Author Topic: Gold Star?  (Read 852 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
Gold Star?
« on: 28.10. 2019 10:52 »
I got in trouble on FaceAche for saying something negative about someones bike, so I'm not going to say anything about a Goldie with NO BRAKES! Also, no mudguards. A very practical motorbike?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Gold Star?
« Reply #1 on: 28.10. 2019 11:22 »
I got in trouble on FaceAche for saying something negative about someones bike, so I'm not going to say anything about a Goldie with NO BRAKES! Also, no mudguards. A very practical motorbike?

No lights either.
Perhaps he can't afford the missing bits yet.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.10. 2019 12:36 »
Or maybe a B34 "Speedway Racer" as mention in the below Hap Alzina Bulletins from 1957?  No pictures though.

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.10. 2019 12:48 »
Or maybe a B34 "Speedway Racer" as mention in the below Hap Alzina Bulletins from 1957?  No pictures though.

He wouldn't like to ride it on a speedway with no mudguards.
There would be nothing left of his face with the cinders flying. *eek*
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.10. 2019 13:37 »
Judging by the bars, tyres and filter, definitely dirt track of some sort.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 28.10. 2019 15:13 »
AH back to a recent post --- Wall of Death???
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 28.10. 2019 19:06 »
Hi All,
Surprised at you lot  *????* who seem unaware of USA 1/2 mile oval racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_fi_VdByLI

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 28.10. 2019 20:08 »
Hi All,
Surprised at you lot  *????* who seem unaware of USA 1/2 mile oval racing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_fi_VdByLI

John
I can see some levers on handlebars
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 28.10. 2019 20:22 »
Thats Dick Mann's BSA Flat tracker, Oh the temerity to mock "The Mann".  Even in his senior years leaves the punters in the dust. (I once followed him around a race track up in Washington state, what little I could see of him disappearing in a cloud of flying dirt on a AHRMA MX track, I am humbled to have even been in his presence)  The man is a class act. 
I have one of these in project form.   One of the other list members here and on BritBike has confirmed the motor has competed on a national level and gave me the dates and rider.  The motor came from a Calif Racer, its been somewhat modded.

If you look around there is official BSA Blue prints on the frame construction, also Ray Hensley built a limited number of rigid and swing arm Trackmaster frames as well.  Assuming you lot have heard of Track master?   

I did not have the opportunity to discuss at length with Mr Mann, he is shy and quiet unless he knows you well and I dont have that privilege but  he seems to have migrated away from BSAs and instead rode Monarchs when I saw him, The Swedish? Version of a Goldstar.

I also have some history of him in the early 1960s in a article I wrote for Old Bike Journal about the Indoor speedway bikes on a circuit here in the Pacific NW,, Stripped down Speedway bikes racing with no brakes on Polished Concrete floors in a variety of venues including here in Portland Oregon.   Back in the day Sports journalists had a interesting bit of flair in their writing and nicknamed him "Spoke Speedster" and the rest were "Cycle Aces".   I have photos and period news clippings thanks to a local historian of MC racing Jim Skinner who restored one of these bikes called "Saturday Night Slider" A stripped down and hot rodded Triumph Cub.

Dick Mann rode a borrowed one often but it was problematic for a BSA Sponsored rider to mount a Triumph in competition  but no one lost their mind over it.   Im including the "Right Mann" himself,, aka "Mann of his time" (A great book under that title, well worth a read!) Showing proper form and technique.

Also here he is with a Swing arm Trackmaster as well.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #9 on: 28.10. 2019 20:27 »
Ooops, inserted the wrong one,,, here he is.

And heres the book, Great read!
See: https://www.amazon.com/Mann-His-Time-Ed-Youngblood/dp/188431340X

" America has never produced a more accomplished and versatile professional motorcycle racer. Dick Mann held a position in the prestigious top ten in the American Motorcyclist Association Grand National Championship for 16 years, was the first man in history to win every category of AMA Grand National competition, was America's team captain at the Trans-Atlantic Match Races in Great Britain in 1971, was twice AMA Grand National Champion, won the Daytona 200 twice, and much more. Mann pioneered race track safety and influenced major political changes within the American Motorcyclist Association."

&

" Motorcycle Consumer News
November 2009

"I count the moments that I've been able to spend in the presence of Dick Mann among the greatest experiences in my lifetime as a motorcycle enthusiast.  Heck, my high school football number was even 64!  So I never hesitate to unashamedly pimp Mann's autobiography, Mann of His Time by Ed Youngblood, which is my all-time favorite motorcycle read.  If you haen't read this indepth look at a man who is truly one of the cornerstones of our sport, then you are missing out.  This guy has done it all, ranking him in the company of other immortals such as Kenny Roberts and Malcolm Smith, and Youngblood's book captures it all in brilliant narrative and period-era photos.  If you're like me, you'll find yourself returning to read this one about once or twice a year, making Mann of His Time a timeless gift."
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

ironhead

« Reply #10 on: 28.10. 2019 20:44 »
One of the best movies I've seen is "On Any Sunday", shows a fair bit of him in that & other aspects of AMA racing at that time ( 1971). Bought the remastered DVD a few years ago, Fantastic.

Online Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #11 on: 28.10. 2019 22:22 »
Of course, the FB poster did not say anything about the bike.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline Sluggo

• Resident Legend
« Reply #12 on: 28.10. 2019 23:42 »
Of course, the FB poster did not say anything about the bike.

Well,,, I dont know the  context of the facebook post, All I can tell you is about that bike.  There is a few more out there and I find them interesting.  I have somewhere the factory blue prints and they are posted online in several forums, might even be a copy here.

Here is what I believe is a photo of a bare one.  As to my opinions of FB,, Feel free to share these images

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 29.10. 2019 04:16 »
Fastbuck.

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 29.10. 2019 11:00 »
Flat trackers run a rear brake so as to 'back it in'.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza