10% ethanol) coming to the UK  (Read 3053 times)

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: E10 petrol (10% ethanol) coming to the UK
« Reply #15 on: 19.07. 2019 23:25 »
G'day Lee.
Down here our V8 Super Car Racers run E85.
The addition of ethanol increases the octane rating of petrol (it's not petrol anymore just fuel). Down here they mix 10% ethanol to standard 91 unleaded and get 94 octane. To get the same bang for buck as 1 gal petrol you'd need to burn 1.4 gal ethanol.
When racing my 57 A7SS on 100% methanol I'd get about 12 MPG. Very fast miles  *woo*
Cheers

Thats kind of how it started out here too.

But now its widely available at regular gas station pumps. because most new cars are sold as "E85 ready".

We just need to figure out what needs to be done to run this in our bikes, than the future is pretty secure as far as fuel goes.

lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #16 on: 20.07. 2019 13:22 »
Run your Black & Decker through the jets

Seriously all you need to do is replace the filter gauze in the carb banjo, fit a bigger main and a shorter but steeper needle.
After  that is is retarding the ignition a few degrees & you are fine
You can pull those old 11:1 off the shelf & shove them back in
And for a bit of fun / nostalga a little Castrol R in the fuel tank.
Changing to synthetic oil will probably be needed as well.

Remember up untill the late 90 all the race bikes ran on meths.
It is not real problem
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 20.07. 2019 14:01 »
 I live in the land of cow crap and corn plants, E85 is cheaper than dirt around here.

I need to look into this a little further.

Last i knew, E85 was $2.35 a gallon, the race gas i use is $8.10 a gallon. They have almost identical octane.

I have come to understand it eats rubber and plastic. I dont know the truth of the matter, but floats, viton needles, o rings, dowty washers, fuel filters....

Theres a lot of parts to melt  if thats true. *dunno2*

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #18 on: 20.07. 2019 16:25 »
If you go to the following website www.fbhvc.co.uk and on the home page go to LEGISLATION & FUELS then click on fuels near the bottom of the page you will see what is and what is not compatible with Ethanol for both petrol and diesel engines.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 20.07. 2019 19:34 »
If you go to the following website www.fbhvc.co.uk and on the home page go to LEGISLATION & FUELS then click on fuels near the bottom of the page you will see what is and what is not compatible with Ethanol for both petrol and diesel engines.

Thank you for that, very interesting reading.   *wink2*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 20.07. 2019 19:45 »
Hi Rogersb. Are you sure BP ultimate does not contain any Ethanol? I always take the ethanol out of any fuel that i buy and have done so for the last few years for my classic bikes with carbs. I have yet to find any fuel that does not contain Ethanol. If i had i would be using it all the time.

ELLIS

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 20.07. 2019 21:11 »
I always take the ethanol out of any fuel that i buy
ELLIS

How do yo do this ?
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #22 on: 20.07. 2019 21:22 »
Hi Rogersb. Are you sure BP ultimate does not contain any Ethanol? I always take the ethanol out of any fuel that i buy and have done so for the last few years for my classic bikes with carbs. I have yet to find any fuel that does not contain Ethanol. If i had i would be using it all the time.
ELLIS

Hi Ellis, just made this screen capture re BP Ultimate, but if you'd like to read the article go here:-
https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/fuel-octane-power.pdf

No doubt cynics will say it's just a sales advertising gimmick.

1960 Golden Flash

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #23 on: 20.07. 2019 21:50 »
G'day Roy.
I think ellis might store it and "boost" his morning cuppa  *sarcastic*
Ethanol is the alcohol that we can (DO) drink. 4 shots of methanol will kill you.
Ethanol contains about 75 percent of the energy of gasoline per gallon, compared to 67 percent for methanol. Ethanol has an octane rating of 110 so adding any amount to petrol will increase it's octane but you need more fuel to do it. The main jets in my A7SS with two 932 carbs on 100% methanol were 640  *eek*. Amal have alcohol bowls and float needles, with a bigger inlet and alloy needles so running the bigger volume is not a problem. I think I ran 120 needle jet and a 1mm drill through the pilot jet.
Modern EFI fuel hose and Viton tip float needles as well as Amal stay up floats are ethanol safe. The old Kreem tank liner isn't DAMHIK.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 20.07. 2019 22:01 »
ELLIS

Hi Ellis, just made this screen capture re BP Ultimate, but if you'd like to read the article go here:-
https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/media/fuel-news/fuel-octane-power.pdf

No doubt cynics will say it's just a sales advertising gimmick.

This info is from 2010 and is out of date.
More up to date info  -  https://www.wemoto.com/news/article/1244/10_ethanol_petrol_is_on_its_way_to_the_u
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #25 on: 20.07. 2019 23:04 »
I also read somewhere that Esso Synergy Supreme Plus is Ethanol free - or it was. Maybe worth checking out.

Roy, that article by Daisy Cordell is generalising what's in the offing regarding E5 and E10, it's not specific on any particular current brand or grade of petrol.
(Edit: The comments in the article are more informative for those who want to read it).

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #26 on: 21.07. 2019 11:20 »
Here's an informative article about Ethanol for classic motorcycle owners by armchairbiker.com.
https://armchairbiker.com/ethanol-in-petrol-what-classic-bikers-need-to-know/

1960 Golden Flash

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #27 on: 21.07. 2019 21:32 »
Hi Roy.
 This may sound like a backward step but i add about half a cupful of water to one gallon of so called petrol. Shake the mixture well and then leave usually over night. Then the next day you can see the water/ethanol mixture in the bottom of the clear container. I then carefully pour off the fuel leaving the fuel/ethanol mixture in the clear container, and you will see the amount left has grown by about 35%. Just to prove it is an ethanol mixture pour the liquid into a metal dish and set it alight. Firstly the small amount of petrol will burn off first and will be smokey then the ethanol will burn off without a noticeable flame. Once the ethanol has totally burnt off you will be left with the water. Roger next time i buy fuel i will buy some  BP Ultimate just to see if it is Ethanol free.

Cheers
ELLIS

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #28 on: 21.07. 2019 21:36 »
G'day fellas.
What if you go for a 500 mile ride. I doubt the publican/motel would like you distilling fuel in your room.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #29 on: 22.07. 2019 10:39 »
Hi Muskrat.
If i was going on a long ride i would have no problem filling up with Ethanol based fuel because i would be using the fuel. It would not be left in the tank or the carbs for very long before i get home an fill the bike with Ethanol free fuel so the problem of leaving Ethanol in the bike would go away.    *good3*

ELLIS