Author Topic: Little trip into Loch Katrine  (Read 654 times)

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
Little trip into Loch Katrine
« on: 22.12. 2019 07:49 »
300km round trip over various terrain but around 50-60% of it on unsealed roads, one unscheduled stop when a puddle was a bit bigger than I thought and electric bits got a bit wet, 10-15 minutes to dry out and it was all go again
1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Little trip into Loch Katrine
« Reply #1 on: 22.12. 2019 08:08 »
Beautiful.  *yeah*
Next on my bucket list.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #2 on: 22.12. 2019 15:13 »
The one that supplies Glasgow's water? Possibly not...
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline a10 gf

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • West Coast, Norway & Alpes Maritimes, France
    • A10 GF
« Reply #3 on: 22.12. 2019 20:20 »
So nice. And love the 'really in use' looks of the bike.

Stand with
A10 GF '53 My A10 website
"Success only gets you a ticket to a much more difficult task"

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 22.12. 2019 21:07 »
300km round trip over various terrain but around 50-60% of it on unsealed roads, one unscheduled stop when a puddle was a bit bigger than I thought and electric bits got a bit wet, 10-15 minutes to dry out and it was all go again

That’s a very good effort that distance on gravel in one day, I guess most Brits Won’t experience gravel roads like ours much, but the A10 (like most old Brit bikes) is VERY good on gravel for a road bike, keeping its line and generally feeling safe at speed.

For others reading, there is a huge network of gravel roads in nz, basically where the low usage doesn’t warrant sealing the road with tarmac. So called dual purpose bikes are popular here as a result, but my brothers gs1150 does not feel as safe on gravel as my A10.

I’m a bit of a novice on gravel but I’m gradually getting to grips with the “just go faster” advice! 80kmph is my confidence limit tho. My bike gets the “dust covered” look like yours only a few times a year. There is gravel involved in March, for the 2020 BSA National Rally (NZ).

The few times I’ve ridden on gravel on a modern bike have not gone well, a triumph street triple I owned was like riding on marbles, I guess due to the wide rear tyre, and the last straw was when it slid sideways down (an admittedly steep) camber on a straight section, nearly dumping me in the ditch at the side, oddly my goldwing is ok, apart from uphill sections where the rear can spin easily, and i would not want the job of lifting it back up if I did tip off it!

Couple of random pics from trips involving significant gravel attached, one from Taranaki on my b31, on the way to Auckland and shortly before the primary sh*t itself, the other on “moderns” from Apiti beach (nth Island east coast, near pongoroa).

And yes nz is motorcycling heaven.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Kickaha

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 23.12. 2019 05:26 »
That’s a very good effort that distance on gravel in one day, I guess most Brits Won’t experience gravel roads like ours much, but the A10 (like most old Brit bikes) is VERY good on gravel for a road bike, keeping its line and generally feeling safe at speed.
Left at 8am and was home by 2pm with a couple of detours and a few stops

It's pretty average and steers like crap on gravel but the Avon Speedmaster Mk2 front tyre and 60 year old worn out and rooted front suspension probably has a bit to do with that

I have some other rims coming to put some more appropriate tyres on for this type of usage and with some suspension upgrades I intend to show up some of the Orange brigade

The one that supplies Glasgow's water? Possibly not...

That would be one hell of a pipeline

1956 BSA Gold Flash
New Zealand

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 24.12. 2019 13:12 »
I think the term "unsealed" is juuust a bit of an understatement, nevertheless, pretty jealous of the outing.

Richard L.