Author Topic: Swinging arm sidecar mounting  (Read 1968 times)

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Swinging arm sidecar mounting
« on: 20.08. 2019 19:11 »
Does anyone have a reference photo they could post showing how a rear top sidecar arm attaches to the mounting point that’s provided between the rear of the petrol tank and the front of the dual seat of a later A10 swinging arm (top arrow in photo), or maybe even describe it?  I need to know what the fitting actually looks like that connects the arm to the frame.

I did have a Canterbury DA fitted to an A10 many years ago but I can't remember what that fitting was like.

I know some are attached by using the tool box mounting hole just in front of the rear shock.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
Re: Swinging arm sidecar mounting
« Reply #1 on: 22.08. 2019 09:37 »
This is a new one on me. I didn't know there were sidecar mountings on the s/a models. The plunger ones are completely different - tapered cylindrical lugs. I have had a couple sidecars on my old s/a (61) A10 and they just used clamps to the frame.
Adrian
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 22.08. 2019 13:35 »
These are the fittings on my 1958 SA A7ss.

I can take more pictures if required.

The green arrow is the hole that Watsonian used on my frame.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 22.08. 2019 14:06 »
I found this on the net.  -  http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=560209 

This is one of the pics  - 

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 22.08. 2019 19:54 »
Thanks guys.  It's in one of my books that BSA added it on the later frames, I can't find a picture of it with an actual sidecar fitting fitted in that place anywhere.  Here's a photo of mine taken yesterday in preparation to a visit to Watsonion next week - so maybe they can throw some light on it. Also I'll try to find the reference to it I saw in one of my books. The hole is 22 mm long  x 18 mm wide x 14 mm deep, so it's quite substantial. On my bike it's serving as a fixing for the battery carrier (it can also be seen in the 60 - 62 parts list). I've not seen it in photos of earlier frames.

I had a Canterbury double adult fitted to a previous G/Flash of similar age to my current one. That was way back in the late 60s through to mid 70s. An old school pal, who worked in the Motorcycle department of 'Kings of Oxford' (anyone remember them?) got it for me and helped me to fit it and set it up. I remember it was fairly easy, so it must have come with all correct A10 fittings. A year later I took it off (in the road outside a dealers) after they bought it from me for £10.00. I remember how and where the fittings go - except that one  *conf*.

Yes Roy, utilizing the tool box mounting hole ( *smile* and your A7 looks perfection).
(Edit); Roy, I'm looking at a GP Manx, been speaking with Ben, he said they'll make any necessary end fittings to fit the A10.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 22.08. 2019 20:13 »
Mine is the Watsonian Grandprix.
Here is a picture of the fittings on the sidecar. 

I purchased both of my BSA's from Kings in Wolverhampton.

If you look on the Watsonian website, ( https://www.watsonian-squire.com/home/sidecars/ ) there is a photo of my bike and sidecar that Ben took before he returned it to me.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #6 on: 22.08. 2019 21:49 »
Mine is the Watsonian Grandprix.
Here is a picture of the fittings on the sidecar. 

I purchased both of my BSA's from Kings in Wolverhampton.

If you look on the Watsonian website, ( https://www.watsonian-squire.com/home/sidecars/ ) there is a photo of my bike and sidecar that Ben took before he returned it to me.

Thanks a lot Roy, very interesting to see all the fittings, I did notice your A7 SS & Grand Prix picture on their site. That's the chair I'd like as it's got lockable storage.  The GP Manx I'm going to look at is pre-owned, in good condition and half the price (edit) but I know I'll look at the Grand Prix  *eek*.

I noticed you have a clear side light on your sidecar. Did Watsonian change that for you from the type for indicators with half clear & half orange? What about the rear ones? That's one thing I was concerned about and I've been looking to see if a replacement (like yours) is available, as it's silly when we don't have indicators to flash.

AND:-
Found it! - Took me ages. It was in 'BSA Pre-Unit Twins - The Complete Story' by Mick Walker.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 23.08. 2019 06:56 »
Roger, I asked Ben to not fit indicators.

Look at this video and you will see what it was like (regarding lights) when I got it back from Watsonian.

It's a lot different now though, I have fitted a rear light to match the bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5Gm_IPW8Ek
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 23.08. 2019 09:46 »
Look at this video and you will see what it was like (regarding lights) when I got it back from Watsonian.

Thanks for the link Roy, smashing looking outfit.
The GP Manx I'm looking at has the same style of mudguard and wheel as yours.
Did you find a source for the different light lenses to fit the light mountings on the mudguard yourself?
The front one looks like the Lucas side lights that were fitted to cars such as Morris 1000, A35, etc.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 23.08. 2019 13:01 »

Did you find a source for the different light lenses to fit the light mountings on the mudguard yourself?
The front one looks like the Lucas side lights that were fitted to cars such as Morris 1000, A35, etc.

No, Ben fitted it without any input from me.
I have since fitted LED's to all of the lights, including head light, and a car battery in the boot.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #10 on: 23.08. 2019 14:16 »
Thanks Roy, just returned home from a nice ride across Dartmoor, stopped at a tea room we go to when out riding on the moor and had lunch, then poodled around on the narrow winding Dartmoor roads exploring for a bit before opening up on the main road to home. Luvely jubbly.

If I can resist a nice new Grand Prix (which'll be highly likely - cus wifey 'll be with me) and buy the GP Manx (probably will) I'll ask him to change them for me. He's already said he's going to  change the mudguard for new because of a scratch on the one fitted at the moment, he also said he's going to change the luggage rack because the one on the sidecar is showing a little rust staining around the fittings. Thanks again for your pics etc.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 23.08. 2019 18:28 »
Roger, Did you fit sidecar springs when you refurbished your forks?

My forks were bottoming out with the solo springs.

Here's a photo of my solo and sidecar springs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BSA-A10-A50-A65-SIDECAR-FORK-SPRINGS-PAIR-NEW-42-5145-UK-MADE/223106303511?hash=item33f22c0617:g:QWgAAOxyUrZSpGXo
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RogerSB

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 23.08. 2019 21:28 »
No Roy, I didn't envisage fitting a sidecar at the time, it's a decision made only a couple of weeks ago.
If I do end up with the GP Manx they're going to deliver it to me and I'll fit it myself. I'm reasonably confident that my new solo springs will be ok. Way back when I had a Canterbury Double Adult on one of my previous G/Flashes (and it was a big sidecar - as pic) I didn't change the springs or the engine sprocket and it handled fine. I had it on the bike for about a year. I do remember when my pal and I fitted it in the narrow cobbled lane at the back of my parents house and I tried it for the first time the handlebars went from one side to the other in double quick time and I nearly hit the wall.  *eek* We forgot to screw the damper down.  Anyway, I'm hoping the GP Manx, being smaller and lighter will be ok on solo gear and I have E Dow dampers fitted.  If not it'll have to be a job for the winter.

1960 Golden Flash