Author Topic: My A10 for sale-  (Read 1390 times)

Offline dodmo

• Aberdeen, Scotland
  • Moving Up
My A10 for sale-
« on: 16.10. 2019 20:03 »
I'm reluctantly selling my A10... Its currently on Gumtree here Regardless of what I say in the ad if you contact me via the forum with a pm  I'll consider any reasonable offers.
No longer on Gumtree now on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184004467598
No longer on eBay for reasons discussed below.
Still open to offers from forum members
Cheers
Dod

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
Re: My A10 for sale-
« Reply #1 on: 16.10. 2019 21:50 »
Dodmo you mention the oil flow. if its spitting air bubbles into the tank with oil flow its working ok

Offline dodmo

• Aberdeen, Scotland
  • Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 16.10. 2019 22:57 »
to be honest I don't remember the details but there was a significant change in the flow from when it had been idling in the garage prior to driving, and when I came back. It concerned me enough to lay the bike up pending further investigation rather than risk permanently damaging the engine. I had two of my bikes on the bench already and didn't want it to end up as a few boxes of bits under the bench so I put it away for a later date.

12 years later and I'm retired or self-unemployed as I like to call it. So I need to raise some cash from my stockpile of bikes, clear my feet and concentrate on getting one finished.
Unfortunately the A10 is the first to go because its the easiest one to sell.
But thanks for your suggestion I'll mention it to the new owner.
Cheers
Dod

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 17.10. 2019 09:45 »
I don't remember the details but there was a significant change in the flow from when it had been idling in the garage prior to driving

Possibly  while in the shed idling it was clearing surplus oil in the sump from standing (wet sumping) which would give full flow without air bubbles, then once the sump was cleared on a run you would be back to normal return flow with air bubbles due to the extra capacity return flow compared to the feed side
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline dodmo

• Aberdeen, Scotland
  • Moving Up
« Reply #4 on: 17.10. 2019 17:36 »
normal return flow with air bubbles

i gave this some thought today and, as far as I remember, while it was idling in the garage the oil flow was regular, generous, pulses of oil squirting forcefully into the tank, it was idling for quite a while (10 - 15 min) while I tinkered with the carb to get a reasonable idle speed and I checked it again before going out.
After going round the block the oil was more of an intermittent frothy dribble.
My reaction at the time may have been slightly paranoid due to having seized more than one BSA engine in the early seventies but the point is I want any potential buyer to know that this bike could have a problem which they will need to investigate.
cheers
Dod

Offline dodmo

• Aberdeen, Scotland
  • Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 23.10. 2019 08:23 »
No interest on Gumtree so I've put it on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184004467598

cheers
Dod

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 23.10. 2019 08:28 »
Might do best in the free small ads at the back of the Classic Monthlies. I sold my Morini from those recently. Got loads of interest after a load of messing around from pointless chancers on ebay.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline dodmo

• Aberdeen, Scotland
  • Moving Up
« Reply #7 on: 23.10. 2019 08:40 »
Never thought of that... I haven't bought a real magazine in years, *computer* If I have any problems with the eBay sale I'll give it a go
cheers
Dod

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 23.10. 2019 09:20 »
dodmo, as you have found by now eBay is all fine and dandy for spreading the word to folks who are actively looking to purchase. Your excellent listing tells the story, you've got bids.

With active bids you cannot alter certain details, and one thing I would never do is involve PayPal for the sale of valuable and complicated items, vehicles in particular. PayPal will take a fee for processing the payment, and also a disgruntled punter can work the system to get a full refund, and as such is a scammers hunting ground. Without a bid you could have removed the PayPal reference. To have put Cash on Collection only, in the listing, would also sort out the realists from the dreamers.

Insist on Cash on Collection, sold as seen, thanks and goodbye. Anyone serious will never buy unseen, so be prepared to be reasonably accommodating to arrange viewing, but don't haggle on a firm bid, that is what someone is prepared to pay on the day. If they don't like what they see in the flesh, and won't honour what they bid, fine. You will have slightly lower bids, so give the second chance offer or you can try again or elsewhere.

As an aside, the bike seems to be performing well, and as long as the oil tank level stays more or less the same after a run, it is working fine. Someone may turn up to view before the listing ends, see if you will  haggle, and then you have a dilemma. Take the money, cancel the listing or let it run. This is why things on eBay are there one day and then mysteriously "no longer available."

