Author Topic: Smiths speedo needle went around the clock past 120 and stuck there  (Read 774 times)

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
Hi Mates
Went out on the 1954 Road Rocket today, didn't go over 60mph, but the needle went past 120mph  and stayed there, open it up and it a Chrono' type, prodding and touching things till the needle shot back around to the zero, so two thing happened something made it go right around and something else stopped it returning ? anybody know what to do, I've got Jonathan Jones sheets for overhauling it but hasn't told me anything as  yet, anyone any ideas?
All the best Barry
WA

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
If the "clock" escapment stop ticking when the needle drive gear is engaged,  this is the result.  If no damage has been done, you may get away with a clean and oil (clock oil only). Continuing to use it may result in wearing/stripping of gears.
Helston, Cornwall C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
If the "clock" escapment stop ticking when the needle drive gear is engaged,  this is the result.  If no damage has been done, you may get away with a clean and oil (clock oil only). Continuing to use it may result in wearing/stripping of gears.

Ask here, he is very good.
He made a wonderful job of my speedo.
 http://www.chronometrics.co.uk/
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
I endorse Roy's recommendation. Russell is a lovely guy and knows everything about speedos.
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Offline barry2

• Moving Up
Hi Mates
Forgot to give a final result, I had a feeling the speedo square drive was slipping ( maybe flicking the speedo drive) fixed that,,cleaned and oiled  the Chrono' mechanism and put it back, it's  fine ever since
Barry
WA