Author Topic: Oil tank banjo joint leak  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Rangerjack

• Active
  • 1959 A10 Golden Flash
Oil tank banjo joint leak
« on: 25.11. 2019 00:11 »
Hi, just joined  *smile* and this problem may have been dealt with before, but I have oil weeping from the top tank banjo joint (A10 golden Flash 1959). I've partially removed the tank to investigate and found that there's only 1 fibre washer on the inboard side of the banjo joint.  Never seen a banjo without 2 washers before.  I am pretty sure it needs 2, checked in the BSA spares parts book 54-57 catalogue No 00-5003 however that doesn't even list the banjo joint for the swinging arm model  *conf* .

My questions - is the banjo attaching bolt not long enough to accept 2 washers? is there a better sized alternative washer (copper or dowty) that would fit?  if it requires 2 fibre washers what sizes are they?

If anyone could advise I'd be grateful, thanks.

Pic attached

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
Re: Oil tank banjo joint leak
« Reply #1 on: 25.11. 2019 02:39 »
mine used to leak and i spent ages trying to sort it. have a look at priory magnetos for diagrams.

my notes say:
between banjo and tank:
 - 02-2894 -  FIBRE WASHER - 1/2" X 11/16" (aka = 40-3089 15/32 bore drain washer?)
between banjo and nut:
 - 15-0203          FIBRE WASHER - ROCKER OIL FEED  PIPE - A7/A10 - 9/16" X  13/16" 2MM!
   - ?= 99-1153 = -1054 622/151

I half recall skimming the nut (42-8320) thickness a bit to make it all fit, especially with the fat outer washer. and I think i used a thinner outer washer - all fibre. I tried aluminium washers and that didn't help at all.

also check if the banjo has been warped by over-tightening - that will make it leak.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 25.11. 2019 07:14 »
Hi, just joined  *smile* and this problem may have been dealt with before, but I have oil weeping from the top tank banjo joint (A10 golden Flash 1959). I've partially removed the tank to investigate and found that there's only 1 fibre washer on the inboard side of the banjo joint.  Never seen a banjo without 2 washers before.  I am pretty sure it needs 2, checked in the BSA spares parts book 54-57 catalogue No 00-5003 however that doesn't even list the banjo joint for the swinging arm model  *conf* .

My questions - is the banjo attaching bolt not long enough to accept 2 washers? is there a better sized alternative washer (copper or dowty) that would fit?  if it requires 2 fibre washers what sizes are they?

Pic attached

Check this diagram on Priory magnetos   -  https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/oil-tank-and-tool-box
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline Rangerjack

• Active
  • 1959 A10 Golden Flash
« Reply #3 on: 26.11. 2019 02:04 »
 *thanks* thanks mikeb, appreciated.
mine used to leak and i spent ages trying to sort it. have a look at priory magnetos for diagrams.

my notes say:
between banjo and tank:
 - 02-2894 -  FIBRE WASHER - 1/2" X 11/16" (aka = 40-3089 15/32 bore drain washer?)
between banjo and nut:
 - 15-0203          FIBRE WASHER - ROCKER OIL FEED  PIPE - A7/A10 - 9/16" X  13/16" 2MM!

I half recall skimming the nut (42-8320) thickness a bit to make it all fit, especially with the fat outer washer. and I think i used a thinner outer washer - all fibre. I tried aluminium washers and that didn't help at all.

also check if the banjo has been warped by over-tightening - that will make it leak.

Offline Rangerjack

• Active
  • 1959 A10 Golden Flash
« Reply #4 on: 26.11. 2019 02:13 »
Thanks RoyC.  The link is very helpful it clearly shows the fibre washers and Pt Nos, I've also identified some ring in parts on the machine that shouldn't be part of the upper attachment as well !! Searched and found a site called Draganfly from which I've ordered the correct fittings.  *thanks*

Pic attached

Check this diagram on Priory magnetos   -  https://sites.google.com/site/priorymagnetos/oil-tank-and-tool-box

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 26.11. 2019 04:03 »
Draganfly also offer the foam (soft) rectangular packing that sandwiches between the outside of the frame rail, and the rear of the oil tank (above the oil tank securing bracket).

Suggest you get one, if there is not currently stuck to the outside of the frame rail.

