Author Topic: Post amended - selling all spares  (Read 1153 times)

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Post amended - selling all spares
« on: 07.09. 2019 10:08 »
I couldn't delete my original post - however the bike is now SOLD, hurray!!! So, I'm selling the spares - scroll down to last comment for details.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA A7 Plunger - restored
« Reply #1 on: 07.09. 2019 23:29 »
Looks excellent. I hope you get want you are asking for it.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 11.09. 2019 06:36 »
Nicely done, shame to sell it on, but I hope it finds a good home.   Bikes like that are relatively rare here in the US but they are not highly sought after either,, Oddly enough BSA prices have been very soft here in the US and seem to be getting worse, even high dollar Goldstars and Compy models seem soft and lower prices in last few years.  I dont understand it,, I have never bought into the Sky is falling chicken Little scenario,
And markets go up and down, But a nicely done bike like yours should command good money for the skill, labor and craftsmanship.  Several obvious factors seem to be in play,, Brexit, Exchange rates globally, Weird symptoms in the Global economy, trade wars and tariffs,   But its probably best suited to stay there in England,, and much more appreciated.
Best of luck with the sale,, Be hard to build one for that price,
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #3 on: 11.09. 2019 08:38 »
G'day RR.
Truly a beautiful bike, well done. Hoping the next custodian puts as much love into her as you obviously have. Price is about right for markets down here.
G'day Sluggo.
The problem with the diminishing value of 50-60's bikes is that most of the people who remember them and want one are now dead or in nursing homes. 70-80's bikes are now fetching a good price.
I'm probably one of the younger (58) ones on the forum and both my A's are older than me. I just luv'm.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.09. 2019 11:18 »
Brexit to blame for falling BSA values? That must be the best one yet... ;)

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #5 on: 11.09. 2019 19:58 »
Brexit to blame for falling BSA values? That must be the best one yet... ;)

Thats not what I said or meant, But I dont want to destract from this guys bike, which is well priced and appears nicely done, since it would be challenging (At least here in the US) to restore one to that level for the average enthusiast for that price.

So 2 different enchiladas here,, ones chicken & the other shredded beef.  (Maybe a Pork Carnita as well)

First, BSA Prices.  Certain models are more valued in specific markets.  Might have been the ratio of exports/imports, age of the machine and model. For example 350cc bikes were never big sellers in the US.  Visit a US Norton club,, majority of the bikes are commandos.   So when it comes to BSA, Goldstars and compy models have always commanded premium dollars and yet,, many of those are dropping.  But I know of several land fill sites full of grey porridge BSAs that were dumped in a hole in the ground because you couldnt even give them away back in the 1980s and the scrap yards would not take them without titles.  Anyone wants to dig them up, I can point it out.
I used to run a shop specializing in British bikes and I often built bikes to sell.   I couldnt even get a return on costs to restore an A65.  Same with Nortons.. A 1960s BSA A65 compared to a 1960s Triumph was basically 1/3rd the sales price, plus the A65 cost more to restore with all that chrome.
So I have always advised newbies and cost concious British bike enthusiasts the best value for the money has always been BSA for a rider or for fun.  Not for investment.
For the more desirable models, (Hornet, spitfire or a Goldie) unless you get one very complete and at a good price, you will exceed value by trying to buy piece by piece.  My old guru was GoldStar Ron Halem (RIP) and he said you could S**T in a box, write Goldstar on it, put it on ebay and it would sell. 
So, last 2-3 years Triumph numbers have gotten very soft. I know many who build restos to sell (Many at Las Vegas in the big auction) and prices are dropping.  BSA gotten softer as well.  Norton Ironically has climbed a bit overall.
Now I know a number of people with early BSAs,, singles and twins and theres just not the big numbers of people into them here in the US.  The demand for them has always been driven by overseas markets.

So, second enchilada,  What are the factors why?  I agree that there is a shift away from hands on vehicle repair, restoration and collecting by some. But overall its not the driving factor.  I try to attend as many shows as possible and if anything vintage vehicles are more popular than ever and its the 20-30 somethings driving it.  But several factors there.  They dont have as much money.
Typical bike marketing had 2 demographics.  Young riders coming up from learners to daily riders and a bit of racing. Then families and work kills it for a decade or 2, then 2nd childhood you bought what you lusted after and many customers in 40s-50s and early 60s recreating their youth or passions.  So the bikes they grew up with (or cars) were a target.
That seems to be going away.

In the US there is a underclass, and a above average income class,, middle class is dying. THAT is whats impacting the motorcycle and collector car market.  Age wise,, I know some 20 something guys in 6 figure incomes, and they buy what they like and believe it or not,, its collector bikes and cars but its what they perceive as cool.  Not always restored.  Period choppers, period race bikes and memorabilia is whats selling.
While classic British is doing okay,, come to a show like the ONE moto here in Portland, Mama tried, Or "ShowClass" in SoCal.   These shows are HUGE! and the market is 20-40s in age.  BMW has sent most of their design and marketing teams to the ONE show to figure out HOW to market to these people.   HD Knuckles, Pans are the holy grail. Pieces of Junk Iron head sportsters are popular again. Shovel heads are popular as well.  The guys that built this bike?  Late 20s and part of a very active bike building scene.
See: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Triumph-T100-/264451418954?nma=true&si=MrOg9rDOVLp%252FH%252F5ZS3Fjy3YJjmA%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The tastes change and ebb & flow but its not going away.  Its more nuanced than that.  Markets peaked for collector and vintage vehicles in mid 70s, late 1980s, up and down in 1990s, crashed in early 2000s, went insane up to 2008, and been volatile ever since.  I still have a Classic Bike article bemoaning in the 1980s one of the first 1960s Bonnies selling for $5000 and saying it was the end of the hobby as only rich people could afford them.  For a while I was getting $15,000 for a 68-70 Bonnie, but now, you are lucky to get $10k

