Author Topic: Pinion extractor  (Read 375 times)

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Pinion extractor
« on: 25.09. 2019 13:00 »
Does anyone have a pinion extractor for sale or loan? I am taking my 1961 A10 apart and need to take off the camshaft pinion, hopefully I will only need it once.
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Pinion extractor
« Reply #1 on: 25.09. 2019 13:38 »
Unless you need to service the bushes or change the cam, the engine will come apart without the need to remove the cam gear. Otherwise a drilled flat bar and a couple of bolts to suit the tapped holes in the gear  and the usual precautions to protect the camshaft thread should pull the gear off. The hooligans' method is two tyre levers, or worse, against the crankcase. If you are tempted to use this method, warm the gear with a hot air gun. Even so, they usually come off fairly easily, not needing too much force. Otherwise separate the cases and gently tap the cam through the gear, protecting the cam threads as necessary. This is not good for the bush face, some would say. 

Sure you are not confusing cranks and cams?  The crankshaft pinion can be a variable, some quite loose, some murder tight. Before now I have resorted to homespun thin jaws ... the usual angle iron/ bolt/threaded rod/welder combination, plus a bit of gentle heat from the hot air gun.   Don't be tempted to hammer the end of the crankshaft through the pinion..... it is relatively soft, and it is easy to bugger up the threads or bend the nose of the crankshaft.

Swarfy.

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #2 on: 25.09. 2019 13:43 »
Thanks Swarfy

I will split the crankcases first. So far all I have found is bad news with one small end almost seized and the other slack.  I can’t wait to see what the crankcases have in store for me.
John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 25.09. 2019 16:46 »

.........Otherwise separate the cases and gently tap the cam through the gear, .............

*eek*  *eek*.. *bash*....NO........If yo do that ,will drive the key into the bush and gouge a big slot in it/them- better to pull the gear off
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 25.09. 2019 17:58 »
WHOOPS!! Apologies to all those with wrecked bushes. I got it slightly wrong this time. The gear will certainly pull off, but the cam shaft and its locating key may or may not pass through the bush. It depends on the size of the key, and if it is truly parallel to the bore of the bush. So err on the side of caution to avoid damage and don't do it, duTch is right, and I'm in the naughty corner.

Swarfy.

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 25.09. 2019 18:37 »
Ah

I better make a puller then, unless someone has one.

Thanks for the advice
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm