Author Topic: A10 Brake Cams  (Read 946 times)

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
A10 Brake Cams
« on: 10.09. 2019 03:21 »
Did the original brake cams have a integrated grease nipple? I purchased stainless ones from barleycorn and they look great! But lack a hole or grease nipple. I don’t have the originals for comparison.
They don’t fit either front or rear brake plates so presume I would have to ream it out and or have a bush installed to save the brake plates from wearing out. They don’t fit my brake levers, don’t have the originals and again would have to shave some off to make them fit or purchase the levers from Barleycorn in the hope they fit.

Usually don’t have a problem with Barleycorn and want expert opinions.

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
Re: A10 Brake Cams
« Reply #1 on: 10.09. 2019 10:08 »
You don't say what year you have but my 1960 A10 G/Flash (which is still original spec) has the grease nipples (see pics).
Probably other years will be different but I can't help you there but I'm sure if that's the case others here will know.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.09. 2019 13:33 »
I have worn originals with nipples, sketchy as hell i think.

You give 99% of people a grease gun and they go hog wild, worse is you cant even see how much your pumping in there. ;)

Lee

Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline bl**dydrivers

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 10.09. 2019 15:52 »
1962 BSA A10 Super Rocket

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 11.09. 2019 09:51 »
Same as mine then, pt no 42-5830.
Unfortunately originals with a grease nipple are scarce and as Lee mentioned it's not a good idea to squirt too much grease in there - so not such a must have.
I always grease the cam when I dust out the brake drums during maintenance. Not quite so easy with the 'difficult to remove' quick detachable rear wheel though   *conf*.

1960 Golden Flash

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 11.09. 2019 11:37 »
An original brake cam for the iron full width hub A series brake, with an integral grease "nipple". They have often been hammered to remove the lever. It just a hole with an outlet on the diameter of the cam spindle.

Second photo in close up show the position of the hole on diameter of the spindle.

You can see how impractical it is to grease the whole spindle using that nipple.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.09. 2019 13:23 »
I would be more concerned that the new brake cams don't fit either the original backplates or the levers. Either the Barleycorn bits are wrong by incorrect manufacture/ incorrect order/supply or there is something wrong with the existing brake set up. Better to modify pattern parts than chop pieces from an original  factory part, but some dialogue with Barleycorn to get to the bottom of this conundrum would be my first thought. Previous posts would indicate they are very interested in supplying parts that fit.

The absence of a nipple is of no real consequence, and would add another machining operation and unnecessary additional cost.

Swarfy.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 11.09. 2019 16:06 »

You give 99% of people a grease gun and they go hog wild, worse is you cant even see how much your pumping in there.

Agreed - I wouldn't go pumping grease blindly into a brake drum, unless it was for someone I had taken a distinct disliking to.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza