Author Topic: A7 Centre Stand  (Read 965 times)

Offline magnum1973

• Active
A7 Centre Stand
« on: 13.08. 2019 19:52 »
Just wondered if anyone out there had a diagram of the centre stand and the actual angle it should sit please, Very new to this but am putting together a 1950 A7. Any help greatly appreciated. The present stand to me stands to up and down I think. Thanks
NZ

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: A7 Centre Stand
« Reply #1 on: 13.08. 2019 20:52 »
G'day magnum1973,  *welcome*
there were two c/stands for the plungers. 47-51 had 67-4843 and 52-57 had 67-4816. i think the only real difference was the addition of a foot lever on the later ones.
Most here (and I) will say what a pain it is to get it up on the c/stand especially without the foot lever.
Most c/stands and their frame lugs will be worn in the pivot and where they make contact. The angle is right when the rear wheel is just off the ground. https://www.draganfly.co.uk/index.php/bsa/bsa/a710--b3133--c101112--m202133/category/949-engine-plates-and-tie-studs
Cheers

ps: now get over to Introductions and tell us about your addiction to A7/10's
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 13.08. 2019 22:44 »

................. The present stand to me stands to up and down I think........

'day mags- That's probably how it should be, many would strive for that. It only needs to be far enough past vertical to stop rolling off unassisted- if it's too far over it'll be a struggle to get off again, and will also load up the pivot pins unduly....

Mines a '56 fFrame with '52/3 motor, I'll try and get a pic
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline magnum1973

• Active
« Reply #3 on: 19.08. 2019 09:32 »
Evening Team just added some pictures to hopefully give more insight to my dilemma, any more comments diagrams to help would be greatly appreciated.
I have added a line that I think may sort of be the place to be  *conf*
Thanks
NZ

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.08. 2019 10:15 »
The whole frame appears to be too high; the back wheel should not be so far off the ground. I think the centre stand is incorrect; if it was shorter it would have a safer angle. When I'm back home I'll measure the stand on my '55 Plunger.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.08. 2019 11:25 »

That looks about the same angle as my Plunger one- I wouldn't mess with it if it doesn't fall off, you probably only cause a headache; as in my earlier post.....if you're uncomfortable with it , just stick a bit of packing under the front wheel like a wedge
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 19.08. 2019 14:00 »
Mags... The stand does not look right, almost as if the feet are pointing backwards. The frame is  a rigid type and I do not know offhand if this frame uses a different one from the plunger frame. So as with any bike this age, the stand could simply be incorrect, worn, wrongly fitted, modified or one  codged to fit. Have a look at the Draganfly website, their illustrated part lists and accompanying pictures of parts should help. Follow the link on Musky's post.

These stands suffer wear on the pivot pins, the top of the stand where they contact the frame stops, and the frame stops themselves. All fixable with a bit of grinding, welding and fabrication. New stands are available from time to time as further treasures turn up, but seem pricey for such a simple part.

Swarfy.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.08. 2019 18:42 »
As your bike has a rigid frame I don't know if this is helpful to you: The stand on my 1955 Plunger has a length of 8.5", (215mm), from the centre of pivot to bottom of the foot. The angle-of-the-dangle looks ok to me and the rear wheel is just off the ground. My stand has the toe extension.

I know this is not scientific but I've drawn a white line on the picture of your bikes back wheel, copied it and pasted it onto the stand leg to get some idea of its length. It looks like you still have 19" wheels, same as mine. I've measured the radius of the back wheel of my machine. I get a length of 10", (255mm). If I can trust my work, your stand appears to have a similar length to the wheel radius, ie. 10".
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 19.08. 2019 20:01 »

Rear wheel be probably closer to the floor when the front wheel is pointing straight ahead, and also depends on length of the forks

Nice colour by the way
Australia

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 20.08. 2019 17:17 »
I reckon I would do something like grinding the stops a little...that stand is almost vertical!
You've got enough airspace under the wheel to afford a bit more forward rake.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 20.08. 2019 19:07 »
I reckon I would do something like grinding the stops a little...that stand is almost vertical!
You've got enough airspace under the wheel to afford a bit more forward rake.
If he does that he may struggle to get the machine off the stand.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 21.08. 2019 09:05 »
And if he doesn't may he struggle to keep it ON the stand!
It look to be almost as bad as those Italian fly-off suicide sidestands.
Incidentally my plunger A7 is murder to put on the stand anyway, and that's after welding grinding and filing to restore the original working attitude. Then again, that's easier to achieve than the centre stand on the Chief or my mate's Hinckley Bonnie, both of which require a block and tackle.