Author Topic: reaar axle components  (Read 442 times)

Offline enfield49

• Moving Up
reaar axle components
« on: 14.08. 2023 15:06 »
Does anyone have the dimensions to fit a crinkle hub into a swinging arm frame ?. It is time I dusted off my lathe

Online CheeserBeezer

• Valued Contributor
    • Priory Magnetos Ltd
Re: reaar axle components
« Reply #1 on: 15.08. 2023 08:18 »
Not too sure exactly what you mean but the 54/55 frames had crinkle hubs as standard. The swinging arms are the same in terms of their dimensions but differ with regards to torque arm and chainguard mounts. Also, the slots where the wheel spindle fits are different. The other main issue is that the crinkle hub has a brake on the left whereas the later frames have the brake on the right and the crossover shaft for the brake which means the silentblocs are different. Quite a few people, including myself, have converted standard, later, frames to RGS type which necessitates making a brake pedal fitting on the left hand side of the frame., i.e. drilling a hole in the frame and sleeving it to take the pedal pivot. If you're asking, "Will a crinkle hub fit in a later swinging arm?" The answers is "Yes, but you'll have to make some sleeves for the wheel spindle". You will use all the standard components for the crinkle hub (spindle and sleeves etc.) plus a couple of top-hat sleeves to take up the play between the spindle and swinging arm in the spindle eye-holes. The size of the sleeves will be determined by which swinging arm you're using.

Offline enfield49

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 15.08. 2023 10:16 »
I am using the ear;y b31 swinging arm and the frame has the non crossover brake pedal though this component has been shortened. I have the crinkle hub brake drum sprocket etc what I lack is the dummy axle ,spindle ,spacers bearing retaining ring and  lots of other small parts any help would be appreciated. Graham

Offline enfield49

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 16.08. 2023 22:03 »
I found the dimensions of the parts on an old post on this forum . What I have yet to find is the thread form used for the ends of the shafts . can anyone help ?

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 17.08. 2023 13:16 »
 In the Literature Section is a Nut and Bolt Chart. This cross references threads to part numbers. Sod's Law is that you can bet the one you want is the only one missing, but hey-ho.

BSA used Cycle CEI/BSCy thread for the majority of fastenings. 20TPI CEI/60 degree thread of appropriate OD should do it. Standard  parts should be easy to source.

Swarfy.

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #5 on: 17.08. 2023 20:06 »
hello!!!   i did not go to the pub so 9/16ths 20 tpi is what it is , or you are whaaat you arrrr , as an irish man once said to me *beer* swarfy on the money again  *good3*