Author Topic: electronic ignition  (Read 5303 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: electronic ignition
« Reply #30 on: 23.07. 2019 10:14 »
I have sent Thorspark a copy of this thread.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline unclerob

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 23.07. 2019 10:48 »
Whenever I read a thread about electronic ignition systems I'm surprised that no one mentions Interspan....they're British made and in my experience (I bought my first one in 2007 and its still working) very reliable!
They're really made for competition use....the unit has integral batteries so doesn't actually rely on the charging system but I find they work perfectly well on road bikes too....
https://www.interspan-ignition.com/

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 23.07. 2019 13:04 »
I have taken some photos.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Thorspark

• New
« Reply #33 on: 14.08. 2019 08:20 »
Hi RoyC,

Thank you for your feedback.

I acknowledge and apologise for the issue about the slot which you had to file out, the one you show in the photo is not deep enough. It aligns with a peg in the magneto, and these pegs seem to be all over the place, some protrude a lot more than others. The slot is fine for the magnetos we have here, but obviously was not deep enough for yours. It is a manufacturing error on our part, as we normally make them deeper to allow for the variation in the magneto bodies mentioned. We have sold thousands of kits for the Lucas K2F, and I can assure you that your experience of having the file a bit off is not what normally happens.

You also say you made up a plastic washer because the fuse blew. This is not necessary, the kits are designed to work without such a washer. The fuse blows because there is something in the magneto protruding and touching the unit, which shouldn't be there. The answer is to have a look and find out what is touching it, and to sort it out.

I note that you mention that you stripped the unit down and re-assembled it, I would guess it is probably something to do with that which has caused the fuse to blow. If it is now working with the washer you have put in, then it will not do any harm!

Regarding the ignition timing method you have used, we would not recommend it. It is extremely inaccurate, not to say almost hit and miss, and if it has resulted in accurate ignition timing for you then you have been very lucky. I note that you have manual ignition advance, so if the timing is out you have the option of altering it manually as you use the bike, so there is leeway for error. If you have automatic advance, then it has to be set correctly. The A10 is almost a modern bike, with quite high compression and rpm, so by setting the ignition timing properly, as per the instructions with the Thorspark kit, it will run properly and pay dividends for the extra work in the long run.

You also say that your bike is now running great.  There is normally a marked improvement in running after fitting the ignition kit, so it may feel like it is running very well, compared to the previous tired magneto, but if you set the timing up properly, it may well run better still!

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: 14.08. 2019 09:19 »
Roy. An interesting reply to your comments and problems with your Thorspark. At least the folks there have some concept of customer care, unlike some other suppliers who acquire a completely different trading reputation. Unusual to convey this feedback to your comments via an international forum, but it shows they are prepared to be open with their dealings. As a first post from a new member, perhaps we will get a full intro.
 Keep us informed of your longer term experience with the unit.

Swarfy.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #35 on: 14.08. 2019 09:25 »
G'day Thorspark.  *welcome*
Thankyou for posting your response to Roy in the forum. Well done.
I have used electronic ignition (another brand) in both my A7/10's for many years and can't praise the performance difference enough. As you say they need to be timed accurately by strobe to start with then forget all about it afterwards.
I like your system hidden in the magneto but prefer one that has the advance controlled electronically as well. Steel cables and whizzing bob-weights don't cut it for me.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #36 on: 14.08. 2019 16:34 »
I acknowledge and apologise for the issue about the slot which you had to file out, the one you show in the photo is not deep enough. It aligns with a peg in the magneto, and these pegs seem to be all over the place, some protrude a lot more than others. The slot is fine for the magnetos we have here, but obviously was not deep enough for yours.

Reckon that's a pretty gracious comment, and worth a clap *yeah*
The eccentric peg has quite a lot of movement to allow for fine tuning of the internal timing of the standard mag, and if it's at max distance away from the face of the cb housing, it could maybe impede fitting the Thorspark ring? (If badly set, or a home-made pin for that matter, it could impede the old camring too in some circs!)
But (if the standard peg is retained, rather than replaced with something new in the Thorspark kit - dunno myself) it is adjustable, which could explain why no problem normally arises.
The Thorsparks I've seen have fitted pretty well, and worked pretty well 'n all.
Bill

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 14.08. 2019 20:08 »
Well done to Thorspark for their reply. I wish more company's would do this. I hadn't heard of the company before but i have now, so i will make a note to look them up for my next electronic ignition.    *wink2*

ELLIS