Author Topic: Paint  (Read 505 times)

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
Paint
« on: 16.11. 2019 08:16 »
Good morning one and all. Although I haven't posted here for quite a while, I have been lurking as a matter of interest.  After the engine rebuild on my Flash, the bike has been used on club runs etc., and has been a pleasure to ride. 
 One occurrence that stood out which may be of interest on here:  I fitted a pan type air filter, and after a few months, during the course of routine maintenance, upon removal I discovered that half of the paper filter had burned away, obviously indicating the presence of naked flame so the filter has been removed so I (or others)! can see what's going on.  Timing checks and advance etc have all checked out ok, so I'll keep an eye on it.  I also managed to end up with the bike on top of me when I failed to take a proper stance kick starting it while  astride the bike.  Embarrassing or what?
 I have, of course, experienced a the need for a few other minor adjustments, but all in all, I consider it to be a really good bike.

It would appear that I now need to turn my attention to the frame, as one or two rather large chunks have flaked off, exposing a yellowish "undercoat", which is a bit of a pain to say the least. Not sure when / if I'll do it though.
'59 GF

Offline bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: 16.11. 2019 10:27 »
managed to end up with the bike on top of me

Hi Zander
was the above incident before or after the discovery of the burnt element in the filter, I'm thinking if it was before then petrol would have escaped from the carb into the filter and it would just take a bachfire to do the rest.
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 16.11. 2019 19:23 »
G'day Zander.
Do you know what type of paint was used on the frame? I'd use nail polish to hide the yellow till it's time for repair.
I'm with Bill on the air cleaner.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Zander

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 17.11. 2019 08:19 »
 It was a while ago, but I reckon the flame out took place after toppling over, so Bill is most likely spot on.  The only incident that stands out was during a club ride.  We'd reached our destination and had a bit of lunch, and after setting off on the homeward journey, I started to get severe spitting and erratic running, but after about 1/4 mile, it cleared itself and was ok for the rest of the ride.  That's when I stripped the carb and found the burned filter.
I bought this bike as an "older restoration" and its in fairly good order.  Due to finding 0.023 end float at the crankshaft, I had to strip the engine and sort it.  I replaced the oil pump with a rebuilt item which provides a very healthy return flow, but it wet sumps quite heavily, probably due to lack of regular use,  so I always drain it before starting up.  A friend who has had a Rocket for over 50 years has fitted a Bri tie valve (not sure if that's how its spelled) so I might look into that, although I'm very wary of any restrictions regarding oil flow! The frame was showing signs of flaking when I had engine out, but I wanted to ride it so left it alone, but now, as I mentioned, a few large flakes have come off and I reckon it was painted using powder coat.
Thanks for the comments, gentlemen *thanks*
'59 GF

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.11. 2019 09:39 »
Back in the day, when stove enamel was the usual factory finish, and as a youth, a paintbrush was your only realistic option, it was a coat of Dulux Chromate  Primer and a topcoat or two of Black house paint. Those more well heeled enthusiastic perfectionists used Tekaloid Coach Enamel and painted in a dust free environment.....probably the bathroom. So, as an early resto, the yellow is likely to be some sort of primer, still doing a good job

The advent of powder coat changed that. It was a cheap, quick and generally serviceable and consistent industrial finish. Great for clean, new metal.  As new technology everyone got on the bandwagon, all with varying standards, were the truth known. The usual way in those days for Mr Average (me) to get his bits done at the cheapest price was by getting it added to someone else's batch for a cash job. This assumed, of course, that all powder coating was to the same high standard. We know better now.  Despite assurances, you can bet it went through with the minimum of preparation, and a single thin coat was the result. Plus of course the coating showed every rust pit and imperfection, and you were lucky to get back all the bits, as the typical working environment of that establishment in the back streets of Digbeth, Birmingham in the 1980's, was a bit chaotic.

Powder coatings can appear OK even when the substrate is rusting. As anyone with an Austin Metro or Land Rover with powder coated bumpers usually found out the hard way when they picked a small blister and were able to remove big strips of the finish.

Unless the bike warrants true perfection, modern smooth direct to metal paints will do a good job. Alas, the choice of colour can be limited, as Henry Ford said.

Swarfy.

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #5 on: 19.11. 2019 09:34 »
As i have said many times,
Powder coating is a process for applying a coating to metals.
Just the same as spray painting is a process and dipping is a process.
There are thousands of powder coatings, from fully vitrified enamel that chemically & mechanically bonds to the slightly rusted surface, right down to pvc envelopes packed out with fillers that falls off in massive lumps
Bike Beesa
Trevor