Author Topic: Drive chain?  (Read 2571 times)

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Drive chain?
« Reply #15 on: 18.08. 2019 17:27 »
I also use chain oil, but the last time i used it in the Greenhouse on a camping stove burner. (because it was windy). Went in the house for a brew  15 minuets later thought i had better check on the chain. Too late i couldn't even see anything inside the Greenhouse because of the smoke.(must remember to keep an eye on it)

ELLIS

It's normal to have smoke bombs in greenhouses.  ;)
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 19.08. 2019 01:12 »
Can remember back in 54 when I was 16 and had bought my brothers 1933 Ariel Red Hunter from him as he was called up and needed the cash,
Went for a holiday down to Dymchurch with a friend on a James Captain. On the way home heard a funny noise and thought it was the shock absorber on the crank shaft. But when I checked that wasn't possible as the spring was coil bound before the cams on the sprocket could pass each other. Turned out after much head scratching and frustration, to be the rear chain sprocket's teeth were just a load of bumps lol. Got another sprocket and all came good. Don't think I changed the chain though. Couldn't afford it anyway. At that time you could buy a brand new 350cc ex WD Ariel, still in the crate for 10 pounds from Pride and Sharks. My brother told me that the Ariel had been raced by a bloke called Hartley long before he got it but don't know how true that was. Open speed limit on the A20 London to Dover yoohoo.  Cheers Gerry

Online Peter in Aus

• Valued Contributor
  • South West, West Australia
« Reply #17 on: 19.08. 2019 04:12 »
My A10 is cumming up 11,000 miles from rebuild with a new chain from my local bearing service, I have only adjusted it twice in that time, about half a turn each time. I have never had the chain off, to much trouble! I'm lazy! but I keep the chain well lubricate with Pentrite Chain Lube, applied after a ride when chain is worm, if needed.
I think a bit of the problem with excessive chain wear is it is keep to tight, 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" free play in the middle of the chain on the back stand is fine for the A10 SA's.

Busselton West Australia
49 A7 longstroke
58 A10  SA

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 19.08. 2019 09:31 »
Can remember back in 54 when I was 16...
I was 4
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #19 on: 19.08. 2019 09:43 »
It may seem obvious but I always keep the old chain because if I need to take the chain off for any reason I  attach the old chain to the existing one then it makes it very easy to replace I think it would be impossible with a fully enclosed chaincase.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 19.08. 2019 09:51 »
I  attach the old chain to the existing one then it makes it very easy to replace..
Agreed
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 19.08. 2019 11:08 »

Quote from: Gerry on Today at 11:12:41

I was 4

I just wasn't anything......
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 19.08. 2019 12:23 »
I was 4
I was 10.
I have a fully enclosed chaincase so have to use the old chain to pull the new chain on.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 19.08. 2019 13:00 »

Quote from: Gerry on Today at 11:12:41

I was 4

I just wasn't anything......
Not even a twinkle in your father's eye?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: 21.08. 2019 23:02 »
I've got the new chain on the bike but I'm going to take it off and use a half-link to enable shortening the chain a bit; the adjusters are well out. A whole link would shorten it too much.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline t20racerman

• A's Good Friend
  • Keep it nailed!
    • The T20 'Super Six' Suzuki website
« Reply #25 on: 25.08. 2019 08:26 »
I had high chain wear on mine (I do thrash it a bit..) and have now fitted an O ring chain. Massive improvement, haven't needed to adjust it in the last 1000 miles. Many HD O ring chains are too wide to fit, but my local dealer (who has a 1930s Sunbeam) suggested I try one that he has in stock, and its been brilliant. I'll try and remember/find out what size it was and post it here.
1944 WN/G based trials Ariel
1961 A10 - somewhat modified :-)
1967 T20 Suzuki - heavily modified Classic Racer
1967 T20 Suzuki - pretty standard road bike
2007 KTM 660 SMC - fast and furious supermoto
Triumph Tiger (modern one)

"If I had all the money back that I've spent on motorcycles... I'd spend it all on motorcycles!"

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #26 on: 25.08. 2019 10:15 »
I've got the new chain on the bike but I'm going to take it off and use a half-link to enable shortening the chain a bit; the adjusters are well out. A whole link would shorten it too much.
Both mine need a half-link
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 25.08. 2019 11:27 »

..... but my local dealer (who has a 1930s Sunbeam) suggested I try one that he has in stock, ............

I guess it didn't work so well on the S-beamer  *eek*

..I've got the new chain on the bike but I'm going to take it off and use a half-link to enable shortening the chain a bit; the adjusters are well out. A whole link would shorten it too much.

I don't understand any of that...If it needs shortening, why add any, whether it be a link or a half.... *conf2*..... I bought (from memory), a 100 pitch chain (what I call 50 links) and dropped a link out, and that's been fine for about 10K miles..

If running a 20+T tranny sprocket will need a longer chain anyway..... *dunno*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 25.08. 2019 12:43 »
..I've got the new chain on the bike but I'm going to take it off and use a half-link to enable shortening the chain a bit; the adjusters are well out. A whole link would shorten it too much.

I don't understand any of that...If it needs shortening, why add any, whether it be a link or a half....

Currently, the adjusters are well extended. If I were to remove a whole link the axle would be too far forward and the large hub nut would be against the suspension shroud, (I tested this). If I remove a whole link and then use a half-link I hope to get the adjusters back to their start position without the axle nut problem.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: 25.08. 2019 20:11 »
Not sure I understand this. ‘currently the adjusters are well extended’ – is that with the old chain? If so, they’ll be far less extended with a new one. If I’ve missed the point, why not use the new chain as is, and then remove a whole link later if necessary? Those half links are weak and prone to failure. Only ever use them as a very last resort.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.