Do not overtighten the toggle bolt which pulls the oil tank up against this packer.

Too much tension (and / or vibration) can cause the brackets welded to the back of the oil tank to crack the tank, and cause leaks which appear to be coming from the banjo nut immediately below.

Difficult to find, cause of persistent leaking. The tank may require removal from the bike to identify the leak; seal the inlet and outlet ports with BSP caps, re-fill with oil and suspend the tank. Eventually the source of the leak will show, and you will be able to see clearly where it is occurring.

Can be resolved with soft solder over the crack.

How do I know this......?

Richard

beezermacc

« Reply #6 on: 26.11. 2019 08:26 »
Delighted that members of the forum are being directed to my site so that they can identify the parts they want to order from Draganfly!! Not bothered really, just seems a bit ironic!!

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 26.11. 2019 08:53 »
the irony is noted and shared Andrew. turns out I order these exact parts from you over 2 years back.

Richards's caution about not over-tightening the oil tank toggle bolt is also worth noting - when i got my SR it had a homemade fitting from the PO that in ignorance I tightened firmly. Consequently when we stopped en-route to a rally our own Rocket Racer informed me my oil tank had split down the front seam with half its contents on the ground outside a public building - I hadn't noticed! it was a long evening with RTV, instant metal and gaffer tape to patch it up to make the rally. lesson learned.
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Rangerjack

• Active
  • 1959 A10 Golden Flash
« Reply #8 on: 28.11. 2019 00:53 »
Thanks mikeb, the measurements were a great help, I've managed to source some dowty washers from a local hydraulic seals supplier and they seem to be doing the trick.  The dowty part numbers were Z-04 (BSP) and Q-14 respectively.  *good3*

my notes say:
between banjo and tank:
between banjo and nut:

Offline Rangerjack

• Active
  • 1959 A10 Golden Flash
« Reply #9 on: 28.11. 2019 01:00 »
 Thanks Richard, I'll take your advice and have a look next time I see oil leaking from the area.  Yeah, I had a feeling when re-installing the oil tank that the tank to frame attaching hardware were not as robust as I thought!!  Have ordered new parts...... *computer*
Draganfly also offer the foam (soft) rectangular packing that sandwiches between the outside of the frame rail, and the rear of the oil tank (above the oil tank securing bracket).

Suggest you get one, if there is not currently stuck to the outside of the frame rail.

Do not overtighten the toggle bolt which pulls the oil tank up against this packer.

Too much tension (and / or vibration) can cause the brackets welded to the back of the oil tank to crack the tank, and cause leaks which appear to be coming from the banjo nut immediately below.

Difficult to find, cause of persistent leaking. The tank may require removal from the bike to identify the leak; seal the inlet and outlet ports with BSP caps, re-fill with oil and suspend the tank. Eventually the source of the leak will show, and you will be able to see clearly where it is occurring.

Can be resolved with soft solder over the crack.

How do I know this......?

Richard

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 28.11. 2019 18:08 »
Hi All,
There should be a spacer sleeve fitted to the toggle bolt to prevent overtightening the mounting
I suppose those spacers were discarded if the rubber tubular piece or pad degraded

The top oil tank mounting and the spacers inside the frame section always seem to be abused to hell and back *eek*
John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline sean

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #11 on: 06.09. 2022 23:33 »
Had the same problem i had a fibre washer on either side of the banjo which leaked …. Tried a copper washer on the tank side and fibre on the outside still leaked , when I removed the copper washer it had several marks on the inside face .
Replaced it with a new copper washer with a light coat of loctite 518 on both sides of the washer so far no leaks  after a few rides .

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 07.09. 2022 04:02 »
I tend to use anealed aluminium washers. They are softer than copper and seal really well. I get them from Hydralic Pipe suppliers. You can re anneal them but need to use extreme caution so they don't end up as a glob on the floor.
NZ

Offline ellis

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 07.09. 2022 09:41 »
Hi Rangerjack

I always use Dowty washers on the banjo's and never had a leak.

ELLIS

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 07.09. 2022 21:11 »
Hi All,
You can re anneal them but need to use extreme caution so they don't end up as a glob on the floor.
To anneal alloy,
Paint the washer with a "sharpie" marker before heating, heat until the ink goes clear, job done
Another method is to rub soap on the alloy item and heat until the soap turns black

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)