Good luck, you should be successful. 

Swarfy.

Offline dodmo

• Aberdeen, Scotland
  • Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 25.10. 2019 11:44 »
Thanks Swarfy,
I have pulled the listing as I cannot find the registration document.
I have it somewhere, however it is one of the earlier blue V5's and it is not in my name (but it is accompanied by a bill of sale from the registered keeper )
As far as I could see from their profiles none of the bidders was a BSA enthusiast and I don't think this bike is right for someone hoping to turn a quick profit, so they shouldn't be too disappointed. *roll* *roll*

As for the paypal thing. Paypal was for a deposit only. if anyone had tried to pay the whole amount  I would have immediately refunded it. As you say the fees and chargeback problems are too much.
regards
Dod

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 25.10. 2019 16:39 »
Point of order there. That Paypal deposit only thing doesn't work anymore. Ebay/Paypal will automatically issue an invoice for the full purchase amount and it can't be altered or amended either.
Bought and sold a few bikes on Ebay over the years (including one from the US and two from the continent) and so far, touch wood, they've all been just as described and no problems of any sort. Obviously seeing the beast in the flesh is the most preferable way to do business, but traveling hundreds of miles on spec isn't really a practical option for most buyers.
Does anyone ever buy/sell a bike through the classic small ads? Whenever I've phoned up the person always says something like "sorry mate, I sold that months ago". At least with Ebay it's all done-and-dusted within a week.

Offline dodmo

• Aberdeen, Scotland
  • Moving Up
« Reply #11 on: 25.10. 2019 16:56 »
That Paypal deposit only thing doesn't work anymore. Ebay/Paypal will automatically issue an invoice for the full purchase amount and it can't be altered or amended either
Really? I chose "cash on collection only" as the payment option and only mentioned the paypal deposit in the other payment options, which is a text field. For ebay to do what you say would break the primary choice option.
regards
Dod

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 25.10. 2019 18:50 »
dodmo. I changed address and still had a bike on the old blue V5. Sent it off to be updated and as the bike had been asleep when SORN was introduced, the DVLA said SORN was unnecessary.

Worth applying for a new document, this proves title, keeps the reg no. on the system and adds value and ease of sale if and when. BSA Owners club has information about the various scenarios that apply to old vehicles as regards taxation etc. This information is available to non members, being on the open part of the website.

For our world wide members....DVLA .... An agency of the UK Government that looks after all aspects of vehicle standards, operation and licensing. SORN... Statutory Off Road Notification.. With certain exceptions, a vehicle has to be declared to be not on a public road. If it is on a public road must be insured and taxed whether in use or not.

Speaking of tax, how nice that our system collects the best part of two month's tax whenever a vehicle is bought and sold, even though buyer and seller can not enjoy this taxed period to the full extent, as the system only refunds by the month, not by the day.

Swarfy.

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 25.10. 2019 21:17 »

Really? I chose "cash on collection only" as the payment option and only mentioned the paypal deposit in the other payment options, which is a text field. For ebay to do what you say would break the primary choice option.
regards
Dod

If you chose "cash on collection" then presumably the Paypal payment email message/invoice isn't triggered. I suppose Ebay/Paypal were getting fed up with losing fees by sellers asking for part Paypal and the rest in cash.
This was the way it was when I bought the A7   2,1/2 years ago from a bloke in the West Country and earlier this year with a Panther from Worcestershire. Both sellers wriggled like a snake with piles to avoid the hefty Paypal fees but both had to admit defeat in the end.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 26.10. 2019 09:36 »
  Now that eBay and PayPal are separate, as long as eBay get their final value fee, the use of PayPal in the listing seems compulsory, but in practice is not. That is the way the system is still set up. Anyone using PayPal on a bulky collection item must be the exception...they are collecting, why not pay then?
 Oddball stuff I have sold "Cash on Collection" include Lawnmowers, Gas boiler, an Oak Log, Furniture etc. The buyers came, looked, agreed the stuff was as described, paid and away.  My feeling is if the item is not as expected, buyer and seller just walk away. No point arguing or haggling with some chancer, just cancel the sale and try again.

Swarfy.