Author Topic: Sliding Primary Plate with Oil Seal..where to get?  (Read 3089 times)

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
Chaterlea has mentioned  one can get a sliding plate with a proper oil seal, to cure the felt seal leak.

Who sells, kindly? Mine is like Niagra Falls back behind the chaincase on ATF, with the new felt seal. I don't think 20 SAE would help.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
Re: Sliding Primary Plate with Oil Seal..where to get?
« Reply #1 on: 28.08. 2019 21:42 »
Need help with mine so am following with interest.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.08. 2019 22:01 »
Chaterlea has mentioned  one can get a sliding plate with a proper oil seal, to cure the felt seal leak.

Who sells, kindly? Mine is like Niagra Falls back behind the chaincase on ATF, with the new felt seal. I don't think 20 SAE would help.

Read this thread, there are cures for oil leaks mentioned.  -  https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=14519.msg121022#msg121022

I did away with my felt seal.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online scotty

• Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 29.08. 2019 01:20 »
I got mine from Baxter Cycle in the US

It was made in the UK and appeared to be well made

S

Scotty

Current liabilities:
'56 A10 Dark Flash
'54 B33
‘74 Berlin Bomber R75-6

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 29.08. 2019 09:50 »
I have modified an existing sliding plate as per photos but the  side with the brass plate attached is too high so I intend this winter to have another go at it.Had a look at the one for sale at Baxters in the USA looks well made but not sure if I might have the same problem with the height.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 29.08. 2019 11:29 »
None of my primary cases leak. Maybe because I stopped putting oil in primary cases over 40 years ago.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #6 on: 29.08. 2019 11:42 »
Don't overlook the engine to primary case join.
I was recently breaking my head about a pool of oil underneath the primary case every time I parked the bike.  *conf2*
Convinced that it came from the sliding plate, I added a felt seal between clutch chainwheel and sliding plate but it kept on dripping out until it dawned to me that the oil came from further up front and the riding wind blew the oil backwards. When parked it then dripped down like it came from the sliding plate...
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 29.08. 2019 12:01 »
The simple way is to put a smaller felt seal on the reverse of the clutch centre which seals the gap and, as I have found over a number of years is very effective. A lot cheaper too. Most oil leaks fron the gap between sliding plate and the centre and the scroll does not do much

Comes with the SRM 4 spring clutch kit but also available on its own.

http://shop.srmclassicbikes.com/product/felt-washer-centre-adaptor-4-spring-clutch-centre

Dont know if it fits 6 spring.

Gold Star man Dave Flintoff also does a sliding plate with seal

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #8 on: 29.08. 2019 16:49 »
Will try the srm felt seal.
Have been ringing that phone nr for some tim e with no answere. Will try an email.
Thanks Julian

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 29.08. 2019 20:11 »
One thing for all those posting on here about using almost no oil, or squirting a little on every now and then to the primary chain....how on earth does the clutch bearing get lubrication in that case?????

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #10 on: 29.08. 2019 21:22 »
G'day Peter.
As long as the chain just touches the oil it will be flung around enough for a little to reach the bearing.
When racing my A7SS with an open (dry) primary (4 spring chain driven clutch) I'd give the chain a squirt before each race. Re-pack bearing after every meeting (6-10 races).
In the A7 plunger I use the recommended amount of oil but quite often there's more in there due to motor wet sumping (no crank oil seal).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 29.08. 2019 23:02 »
Thanks Musky  and many others...ok so I put the Haynes recommended amount of ATF/SAE 20  in the Chaincase..8 fluid ounces = 236 c.c. and the ATF was way below the level of the primary lower run. Had to basically double that figure to get it  touching ( and a bit more) the chain.

Anyone have any more quantities than Haynes?

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 29.08. 2019 23:21 »
You could fill it until oil runs from the level screw.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #13 on: 29.08. 2019 23:57 »
The state of the roads bounces the oil fairly violently. Then the chain throws it about. Have fitted the SRM felt seal Which has squeezed The clutch chainwheel slightly out of line with the engine sprocket.  Will run it tomorrow anyway but is there a spacer/ washer that fits behind the front sprocket or will i need to have something made up?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 30.08. 2019 00:47 »

.....ok so I put the Haynes recommended amount of ATF/SAE 20  in the Chaincase..8 fluid ounces = 236 c.c. and the ATF was way below the level of the primary lower run. Had to basically double that figure to get it  touching ( and a bit more) the chain.......

Pete- If you looking into the inspection/add hole, you may be not allowing for the bottom of the cases not being level (the bulk of the oil is out of sight under the clutch)

....... The clutch chainwheel slightly out of line with the engine sprocket.  Will run it tomorrow anyway but is there a spacer/ washer that fits behind the front sprocket or will i need to have something made up?

Jim- There should be a spacer that runs in the seal between the bearing and sprocket - it's about 3/8" wide (Part#67-1138 ) and possibly shims P/n# 67-2056/7/8

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia