Author Topic: A10 front crash bar  (Read 1725 times)

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
A10 front crash bar
« on: 01.10. 2019 11:04 »
Ive seen this offered for sale: NEW Chrome Crash Bar for BSA B31 B33 1950s Engine Guard Motorcycle Rail Vintage. Do you think this would be suitable for fitting to an A10? It looks as if it is a repro of A Britax item. From the United States by the way.

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Re: A10 front crash bar
« Reply #1 on: 01.10. 2019 11:19 »
I cant say for sure but could be checked by those dimensions, the variable would be the pipes hitting.
I will say this, I used to look at such crash bars with disdain and smug arrogance.... Not so much anymore,, quite handy.
I was at the Portland Oregon DGR yesterday and several people took a tumble due to much rain, wet streets and slick obstacles.. We have trolley tracks that have caused many wrecks and I saw many wobbles and high sides, as well as a Harley slipped on a steel manhole cover in the street and went down.  The crash bar absorbed it all and no injuries and no serious damage.
I have one on one of my HD sportsters and intended to remove it but changed my mind.  Im leaving it . My other sporster tipped over in a parking lot and did some expensive damage (Broken shifter, damaged primary, and broken foot peg)

I WILL say,, I have seen MANY bikes with frame damage by over enthusiastic mounting and the frame tubes crimped from the mountings.  Consider a shim-spacer under the contact points to space out the clamping force so it does not crimp the tubing,

PS,,< I recently saw a vintage bike with crash bars like this, and the owner found some vintage style lights that are actually LED and super bright.  They look period style but mounted on the crash bars it was not too much but performed spectacularly in increasing the visibility of the rider to oncoming traffic as most cars never see motorcycles, But it also helped with the riders  vision as well as it really lit up the road with little current draw on the charging system.  Valuable where I live as we have a lot of wildlife on the roadways.  Mostly deer which can be devastating but recently discovered and seen pictures we have a herd of Elk down the road frequently seen grazing in a neighbors pasture.  THOSE beasties are huge!
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 01.10. 2019 11:32 »
Ive seen this offered for sale: NEW Chrome Crash Bar for BSA B31 B33 1950s Engine Guard Motorcycle Rail Vintage. Do you think this would be suitable for fitting to an A10? It looks as if it is a repro of A Britax item. From the United States by the way.

I have genuine Britax fitted front and rear to my A7ss.
They don't look like that.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #3 on: 01.10. 2019 12:16 »
Here's photos of A7 / A10 Britax crash bars (I copied from an advert some time ago for a record . . . . . may even be the ones Roy managed to buy  *smile*.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #4 on: 01.10. 2019 12:24 »
I have genuine Britax fitted front and rear to my A7ss.
They don't look like that.
RoyC you are right. the shape is similar to the genuine BSA bars but the fittings are different.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 01.10. 2019 12:38 »
Here's photos of A7 / A10 Britax crash bars (I copied from an advert some time ago for a record . . . . . may even be the ones Roy managed to buy  *smile*.

Not the ones that I purchased Roger, mine came with all of the fittings, including the bottom ones that are more robust than the ones in your photo.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline roys51a10

• Active
« Reply #6 on: 23.10. 2019 23:57 »
The crash bars fitted my A10 are larger at the bottom than the top and have a stand fitted in them not seen them on anything else.
Dads 1951 A10

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 24.10. 2019 09:05 »
Me neither. Look to be a very substantial design. Just hope its a prop stand with no chance of accidental activation! Nice period accessory, functional, rare, novel and adds to the ensemble.

Swarfy

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 24.10. 2019 09:21 »
I have a genuine Britax front crash bar fitted to my A65 and made up the fitting brackets  to suit. The problem I have with these modern copies is I fitted one to my Gold Flash some years ago and it was not until I bought a genuine Britax that I noticed the quite substantial difference in weight the Britax is made from heavy duty tube the copy that I bought was only about half the weight so was made which much thinner tube. The britax was made to do what it was designed for to help in an accident whereas I reckon the copy would maybe help in a  stationary bike falling over but if the bike was moving I do not think it would help much, I reckon they are only good for decoration.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline lawnmowerman

• Resident Legend
  • 1959 Super Rocket. Kent, England
« Reply #9 on: 24.10. 2019 11:11 »
The crash bars fitted my A10 are larger at the bottom than the top and have a stand fitted in them not seen them on anything else.
That stand looks a bit low to me - possibly an accident waiting to happen.

I think the description "crashbar" is a bit of a misnomer. Too heavy and you stand a chance of bending the frame in an accident - easier to fit a new crashbar than a new frame. I reckon they should be just strong enough to protect the engine if the bike falls over when stationary or at very low speed. Most people (including me) use them for mounting spotlamps and for a bit of bling.

Jim
1959 A10 SR
1938 Wolseley 14/60
1955 Ferguson TEF20 tractor
1965 Ferguson 135 tractor
1952 Matchless G80 rigid
1960 BMW R60
1954 Matchless G80S
1955 Ariel 500 VH
1951 Sunbeam S7DL
1960 Matchless G12 with Watsonian Monza
......and loads of lawnmowers

Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die  (Jethro Tull 1976)