Author Topic: Rocker oil pipe routing, SOLVED!  (Read 717 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Rocker oil pipe routing, SOLVED!
« on: 01.08. 2019 20:11 »
Tried lots of Google Images to find this routing..the most I could figure out is that new pipes as supplied by various sellers all need a sharp 90 degree bent backwards pretty short after the middle union, to clear the tank underneath.

Then what happens?  I've got some excellent  4mm bore black oil pipe in stock, am tempted to go from just after the bend, cut off the multiple feet of straight pipe have been supplied and run the black flexi pipe neatly  down the frane tube to the oil tank feed banjo ( again I was supplied with one with almost a foot of pipe on it but I do have an old one with an inch instead)  and over, to join the now super shortened rocerbox pipe.

Otherwise if I using the steel pipes to join up with a small rubber section somewhere near the splash tray (I would guess)   IMO it might look like a plumber's nightmare. A Serties A HRD Rapide for example! :-)

But then I can't unearth a pic of what they SHOULD look like, the two pipes, when mated.

Rebuilds coming along nicely. Indian tank, well useless chrome, it starts to pimple after a year ro so in storage.....also they had made the tank taller, but kept the badge  locations in the same place as the original measured from the bottom, making it hell(impossible) to get  a decent equal width around the badges for the green and pinstripes....

Tips welcome

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Here’s mine, I don’t know the “correct” routing but I’ve seen other bikes with similar routing to mine  ;)

It’s neater if you run the pipe closer to the frame tube than I have, and some clip 5he copper pipe to the frame to stop it wobbling about.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
I always keep metal pipes like that as short as possible, making up the difference with flexible (& unobtrusive) oil-proof rubber. Otherwise the metal pipe needs clipping to the engine every few inches or vibration will eventually fracture it.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

ironhead

Here’s mine, I don’t know the “correct” routing but I’ve seen other bikes with similar routing to mine  ;)

It’s neater if you run the pipe closer to the frame tube than I have, and some clip 5he copper pipe to the frame to stop it wobbling about.

Nice little B31 you got there.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened

Nice little B31 you got there.

Dare I say it here....but my b31 is my favourite bike! (It’s 400cc with gold star touring cams, and since that pic was taken has a Goldie silencer as well :-) )
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Unless I was competing at Las Vegas auctions, I found it best to cut off and slightly shape downwards near the tank fuel tap area, the supplied  long  pipe  and attach a flexible silicone black hose from the oil tank banjo to just in front of the left petrol tap. Easy and good.