Author Topic: Rocker box- is this right?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
Rocker box- is this right?
« on: 24.07. 2019 20:06 »
Persistent problem with a top end leak and still leaking but less after replacing gasket. One of the rear studs pulled its thread, I have just helicoiled  it and decided to do a test fit (no pushrods) just to make sure I had done it straight. What appears alarming is the 2 faces don't seem to meet that well and the box does not sit flat and it appears to pivot somewhere in the centre - this can't be right surely? Do I need to get the gasket faces skimmed?
Anglo - Indian A7SS (Actually is a 650)
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Rocker box- is this right?
« Reply #1 on: 24.07. 2019 20:59 »
G'day Duncan.
Yes it will need facing. Also check the four bolt holes in the head are flat (the edge of the hole can sometimes be pulled up through over tightening of the bolts).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 24.07. 2019 22:27 »
Hi Musky,

Thanks, thought that might be the case. Thread inserts all ok ,I did dress them with a file sometime ago. Do you think head needs facing as well ?
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 24.07. 2019 22:59 »

......... Do you think head needs facing as well ?....

It's well worth checking, especially where the rocking area is.... probably less likely the culprit
   I use the wide end of a metal wood square as a straight/flat edge, and then carefully filed them flat  *work* (along the face as well as across using the opposite side as a guide) took some time but no other easy option seems to have worked reasonably well  *beer*

If you haven't seen another  similar thread on the go,I think this is it;
 https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=14429.0
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 25.07. 2019 08:22 »
Thanks Dutch
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 25.07. 2019 08:29 »
duTch is right, the head top face is unlikely to be the problem. To remedy any deviation  properly on a fly cutter would need the valve guides to be removed, so is best left alone unless you can see major damage or deep scoring to the mating face. Otherwise it would entail milling along the faces, labour intensive, more expensive.

To see if the fault is head or box, remove the studs from the rocker box and place it on a sheet of glass...glass topped table, window glass etc, If it sits with no gaps or rock, the fault is in the head face. More likely  the rocker box is the problem and the high spots will show themselves. A little bit of attention to carefully flatten them out should effect a cure for the leaks. If it proves too badly warped, a trip to your local engine reconditioner and a couple of minutes on a fly cutter will restore the faces. If this is required, only remove the minimum amount of material, its a bit crowded inside that rocker box. As musky says, make sure the corner stud threads are not raised, and aim for no rock when placed on the sheet of glass.

Swarfy.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.07. 2019 08:57 »

.... As musky says, make sure the corner stud threads are not raised..

To be specific- primarily the main long ones with the brass thread inserts...plus the others
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 25.07. 2019 12:46 »
Thanks Guys - I will check it out
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 25.07. 2019 12:54 »
Just checked - it appears to be the rockerbox. I will get it looked at  the local machine shop/

Thanks again
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 25.07. 2019 20:45 »
As a DIY (presuming you have access to a surface plate or other really flat surface  - such as the bed of a bandsaw etc) then put down a sheet of 100 grit sandpaper and work the offending item across it. Be careful not to rock it when pushing it over the paper.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Duncan R

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 26.07. 2019 18:47 »
Thanks might give that a go . Ordered some engineers blue to try and see how bad it is.
Kawasaki ZZR 1100
BMW R80GS
BMW R1100GS

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 26.07. 2019 19:20 »
As a DIY (presuming you have access to a surface plate or other really flat surface  - such as the bed of a bandsaw etc) then put down a sheet of 100 grit sandpaper and work the offending item across it. Be careful not to rock it when pushing it over the paper.

I used a plate of glass and stuck the wet & dry on with water suction.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 26.07. 2019 20:07 »

Thats how i would do it, no blueing needed- the color of the aluminum will show you whats low. Use a black sharpie when in doubt, quicker and cleaner than blueing.

Also rotate your part 90 degrees each push on the sandpaper - helps keep/make the surface really flat.

This goes faster than it sounds.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Bsalloyd

• A's Good Friend
  • Government is not the answer, it's the problem!
« Reply #13 on: 28.07. 2019 15:31 »
When working with aluminum it is a good idea to champher the hole to the depth of one thread. When you tighten the bolt the force is on the first couple of threads and that causes the metal to be pulled outward. The first thread is deformed and stands proud of the surface. I usually do this with any threaded holes in aluminum or brass. If this causes you to eliminate the gasket surface required to seal the item, don't do it.
coastal Texas
1963 Rocket Gold Star
1953 Super Flash
1953 BB Gold Star
1951 ZB34 Gold Star
1956 Triumph T110
1954  Vincent Shadow

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 29.07. 2019 17:23 »
As an aside to this discussion, a question or two if I may;

I have lapped surfaces before, but this was on a proper plate. So this was of a known flatness, and I thought purposely soft enough that the lapping paste stuck to it such that the surface you were moving across it took all of the abrasion.

A glass plate is to some extent flexible and so will take the form of whatever you’ve sat it on, and hard – so the paste won’t stick to it.

But a lot of folks use glass and I presume very successfully. Why am I wrong?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza