Author Topic: Drive chain?  (Read 2561 times)

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Drive chain?
« on: 16.08. 2019 13:30 »
The drive chain adjusters on my machine have come to the end of their threads. I guess I need a new chain, (or can I remove a link?). The current chain is not very old but I guess it may be poor quality. Where do you recommend I go for the best quality chain for our bikes?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
Re: Drive chain?
« Reply #1 on: 16.08. 2019 13:46 »
Hi Neil. SRM sell Regina chain, which they rate as good quality
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 16.08. 2019 14:50 »
I am using Regina chain and have no concerns I bought it on ebay there are dealers selling Renold and Regina chain. If your present chain has not lasted very long maybe it was not the correct specification for motorcycles, When I was at work 25 years ago we stocked various sizes and quality of Renold chain in the stores and they stocked the correct size chain for my then A10 it was good quality chain but not suitable for motorcycles the links were made from thinner material maybe your present chain is of that sort,when you get a new chain check to see the thickness of the links. The chain on my A7 has been on for about 2 years and has not needed any adjustment, the chain on my A65 has been on for 6 years and I can only recollect adjusting it once. I don't know what happens now but in those days Renold made the same size chain but different specifications depending on what it was intended for
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 16.08. 2019 14:58 »
The drive chain adjusters on my machine have come to the end of their threads. I guess I need a new chain, (or can I remove a link?). The current chain is not very old but I guess it may be poor quality. Where do you recommend I go for the best quality chain for our bikes?

The chainman every time.  -   https://the-chain-man.co.uk/
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 16.08. 2019 17:16 »
Where do you recommend I go for the best quality chain for our bikes?

I bought Regina chains for both primary and final drive from Andrew at P.M., that's if you can wait until he opens again in Sept.
His site gives the chain sizes etc. for all our different models and he sells either Regina or Elite.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 16.08. 2019 17:25 »
Neil, good rule of thumb for wear in a chain is how much it bends sideways when off the bike. Is it tending to ride high on the outer teeth (where the chain is about to enter / leave) the sprocket? If so, new chain before you need new sprockets as well.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 17.08. 2019 17:38 »
I rode over to Stourport to pick up a new chain from Jason, The Chain Man. The chain is German, made by Iwis. I also bought a can of chain lube from him, the sort you heat up on the stove when wifey is not home.

https://the-chain-man.co.uk/
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 17.08. 2019 20:12 »
He does know about chains.
I got the same chain from him and boiled it in chain wax prior to fitting it.
I used a camping stove down the garden.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 18.08. 2019 04:10 »
Hi Greybeard, The method I have always used to check chain wear is firstly to pull the chain away from the rear sprocket and if it comes away more than about 1/16" I remove it and lay it down straight, compress it together keeping it straight, mark the ends on the floor or where ever it is, then stretch it and see how much it increases in length. This tells you how worn the links are as a total. Works for me. Cheers. Gerry

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 18.08. 2019 09:18 »
Gerry,
My chain adjusters have bottomed. This chain has needed frequent adjustments since it was fitted a couple of years ago. The chain I bought yesterday cost twice the price of the one currently on the bike. I'm expecting good quality.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #10 on: 18.08. 2019 10:49 »
Gerry I use same method after washing it in paraffin and petrol *wink2*

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 18.08. 2019 11:32 »
 A good clean, just like bergs, then its a soak in the nice hot chain lube. After heating  it up  and letting the hot chain drip the excess goo back into the tin, I write the date and miles in the solidified lubricant. Then instead of trying to remember last time I did it, just open up the tin. Camping stove outside is safer, but less steady. Indoors if thing go wrong you will in deep  !!!! You are faced with walking the melted tin and chain outside, or removing the dripping chain. Both have DISASTER writ BIG.

Swarfy,

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: 18.08. 2019 12:42 »
Gerry,
My chain adjusters have bottomed. This chain has needed frequent adjustments since it was fitted a couple of years ago. The chain I bought yesterday cost twice the price of the one currently on the bike. I'm expecting good quality.
Have IWIS from The Chain Man on both plunger and SA.
Tensioned the one on the SA last week for the first time since installation and after 2000 miles . Needed about 3/4 of a turn on the tensioners.
Plunger still good (did a bit less miles)
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 18.08. 2019 14:51 »
 I remember when everyone here wanted Diamond chain.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #14 on: 18.08. 2019 14:55 »
I also use chain oil, but the last time i used it in the Greenhouse on a camping stove burner. (because it was windy). Went in the house for a brew  15 minuets later thought i had better check on the chain. Too late i couldn't even see anything inside the Greenhouse because of the smoke.(must remember to keep an eye on it)

ELLIS