Author Topic: Plunger Frame  (Read 1236 times)

Roadhog

Plunger Frame
« on: 28.11. 2019 10:08 »
Hi all. info required. Is there a difference between the front frame on a 1953 plunger and a 54 plunger frame?  I know the latter has rubber mounts for the tank and a side stand bracket. But did the frame dimensions alter to accommodate the new squarer head and barrels?  As I have a early motor and later front frame and I cant fit the carb as the cables hit the frame?

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Plunger Frame
« Reply #1 on: 28.11. 2019 10:25 »
Same part both years 67 4056.

The change to big fin did not change the position of the carb in relation to the frame.

Roadhog

« Reply #2 on: 28.11. 2019 11:06 »
Thanks JulianS, In that case I dont understand why my carb (276) is tight into frame and cables hit frame?  do you know if all 276 1-1/16 carbs have the same body? mine is 276ER/1DB with correct jets for year and model.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 28.11. 2019 12:02 »
It would be useful to see a photo of the problem, if you could post one?

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 28.11. 2019 12:06 »
 G'day Roady...What head/barrels you using? but I think they're all like that no matter....
     I've stuffed a '53 BA10 engine (23.12.52) into what I figure is about a '56 frame and B/F barrels with matching ally head and 389 monobloc, but had to truncate  *work* the top of the carb to fit but the go-cable was crap-close (don't need a choke anyway) and no way of fitting an air filter, so had to fabricate *work* a inlet tract to suit- can't find a pic at the moment though and also still have to post one to another thread....but maybe not your style

The bike is right beside me (pat-pat), but I need the tank off to do a decent piccie shoot..... *conf2*

The only other difference I've discovered is the later frames (like mine) have a flange/lug at the top of the head stock for a steering lock, but can't remember when that was added- I think discussion detemined about '54/5...otherwise as far as I know the front section is the same

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Simon59

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 28.11. 2019 12:46 »
Hi Roadhog. I attached my 276 carb last weekend and the cables are very close to the frame (1954 plunger, but a 1955 engine). So I think they're all like that... If anyone has a trick to improve the cable route between the carb and the frame, please let me (us) know!
Restored a 1954 plunger framed A10 Golden Flash - now finished!

Offline AdrianJ

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 28.11. 2019 14:30 »
HI Roadhog,
When my carb came back from refurbishment there were small screw adjusters in the cable holes.
If you've got these they stop the carb fitting. All you need to do is use a cable with a mid adjuster. Take the adjusters off the carb and drill the holes out to fit the cable ferrule 91/4" I think but can'y be sure).
It is still a tight fit but does work.
Adrian
'53 Plunger Flash and Steib S500, ‘66 LE Velocette, ‘53? Winged Wheel

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 28.11. 2019 15:01 »
Ditto for having no adjusters and ditto for it being a tight fit, but it works OK.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Roadhog

« Reply #8 on: 28.11. 2019 17:16 »
Thank you everyone, yes I still have the cable adjusters in the top of the carb, I will remove them tonight and see what its like and post a picture, Thanks This may do the trick. My cables do have mid adjusters anyway. I have original round cast iron barrels and head and 276 carb.

I also notice that the carb does not fit squarely in to the rubber filter hose, its somehow out of line, left to right , the height is fine. I got a new one from someone advertising that this was a A10 rubber and not A7 so was supposed to be correct. However does not fit very well. I am trying hard to make the bike totally original. Not an easy task.  I will post picture.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 28.11. 2019 19:01 »
So, you are aware that the hoses are different.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Offline morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #10 on: 28.11. 2019 19:12 »
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Roadhog

« Reply #11 on: 28.11. 2019 21:05 »
Hi all, you have been really helpful. I have now taken off the two carb cable adjusters and the cables do now fit, although not a massive amount of room but that looks the norm for Plungers? I still have this issue re the air filter rubber that seems to large for the carb inlet. am I supposed to have a small belmouth on the carb or nothing, just straight into rubber?

Roadhog

« Reply #12 on: 28.11. 2019 21:19 »
I have tried to attach pictures.

Offline Greybeard

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 28.11. 2019 21:56 »
The carb on my '55 Plungie has a short parallel adapter that the rubber goes over. The rubber has a coily spring in a groove that helps it grip. It's bit of a fiddle getting the stiff rubber past the edge of the carb, but goes over eventually. I'll look for some carb pictures now.
If you fit a heat insulation piece your carb will be closer to the rubber but I think you need that adapter.
Damn, there are not many pictures of this type of carb mouth adapter.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star

Warwickshire UK

Roadhog

« Reply #14 on: 28.11. 2019 23:37 »
Thanks yes I have a screw on smooth adaptor on the crab, but for some reason that rubber does not sit square on it.