Author Topic: BBC News - Australia fires worsen as every state hits 40C  (Read 487 times)

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
BBC News - Australia fires worsen as every state hits 40C
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50938504

Offline RoyC

• Wise & Enlightened
Yer, saw it on the news, NOT LOOKING GOOD.
Looks as if it's going to keep going til it rains or there's nothing else to burn.
My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
Wouldn't rely too much on BBC for information. They've been pushing this climate change nonsense for ages, as have UK Met. Surprised they haven't said it's the hottest on record (it isn't) and due to hit 50* unless we 'tackle climate change immediately'. I get quite angry at these lies and the hidden agenda behind it.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lake Conjola NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
G'day fellas.
The area burned in NSW since 1st July is the size of Belgium, 30,000 sq Km (7.4million acres). We're in for another scorcher today. It will keep burning till we get decent rain that's no forecast till mid/late Feb.
Went for a short ride yesterday down the coast. Smoke that thick visibility was down to a couple hundred yards. Been like that here for over a month. To look on the bright side it hasn't been getting as hot as predicted as the sun can't get through the smoke.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS now A10CR,  '83 CB1100F, .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
That's a sad thing going on down there under.

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2017 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE on September 30, 2018. Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
"I get quite angry at these lies and the hidden agenda behind it."

And the other 98% of people who ACTUALLY KNOW get "quite angry" at blind deniers!

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
And the other 98% of people who ACTUALLY KNOW get "quite angry" at blind deniers
It's ok Jool the fire goes out when it reaches the edge of the flat earth.

See how easy it is to get a bit too flippant re  this in consideration of the situation for those involved, and now we here over here of a firefighters death - sad, keep safe guys and let's hope this resolves soon
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Online Bsareg

• Valued Contributor
The sad death of that firefighter was on our main news as well. Although we're half a planet away, the fires and the plight of our Aussie cousins is in our thoughts. Most of us have family there.
C11,B40,B44 Victor,A10,RGS,M21,Rocket3,REBSA

Offline Colsbeeza

• A's Best Friend
Yesterday the Firestorm flipped an 8-tonne loaded fire tanker over end to end, resulting in the death of a young firefighter. A second truck was also blown over, with two firefighters burned and in a Hospital Burns Unit.
The localised pyrocumulus cloud and resulting turbulence forces generated is difficult to believe.
There are 4000 people waiting on the beach at Mallacoota (Victoria0 today as the fires engulf the coast.
This is an event without precedence.
Colin
Colsbeeza
Australia

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
Jools - may I respectfully suggest you study the science and facts before apparently supporting those happy to be programmed with propaganda. Only .3% of scientists agree with AGW. Those pushing the climate change 'crisis' are denying science.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Caretaker

• Making things work !
  • Administrator
  • Valued Contributor
  • N & F
    • BSA A10
Scary stuff in Australia, cannot even imagine what the affected people are going through. Indeed sad things happening around the world, next will probably be sea levels 'attacks' around the world. Followed by large population movements and disturbances. Let's try to make the best out of it, and prepare\help as well as possible.

About the forum, members discussing things are welcome (outside of the tech boards!), just be sure to grasp the difference \ consequence between *I do not subscribe to that opinion* and *you are a half-baked blockhead*. Thanks.
"Sometimes I say things that are so highly intelligent that I do not understand a word of it"

Offline Joolstacho

• Valued Contributor
Hahahahah! heheheeeeheeeh, Hahahahaha!

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
Back on Track..  My son-in-law's step mother lost their house, sheds, orchard, & everything in the Sarsfield fires North of Bairnsdale yesterday... they were interviewed on Channel 7 news ... https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires/victoria-grapples-with-bushfire-cost-c-628147  (at the 2:55 mark ) fortunately they evacuated & are still alive...
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Back on Track..  My son-in-law's step mother lost their house, sheds, orchard, & everything in the Sarsfield fires North of Bairnsdale yesterday... they were interviewed on Channel 7 news ... https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires/victoria-grapples-with-bushfire-cost-c-628147  (at the 2:55 mark ) fortunately they evacuated & are still alive...

Sorry to hear that Wozza.

The Victorians have a double dose .
Not only do they have the same bureaucracy as we have in NSW  who honestly believe that the "right chain of command & technology"  is all that is needed, they also have the green mafia that have created the perfect environment for catastrophic uncontrollable fires and then they go on to blame global warming for the disaster they have created, from the comfort of their aircoditioned appartments.
It is a shame that the passionate are usually so ill informed.

Up here we have the same idiot top down bureaucracy who think they can micro manage the fires right down to the last drop of water but at least the green mafia have not exercised the same sort of influence over government policy to the extent that they have in Victoria .
However we both have the accountants who penny pinch on hazard reduction because the bulk of their stinginess is borne by individuals and not government so they can still get their bonuses for underspending every year.
One of the people near Musky's place who was burned out mentioned that there had been no hazard reduction burns in the forest adjoining his property since the 1994 bushfires.
Up here same story no burns since the 2001 bushfires which wiped out 1/2 of Warragamba and went on to burn down hundreds of other buildings on its path to the coast.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
And note how political agendas sneak in.
The BBC news makes a big thing about the air temp being over 40 dec C as if that makes a tinkers curse of difference to a fire that is burning at 2000 C or higher with fire fronts pumping out heat measured in multiples of megga watts.
To a fire +/- 10 C makes absolutely no difference but to continue with headlines like that puts the idea into peoples heads that 40 C is a cause of fires where as pyrolysis takes place at much higher temperatures and we all know just how hard it is to get modern fuels to burn.

All that 40 C does is make it extreamly uncomfortable for those resting from fighting the fire to recover and if there is a lot of new growth, it can dry it out and thus make it more volatile but it will not start a fire or even make a big fire worse.
Bike Beesa
Trevor