Author Topic: Front brake identification  (Read 1635 times)

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Front brake identification
« Reply #15 on: 15.10. 2019 09:32 »
Julian, Thanks for that insight into the development of the brake.  Looks like I was almost right, and although the floating type shoes have different part numbers they may in fact be the same components assembled in a different way, to give a leading and trailing shoe.  Without a set to hand its just a big suppose.

A set of later easily available floating shoes may be the answer to the Rudgeman's problem.

Swarfy.

Online RogerSB

• 1960 Golden Flash, Plymouth, Devon, England
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 15.10. 2019 10:34 »
To my eye, Roger's picture above shows the shoes with a distinct location for the fixed pivot. These are likely to be the 5867/8 earlier type.
Swarfy.

Yes, your right Swarfy, leading shoe pt no 42-5867 and trailing 42-5868 for A7SS, A10 & A10SR from frames GA7-101. The pivot ends have the half hole and as you can see no steel pads. I also believe the later floating type are the same except for the position of the lining and steel pads and no doubt pt nos.

I'll take some photos to compare both types I have and add them here later. (Edit): Here they are.

1960 Golden Flash

Offline Rudgeman

• Moving Up
« Reply #17 on: 15.10. 2019 11:12 »
Thanks to you all for clearing up my confusion on this. I'll buy some Feked shoes and then see if my 0.1mm runout still causes juddering.
Kind regards,
                        R

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #18 on: 15.10. 2019 13:52 »
Im my experience incorrect lining placement can cause brakes to grab or be inefficient, but rarely judder. Pretty sure your problem is drum runout.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #19 on: 15.10. 2019 21:23 »
Give Gary a call. A set of shoes from him completely transformed my 7” FWH rear brakes from practically non-existing to a tyre squealer.
https://business.facebook.com/GPMotosAnciennes/
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #20 on: 15.10. 2019 21:37 »
I had exactly the same issue with my 58 SR front brake. .1mm runout and old shoes. I replaced the shoes with ones from the UK (they may well have been from Feked). They were too wide and needed cutting down which I did with a 1mm cutting disk. They also required a larger diameter pivot pin so I bushed my original. The juddering remained the same so I stripped the hub and machined it on a sufficently large lathe. It turned out that the runout wasn't a simple oviality but was more of a judder area. I needed to take out the best part of .25mm to get a clean surface but that combined with removing the high spots on the new shoes has resulted in a good smooth front brake.
NZ

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #21 on: 15.10. 2019 21:41 »
Hi All,
I'm sure this has been previously written about?
The Shoes from
https://business.facebook.com/GPMotosAnciennes/
Are the correct thickness for the rear fitment where as almost all available pattern rear shoes have too thin a lining. This means the hub lever cannot work at its optimum angle, add to this the cable levers wind up all over the place
No wonder the brakes get a bad name

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Gerry

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #22 on: 16.10. 2019 01:39 »
Just my pennyworth......I had a judder in my front brake which was also not the best for braking but after coming off the bike and damaging the left front slider I had to get a secondhand pair, judder gone! So in my opinion it was wear in the sliders causing the judder. Cheers. Gerry

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 16.10. 2019 07:38 »
Just had a quick look at the MotosAnciennes.  Found a useful phrase that shows brake problems are the same in French.

"Le frein avant est merde sur mon Norton."

Quite a useful conversational gambit, n'est ce pas?

A  bientot, mes amis.

Swarfique.