So what are the outside influences dictating US markets?  Its generally tied to global financial markets.  There was a period that the Australian dollar dropped and a ton of bikes imported into the US from Aus in early 2000s.  I have 2 of them, and missed out on some others I couldnt raise cash fast enough for.  Conversely,, one of the Forum members here.. Mike Reilly who I know, has made a career out of exporting British bikes from the US into Australia.  As in Shipping containers full.

Right now, Brexit or other factors,, I dont know for sure, but the English pound is the lowest its been against the US dollar in decades.  I know of a lot of UK wheeler dealers who troll the US and export back to the UK Asian, British and European bikes by the container load.  That market has died down,, most are in wait and see mode, but its not financially feasible.  I know several Europeans doing the same,, The Canadians are also taking a hit,, Look at the exchange rates.  Right now buying parts from Canadian suppliers is like a 30% off sale every day.  (Walridge, BCS, etc) 

So a bike like an A10/A7?  They are more valuable outside the US generally, But if the main markets for them like Australia, NZ, UK and Europe are suffering from currency issues, much of the demand here in the US evaporates. 

So is Brexit an issue?  It has to be to some degree, but not entirely. But its inescapable that the UK pound is not doing well. Right now its 1.23 to the USD and has averaged 1.65. 
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #6 on: 11.09. 2019 20:09 »
What a beautiful machine. Sad you have to sell, but there must be someone who will be very happy after buying it :O)

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.09. 2019 20:34 »
I wasn't going to nitpick, the machine is lovely and better than mine; but, as we are still talking about it; the kickstart cotter pin is on the wrong side; it places the lever slightly lower.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 11.09. 2019 21:10 »
I wasn't going to nitpick, the machine is lovely and better than mine; but, as we are still talking about it; the kickstart cotter pin is on the wrong side; it places the lever slightly lower.

*eek* *dunno* *fight* *yeah* *beer* *countdown*

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #9 on: 11.09. 2019 21:33 »
Don't worry RR, mine was that way for 30 years before it was pointed out.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA A7 Plunger - restored and for SALE
« Reply #10 on: 11.09. 2019 21:56 »
 :P :P
It's not an aesthetic thing; it's functional; you get a better swing on the kicker.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: BSA A7 Plunger - restored and for SALE
« Reply #11 on: 11.09. 2019 22:35 »

Definitely a nice looker- I like those fuel tanks better than the A10 ones, but you mentioned "polished stainless ' so some nitpicker will say it's not 'restored' or 'original' (not me  *whistle**smile*) *fight*

When I put mine back together 8 years ago, I debated which way to run the kickstart cotter, but when I pulled it off to replace the spring a while ago I couldn't remember which way it went, but after some experimenting it went back in the same as yours and it still starts ok *fight* 
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline RoadRunner

• A's Good Friend
  • Thinking Time
Re: A7 Plunger now sold - job lot of spares for sale
« Reply #12 on: 12.11. 2019 19:10 »
Well, today was a sad day for me as I parted company with my A7 Plunger which is now on its way abroad.  Despite "nitpickers" and the small fact the "the kickstart cotter pin is on the wrong side" the gentleman who purchased it wasn't concerned.  Obviously not one of those 'for the greater good' kind of guys with more time on their hands enjoying their pension while we workers are still contributing and funding it! Not that it narked me you have to understand. ;-)

But, and more importantly I will be selling off all my BSA spares - so if any member is interesting in purchasing ALL the spares I've accumulated over the years (as a job lot) please PM. Ideal for someone who loves selling at autojumbles like Stafford. There is all manner of items from rocker boxes (x3 or4) to various crankshafts, a pair of barrels + head (both cast), tool box - already stoved black, various top/bottom yolks, magneto (weak spark), seat base - stoved plus original cover in need of repair but usable, chromed grab rail, oil pipes, brand new S/S front wheel spindle and too much to mention here.  I'm in no rush so don't expect a list by tomorrow.  There are also BSA C11/12 front ends including yolks (x2), two foot pedals off unknown Brit bikes.  I will have photos for those members interested in buying the spares - this post relates to selling spares part and is NOT a discussion point, if you get my drift!

I am located in the Midlands (UK) so it will have to be a collection jobbie - not posting or arranging couriers (soz).
Happy to anwser sensible questions relating to possible purchase.
Cheers for now.
Road Runner

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A7 Plunger now sold - job lot of spares for sale
« Reply #13 on: 13.11. 2019 13:25 »
Despite "nitpickers" and the small fact the "the kickstart cotter pin is on the wrong side" the gentleman who purchased it wasn't concerned.  Obviously not one of those 'for the greater good' kind of guys with more time on their hands enjoying their pension while we workers are still contributing and funding it! Not that it narked me you have to understand. ;-)
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK