Author Topic: Tracking Bike Movements  (Read 464 times)

Offline magnum1973

• Active
Tracking Bike Movements
« on: 23.10. 2019 09:03 »
I have only recently purchased a Bike in boxes and semi complete. My question is am I able to find out more about the whereabouts the bike has been round the world using engine and frame numbers? Pretty random question maybe? I am very new to the motorbike seen, but would be nice if there were websites out there that could point me in the right direction. Cheers
NZ

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Tracking Bike Movements
« Reply #1 on: 23.10. 2019 09:27 »
G'day magnum.
First I would check the BSAOC for dispatch records as to where it went from the factory. Then follow the oil trail.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 23.10. 2019 11:55 »
You could check for the GPS tracking chip installed in the frame before it left the factory.  *whistle*

Richard L.

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 23.10. 2019 17:37 »
Love Musky's comment re following the oil trail.
Richard - now now, the guy's a new member and may not realise you're taking the pi**.
When I started boating in the late 60's we didn't even have Decca - that was only on hire for fishing boats (at some cost). Decca to purchase arrived around 1980 and GPS maybe ten years or so after that. Pity they did away with DF - always preferred compass, log and DF.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #4 on: 28.10. 2019 03:52 »
as per Muskrats suggestion the UK BSAOC should be able to tell you where it was despatched to. Hopefully it was a NZ new machine as if you dont have paperwork regarding it's history, this will really help when it comes time to reregister with LTNZ. If it wasnt a NZ new machine you'll probably need help through the NZ VCC to get it through the hoops with the various exemptions for lighting etc and no guarantees. If its known to have been imported later in its life with no papers you can have real problems if you cannot document its import. 
http://vcc.org.nz/
Where are you based in NZ, the NZ BSAOC is active in the bigger centres.
https://bsaoc.co.nz/
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand