Author Topic: Drive chain?  (Read 2575 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Drive chain?
« Reply #30 on: 25.08. 2019 20:41 »
Not sure I understand this. ‘currently the adjusters are well extended’ – is that with the old chain? If so, they’ll be far less extended with a new one. If I’ve missed the point, why not use the new chain as is, and then remove a whole link later if necessary? Those half links are weak and prone to failure. Only ever use them as a very last resort.

With a new chain I'd like to see the axle a bit further forward.
I was unaware that half-links are weak. Mind you, the way I ride, the chain is  unlikely to break!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #31 on: 25.08. 2019 21:11 »
Those half links are weak and prone to failure. Only ever use them as a very last resort.
With a new chain I'd like to see the axle a bit further forward.
I was unaware that half-links are weak. Mind you, the way I ride, the chain is  unlikely to break!

I can't see how they can be weak.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #32 on: 25.08. 2019 21:19 »
G'day Roy.
As the plates are cranked (go from inner to outer) they have a tendency to be pulled straight and snap at the bends. A good quality one might withstand the massive power of an A10 but it will always be the weak link!
Bend a bit of wire into a Z then pull on the ends. It will straighten.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: 25.08. 2019 21:33 »

....With a new chain I'd like to see the axle a bit further forward.....

That's probably why I dropped a link to start with, but having thought it through, next time I'll leave it in and take it out later, that way in theory I'll have 1% less wear *wink2*, as suggested by RDt2

.......Currently, the adjusters are well extended. If I were to remove a whole link the axle would be too far forward and the large hub nut would be against the suspension shroud,.......

Ok- now I'm with the programme; I don't have shrouds, and after 10K miles still have only about 1/4" betwixt the nut and rebound spring -just enough for a spanner

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia