Author Topic: Sludge trap hack: a hole in the crankcase  (Read 2119 times)

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sludge trap hack: a hole in the crankcase
« Reply #15 on: 03.11. 2019 17:04 »
TT,

Thank you for saying it for me. I hope what Anthony heard was a resounding, "Bad idea!," without reflecting negatively on himself or his relative, whatsover, for an attempted brain storm. It's good that he asked here first.

Richard L.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #16 on: 03.11. 2019 17:10 »
This:

*warn* *warn* I agree musky I wouldn't even clean one out without shells removed

So not even in the far vicinity of any possible purism \ originality \ denature discussion, we're talking avoiding very serious engine damage, poking inside the sludge with zero control could (will?) have consequences.

btw, if one wants a sludge "modification" ...fully cleaned engine > oil filter > detergent oil.

To OP, relax, ideas about modifications are very welcome, and lots of interesting information got posted in this topic.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 04.11. 2019 09:35 »
Another one of those many theories where doing the proposed short cut would take longer and be less effective than the usual time-honoured method. Incidentally how would you "close" the access hole? Impossible to weld or tap and plug with the engine assembled.

Offline AnthonyA

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 04.11. 2019 16:10 »
I just wanted to apologize in advance, in case I offended anyone. These bikes are rare, and I'd fully understand if someone, reading my first post, would be angry at me or something.

I did not sense that in all your answers, that were very helpful ! But for future readers maybe, so I wanted to leave a little disclaimer.

I wanted to say that I intend to respect the machine, and not butcher it. And that's also why I come here to seek guidance from you guys, to exchange on these wonderful bikes, but also before making stupid mistakes, thinking it would be good. I'm newborn in the BSA world, and I know the bare minimum... I'm clueless on lot of whys and wherefores.

So thank you for helping me ! *smiley4*
A10 Road Rocket (swing-arm)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #19 on: 04.11. 2019 18:31 »
G'day Ant.
No worries mate. There's no such thing as a stupid question. There might be a few daft answers *ex*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Triton Thrasher

• Scotland
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 04.11. 2019 19:45 »
It’s not an apologising matter.  It’s an old machine that belongs to you.

I’m sure everyone here wants you to have a good riding experience and that’s why they say what they do.

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #21 on: 04.11. 2019 20:08 »
Basically, very good move you came here first ...not after the drilling  *smile*

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline AnthonyA

• Moving Up
« Reply #22 on: 04.11. 2019 22:03 »
Yeah haha, I'm already amazingly lucky to have the bike, complete. But no spares, so it's pretty much "one shot, one opportunity" regarding modifications.
On my cheap Honda I could go crazy and try stuff, that's how I learned my way around a bike by the way, but that time's over... Time to get serious !
A10 Road Rocket (swing-arm)

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 04.11. 2019 22:13 »

....On my cheap Honda I could go crazy and try stuff, ..

That's already been done on these when they also were cheap and in abundance, and occasionally someone will ask "what's this for...'
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #24 on: 04.11. 2019 22:25 »
When I was at Uni many eons ago before the internet; I destroyed several (luckily only triumph) twin engines because I couldnt figure how to get the sludge traps out or even realised how critical they were. I just tried flushing and flushing until they ran clean. They would still self destruct . I think it was crank number three I got properly clean having got the trap out  (probably done by an engineer this was in the early 80's) and I thrashed that engine for years afterwards with no issues.
So its something of a religious ritual that I clean my sludge traps and my engines have been nice and bullet proof.
Do it properly and its done. Dont mess with shortcuts.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
« Reply #25 on: 05.11. 2019 11:05 »
And Anthony,
It is YOUR bike & YOUR BIKE alone
So what you do to it is YOUR business and YOUR BUSINESS ALONE.
We will make recommendations which you are free to take up or ignore.
A10's are not particularly rare ( Except where you are ) but a few trips to the UK should have you stocked up on enough spares to keep you on the road.
But you better get cracking while the UK is still part of the EU.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: 05.11. 2019 17:39 »
I really hope that last comment doesn't turn into yet another Brexit slanging match. I work on old bikes to get away from that tripe on the 24/7 media.

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 05.11. 2019 19:09 »
No real rush or sense of urgency required, then, judging by the established rate of progress achieved by our elected representatives.......

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #28 on: 05.11. 2019 20:28 »
Steady chaps.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #29 on: 05.11. 2019 21:01 »
My engine is a good example of doing what I want; I have machined 1/2 an inch off the barrels, chopped a damaged primary case, so hardly original... If I could source one I'd fit an alloy barrel and aim for more cubes.

Its yours to enjoy and I doubt anyone on the forum wants you to not enjoy it. A10's (and A7's) were bikes for the people and not collectables. shiny, shabby or custom, doesn't matter.

I'd love to see a picture of your bike, is it on a thread here somewhere?

Enjoy the journey! I'm off around east cape on one of my old bikes for the next 5 days riding. Fixing/fettling/riding all part of the journey.
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand