Author Topic: Plunger frame rear suspension and frame lugs ID? & for sale,Chopper - repair kit  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
Going thru parts, realized I dont need this for my other projects.  I *THINK* its for a 52-54 Plunger A7 - A10 but could fit singles or others?  It looks the same as a frame I have hear but anything is possible.

Any can confirm the ID on it?       Its Rusty & Crusty and fresh from long term slumber storage.  But I had kept in the event of a frame repair or a custom conversion.  Good for the retro custom show bike crowd. Notice it has been properly seasoned with that much sought after patina.  This came to me from a large parts collection so I have no idea its history.

I do have a box of shrouds tops and bottoms that **MIGHT or MIGHT NOT FIT** I will go thru and see if any can be used or close enough to modify and will include a set if I can. *Ill update on that soon.  Most came off Girling and other British bike shocks painted and chomed pieces

Not sure how to price it but compared to some on several sites parted out by butcher shops taking a wild guess.  $200 + Shipping

I will try and see if they will fit in USPS Priority flat rate boxes but be aware overseas shipping might be expensive. (* Possible to maybe use a freight forwarder if you dont mind a slow boat to China)

I will get up better pictures, also posting some known Golden Flash bikes for comparison.
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
Looks to be an early example....if contemporary, the spindle mounts are pre '53 or thereabouts, the grease nipples stick out to catch your leg. Later models, '53 onwards the grease nipples point rearwards, as in your lower picture.

Forging number on the frame member is the same for left and right sides, one on hand appears to be marked 67-4118 BSA, (yeah, or some boss eyed similar combination) through the paint and grime. Find this on the left hand side of the forging, looking from the rear, below the large hole for the footrest mount. Like yours, mine measures 12" between pinch bolt centres. My frame also has a brazed on side stand lug, so is a later variant, post '53 or thereabouts.

'49-'53 Plunger parts book for A7/A10 lists three variations for the frame rear section pre '51 (67-4070), pre 53 (67-4102), then onward, 67-4094

The plunger design was also introduced on other models, so in all probability the same basic forging appears on B and M Frames.

Swarfy

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
I see pictures like this and I feel so glad that my bike came to me complete, with only light rust and dirt. Do we have a 'Smug face' emoji?  *roll*
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

......f contemporary, the spindle mounts are pre '53 or thereabouts, the grease nipples stick out to catch your leg. Later models the grease nipples point rearwards, as in your lower picture....

Interesting-  *conf2* I have one of each- I researched it and came to the conclusion that they're all like that  *pull hair out*
Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
duTch, What I mean is the early mounts have nipples  simply screwed into the spindle carrier lug from the side.

Later type has a slightly different forging, with a nicely flared nipple mount, pointing to the rear, as on Sluggo's  lower pictures, which also shows a later frame with a side stand together with the boxed in rear numberplate mounting.
 Looking closely again at the rusty bits, he may have one of each, but hard to tell for sure. One certainly looks to be the early type. If the same age as the lug, this would put this part as earlier than  '53.

Unlikely that a bike was assembled from the factory with mis-matched parts, but after 60+years and several owners, who knows. To my mind they should match.

Swarfy.

Offline duTch

• Ricketty Rocketty Golden Flashback
  • Wise & Enlightened

duTch, What I mean is the early mounts have nipples  simply screwed into the spindle carrier lug from the side.

Later type has a slightly different forging, with a nicely flared nipple mount, pointing to the rear, as on Sluggo's  lower pictures, which also shows a later frame with a side stand together with the boxed in rear numberplate mounting.
 Looking closely again at the rusty bits, he may have one of each, but hard to tell for sure. One certainly looks to be the early type. If the same age as the lug, this would put this part as earlier than  '53.

Unlikely that a bike was assembled from the factory with mis-matched parts, but after 60+years and several owners, who knows. To my mind they should match.

Yep that's much what I meant- when I found my (what has turned out to be a circa~'56) frame in the wrecker it had a rear fender cut back to the vertical strut plus the tank, but only one plunger unit (can't remember which side but must be the correct one), and the centre stand, so I set about finding a matching unit but have only ever seen the mis-matched type.....much to my ADHDDOCD/anal retentive annoyance *rant*

Started building in about 1977/8 a on average '52 A10 -built from bits 'n pieces never resto intended -maybe 'personalised'
Have a '74 850T Moto Guzzi since '92-best thing I ever bought doesn't need a kickstart 'cos it bump starts sooooooooo(mostly) easy
Australia

Offline Sluggo

• Serial Hoarder, or Eccentric Collector depending on viewpoint
  • Resident Legend
I will post much improved pictures and close ups, as well as lay them against a plunger Preunit single frame I have and a 53 Pluny A10 I have.   It was late, cold and I was in storage looking for something else. I will update tonight.  Thanks for taking a look
Remember that any advice received on a free internet forum is generally worth about 1/2 of what you paid for it.
We overcharge every 3rd customer to pass the savings onto you.
You can have High Quality, Low price, and fast turnaround. Pick any 2, Never all 3 at the same time.

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day Sluggo.
Are the footpeg holes threaded or plain? That's the other difference early to late (thread in early pre 53).
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
"Not a lot of people know that"  including me!
Thanks, Musky.

Cheers,

Swarfy.

Additional..Your fires have made the news big time in the UK. Word is that it will take the best part of a month to put them out. Good luck fella, and to all those in danger.