Author Topic: Tool and Oil tank Mounting Bracket  (Read 656 times)

Offline Norsa1

• Moving Up
Tool and Oil tank Mounting Bracket
« on: 15.08. 2019 20:55 »
Just wondering,  holding the tool box in my hands why is there two mounting brackets when one would do the job.  After all these years of riding they have never fractured so the design is functional.   
I am sure BSA had a good reason for doing this but is seems overly complicated. 

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tool and Oil tank Mounting Bracket
« Reply #1 on: 17.08. 2019 00:09 »
Just wondering,  holding the tool box in my hands why is there two mounting brackets when one would do the job.  After all these years of riding they have never fractured so the design is functional.   

By the time you are done mounting the oil tank, you will find the tool box mounting is a very uncomplicated design and should be appreciated for its simplicity.  ;)

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 17.08. 2019 13:57 »

How’s yr bike getting on, anywhere near finished? Any pics? (We love pics  *smile* )
New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Norsa1

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 14.09. 2019 23:58 »
I can post some pics but it is a “special” and it will offend the purists.[email] *sad2*

Offline Peter Gee

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 01.10. 2019 19:53 »
Not easy to offend here but we hate choppers. Now the Tool Box is a doddle...a couple of rubber washers to the shock mounting and two small bolts and nuts to the rear left  frame member. Done.

The oil tank however is a complete swine, and opinions are divided between if the designer should have been shot or hung. I think that was too good, and would have burned him at the stake.

The correct kit can be bought from Priory Magnetos on Google..but he opens only a few days a week. He ships anywhere and provides a great diagram of the watchmaker insanity of the oil pipes and oil tank forward mounting.

Even then, I had to make my own lengthened spacer tube for this mount. Otherwise the darn oil pipes nick the frame!!!!

And, use  1 x 3/8" +_ 1 x 1/4" BSP Dowty washer (ebay uk has a zillion) on the rocker feed banjo to shave yourself endless leaks using fibre ones.

You'll never get better advice on this matter..