Author Topic: Side stand for a Plunger A10  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
Side stand for a Plunger A10
« on: 10.09. 2019 08:24 »
I know that original side stands are as rare as hen’s teeth, (why?) but I would like to prop up my A10 GF restoration. I’ve read some horror stories about snapping stands and bolt on jobbies, so I wondered if anyone on here has found a reasonable, affordable solution, using the existing lug on the plunger frame? Thanks!
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Side stand for a Plunger A10
« Reply #1 on: 10.09. 2019 13:49 »
Simon,
I first made a prop stand, (lug already attached to frame) by modifying a Triumph one but I stayed on the lookout for a genuine prop stand. I eventually spotted one on Ebay. It was quite expensive, I can't remember what I paid, (the figure of £75 comes to mind). I have been happy with it so far, but I always worry about using it, especially if the ground level means a lot of the weight of the bike is on it.
I think I have passed the Triumph one to someone else, or you could have had it.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.09. 2019 13:55 »
I found this thread. Looks like I paid £45.

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=9954.msg73229#msg73229
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.09. 2019 21:42 »

Like GB I used one from an OIF model A 65/50, (same as Trihards) but I run a matching front-end, so unsure how the geometry would be with a stock front-end ...I think I needed to slightly modify something but can't recall what *dunno*- maybe the slot so it swings forward a bit more
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.09. 2019 23:15 »
Yes, I shortened the Triumph stand and eased the stop face so it would go forward more. I also welded a circular disk on the end, to make a better foot.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 11.09. 2019 11:46 »
Thanks Guys, that's just what I wanted - practical solutions to a puzzling shortage of modern reproductions. Maybe I will start a new business in my imminent retirement, making good new stands for BSA plungers...  *smile*

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 11.09. 2019 12:34 »
Thanks Guys, that's just what I wanted - practical solutions to a puzzling shortage of modern reproductions. Maybe I will start a new business in my imminent retirement, making good new stands for BSA plungers...  *smile*
I know you are not serious, but to make good quality stands would require forgings to be made rather than the cast one's that can snap.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #7 on: 11.09. 2019 16:14 »
I wasn't being too serious, and I didn't know the difference between forgings and castings, but I do now - thanks to Neil and the interweb. Every day's a school day...

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 11.09. 2019 17:13 »
I wasn't being too serious, and I didn't know the difference between forgings and castings, but I do now - thanks to Neil and the interweb. Every day's a school day...
*red*
I'm pretty certain that spanners must be forgings, hence their strength.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 11.09. 2019 21:03 »
So do you HAVE an existing lug on the frame?  Many dont.  And what condition is your lug?  Is it an original casting or forging?   I have seen some frames that appear to have never had the casting/forging and confused on the early BSAs why some have them and some clearly never did.
Then there is the clamp on versions, Both aftermarket and factory. 
On some frames either they were broken off and repaired or a previous owners creative repair, So not always the case with hey, use this side stand as it will bolt right up. (Say adapting a B25 unit single stand)

I was planning on posting on here and some other forums a side stand ID thread, as I have some mystery ones I would like to ID.  Just havent gotten around to it yet.  Staring at parts books with a magnifying glass has only yielded marginal results.

I have had decent luck with these WEN repop side stands, I have heard others complain about them and variations, But personally have been satisfied with the ones I have used.  In the past, I have used them on Nortons that didnt have side stands as well, and to prevent them coming loose, I tack weld the inner half of the clamp into place, and safety wire the bolts or loctite to prevent them coming loose.  Never snapped off the stand itself.

There is a variation that was a period accy as well.  Superiors and Ziewes and apparently highly sought after period accys.. I see crazy prices for them on ebay sometimes.  I  *eek* had thrown a few away many years ago not realizing they are in demand.  I thought they were overly heavy and cumbersome and couldnt imagine anyone wanting to use one.  How little did I know! *dunno*

But the hipsters love these things, one website that has some good examples is this guy,.,,
See: http://showandgo.blogspot.com/2009/03/zirwes-and-superior-sidestands.html

Ill attch some period advertising.  Apparently they made the mounts line up with the engine mounts, I have 2 of these and was debating listing them on eBay as I could use the money for other projects.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline coater87

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 12.09. 2019 03:01 »
I know you are not serious, but to make good quality stands would require forgings to be made rather than the cast one's that can snap.

Or how about solid steel with weldments and sculpting?
 I would buy one that looked half close compared to dumping the bike.

Lee
Central Wisconsin in the U.S.

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 12.09. 2019 08:22 »
Interesting stuff. I confirm that I have the original lug on the frame. The bike previously had a sidecar attached from new, so I don't think a side stand was ever used (was one ever fitted?) as there's no wear on the lug which I assume was forged as part of the frame. Steel stands? We're moving into metallurgy here which is outside of my knowledge but  intriguing all the same  *smiley4*

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 12.09. 2019 08:53 »
Simon, the brazed on sidestand lug was introduced for 1953. You should also find the grease nipples on the rear plunger lugs point backwards.....earlier models have the nipples pointing outwards, ready to grease your trouser leg.

I would rather adapt a period part of the correct metallurgy than risk a modern pattern part made from concrete reinforcing bars sourced from recycled  Oil Tankers, half way round the World.

Sluggo's aftermarket stands using the engine mounts look to be a better design to spread the load and reduce the leverage applied to the stand pivot.

Swarfy.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 12.09. 2019 08:53 »
...The bike previously had a sidecar attached from new, so I don't think a side stand was ever used (was one ever fitted?) as there's no wear on the lug...
Same with mine. My bike had a sidecar from new. The side-stand lug is brazed? to the frame and was unused until I fitted a stand six years ago.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 12.09. 2019 09:29 »

I would rather adapt a period part of the correct metallurgy than risk a modern pattern part made from concrete reinforcing bars sourced from recycled  Oil Tankers, half way round the World.

Dead on there. I guess we've all heard the stories about snapping repro kick-starts and shade tree girder fork copies. *sad2*