Author Topic: WTB- Superflash Frame.  (Read 1098 times)

Offline Mick

• Moving Up
WTB- Superflash Frame.
« on: 24.11. 2019 18:04 »
Looking for a 1953 Superflash frame.
Name your price.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: WTB- Superflash Frame.
« Reply #1 on: 24.11. 2019 18:50 »
G'day Mick,  *welcome*
Looking for hens teeth would be easier  *lol*
Now get over to Introductions and give us the lowdown.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 24.11. 2019 19:53 »
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #3 on: 25.11. 2019 08:05 »
 *lol* *lol* *lol* *lol* *grins* *sarcastic*
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 25.11. 2019 11:11 »
Approx 200 + made, they grow on trees.  Somewhere I have notes on total production of all of them and a few went to Australia, a couple to Europe and the rest to here in the USA.

I have a modified one, but its a project bike.  Doubt you can wave enough $$$$$$ to purchase it.
But does seem a bit odd to come on as a new member requesting that rare alloy Un-ob-tain-ium without a intro or background first.

Mine is being built into a tribute to Kenny Eggers, and believed this might have been one of his bikes at one point.  (Not his factory supplied one)
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 25.11. 2019 12:24 »
Would it be possible to modify a standard frame?
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 25.11. 2019 15:28 »

There's a fair amount of talk about this if anyone wants to do a search for 'Super flash'- even a guy who had a engine and frame for sale a couple of years ago

.......Approx 200 + made, they grow on trees.  .......
I seem to recall a debate a while ago that there was something like ~628 made and a chart of where they went to, but the numbers didn't add up by a couple for some reason (I didn't pass maths at school though, but mainly because of >? & ?< & algorithms *eek*- better now though) 
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 25.11. 2019 23:58 »
Would it be possible to modify a standard frame?

Yes, it certainly is possible, the only reason for the dogleg in the downtube is for the hotsy-totsy carbs and in some cases the bell mouth intakes.  The Dogleg serves no other purpose, other than that, Im sure there is some unusual tabs or bolt bosses and certainly more oil capacity but by & large the bike is merely a hot rodded Golden flash.  Certainly easy to duplicate.  It should be noted that many people had the opinion that it made the bike fast enough to be a tad bit frightening to ride, although to be fair, the Sprung hub Triumph was similar in challenging traits at high speeds.

But my frame was modified and there is pictures of it in a thread here.  Still not 100% certain but we believe it was modified by Kenny Eggers to be similar to the factory race bikes he often rode.  Its also likely it was someone he was associated with who did the work to my frame, but regardless I believe my project was at one time a bike owned by Eggers.

As to Dutches comments, YES,, the breakdown has been documented how many were produced and where they were shipped (2 IIRC went to South Africa?)  Its also discussed here.   But not many were made, fewer still survive. The Salient point is they were a stop gap factory performance bike, mostly to satisfy US demands for a sports-racing model and were never intended to be a long running production.

**** EDIT, the photos I just posted here and elsewhere here on this forum are of Eggers rigid frame race bikes, that is because, most of the photos I have gleaned are of his factory race bike which was a rigid, not a plunger, but had the same Dogleg modification that the factory did on the Plunger/Sprung Superflash frames.   A small but important distinction.

Study the pictures of my modified rigid frame I have on a seperate topic,, Its been determined that its unlikely my frame had the dogleg modified at the factory, but we have not ruled it out either, But it has been well done whoever did it.     

#### I had planned to build a "Hot-Flash" modified Golden Flash with late crank and rods, hot cam, alloy head, higher comp pistons and improved oiling,  But that plan changed when I got the rigid race frame and evolved,.  I have posted extensively on that topic here.  Still on the back burner, but its still on the agenda.
My project has also been checked out by a few other BSA experts including BritTwit.  I have had several offers to sell it.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline BritTwit

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 26.11. 2019 00:15 »
I did some research with the machine registrar with the BSAOC in the U.K. last year.
Here's the Canadian figures:  30 total

Canada
British Columbia               Frank Deeley, Vancouver, BC                                      17
Newfoundland                 Edwin Murry, LTD, St. John's
Nova Scotia                         British Car Sales LTD, Halifax
Ontario                                 Brown's Sports & Cycle Co. LTD, Toronto                 4
Quebec                                Arlington Cycle & Sports LTD, Montreal                    7
Saskatchewan                   Nicholson Brothers, Saskatoon                                   2

There may have been smaller sub dealers, but I would guess the bikes were first dispatched to above six.  Mine is one of the two sent to Nicholson Brothers.

Offline Mick

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 08.11. 2020 13:12 »
Ok so here is an update... a while ago I was looking to buy a S/F frame. Well I finally found one and imported it from the UK to AUS. It was a seemless transaction with a helpful seller. It’s been painted and I’m in the process of changing every thing over.
 (I have a S/F motor but it was in an A7 frame).
 The only thing that bugs me is only 5 of the S/F’s had matching frame and engine numbers and mine was one of them (611) My late Grandfather did a lot of research on these bikes which I have. 
 I am in the process of updating all the where about of the Superflash and have started a fb page called “BSA Superflash Registry”. The issue is no one and I understand is willing to give their numbers to a stranger on social media.
Cheers.
Mick.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 08.11. 2020 14:08 »
Hi Mick,
Well done on persevering with your project *smile*
Having matching frame and engine numbers on older model BSA's is purely coincidental , in fact it points to skulduggey a lot of the time  *eek*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #11 on: 08.11. 2020 19:18 »
G'day Mick.
Only one way around that. *whistle*
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 08.11. 2020 20:57 »
Mick, is your bike the one that was based on the Central Coast of N.S.W.?

Offline Mick

• Moving Up
« Reply #13 on: 09.11. 2020 10:38 »
Yes it sure is(was). It was my late Grandfathers. He was a founding member of the Central Coast Classic Motorcycle Club.

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 09.11. 2020 21:01 »
Would you be Ian's son?