Author Topic: RGS Cracked front Guard /Fender & centre stays  (Read 769 times)

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
G'Day All,

I'm having an issue with the centre front fender stays and fender itself stress cracking.  Its happened twice  in 1000 miles so I need to know the correct fix.  The parts came from Burton bike bits as I was avoiding the subcontinent. Thinking was do it right do it once!  Hahaha.

Would be interested to hear from any who have had a similar problem and how they overcame it.  I'm a rider so sitting it in the loungeroom isn't the answer.  *smiley4*

Regards,
Al
Australia
"The older I get the better I was"

Offline BSA_54A10

• Wise & Enlightened
    • BSA National
Re: RGS Cracked front Guard /Fender & centre stays
« Reply #1 on: 14.01. 2020 07:44 »
Get some from Mike Riley.
From memory he gets his made locally so they are not only an exact fit but do not fall apart.
Burtons are supplying standard "fits all " A10 parts.
Bike Beesa
Trevor

beezermacc

« Reply #2 on: 14.01. 2020 07:46 »
Yes, I've had that problem. The reason they break is because the fit isn't perfect. Any stresses develop into cracks then bits start falling off! I use 'Autocycle' in Dudley for parts which seem to be best fit but I suspect BBB get them from the same place. All you can do is make sure everything fits perfectly before tightening the bolts up so any bending is done before fitting. You may need to slip in an extra washer here and there. You can take some of the stress out of the mudguard by using rubber washers and nylok nuts.

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #3 on: 14.01. 2020 08:08 »
Yes I was aware of the stress from parts fitted under tension etc and though I had it sussed. Fitted the parts with fibre washers but I think I should head down the path suggested by beezermac and use a softer washer and nylocs.  I do get a few high frequency vibes as i love riding at quite a pace  *smile*
Australia

Offline Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 14.01. 2020 09:58 »
I don't know if this is relevant to your setup. When I stripped my front guard I found the remains of rubber between the U bracket and the guard. When I reassembled I used some large hard rubber washers, that I had in the garage, between the guard and the bracket. I used Nylock nuts so I could nip the rubber but not distort metal.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 14.01. 2020 13:34 »
The reason they break is because the fit isn't perfect. Any stresses develop into cracks.....You can take some of the stress out of the mudguard by using rubber washers and nylok nuts.

First, the following is just a hypothesis that does not contradict prevoious comments. So, in short, I could just say, "Like Andrew said." For my own amusement, the hypothesis:

Looking at this from the resonance angle, what Andrew says makes perfect sense (of course). Resonance and other vibrations have their work already started in materials under stress. In addition to relieving the stress, rubber washers damp the vibration (obvious, maaybe). I went looking at OldVet's previous posts to learn he has an RGS mudguard on a '62 Super Rocket. Not an RGS expert (or any, maybe), reviewed the mudguard design for what I think can be unexpected sources of resonance. I see that the long, and somewhat spindly, front and rear stays are nearly identical in shape and symetrical in front/rear deployment. This symmetry can, I believe, contribute to resonance. In this case, the reonance would  focus on the center-stay connection point. What to do about this? To start, back to "Like Andrew said." Otherwise, perhaps some modificaton or strengthening of either the front or rear stay would help. Problem is, hard to run a test, because the relief of stress at the center stay must come first and that confuses test results.

Thanks for letting me exercise my inner acoustician.

Richard L.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 14.01. 2020 20:43 »
I had the same problem. I made replacements from steel hydraulic tube but they broke as well.
The ones on the bike now are made from stainless steel hydraulic tube.
The bike is laid up now but the stainless stays outlasted the steel ones.
I expected them to break as they work hardened but they didn't.
I have some steel ones made by a local bloke and are undrilled and unplated. May never need them but just in case----

Offline oldvet

• Moving Up
    • Ace Classics Australia
« Reply #7 on: 15.01. 2020 03:23 »
Thanks for your comments, as I suspected this is not uncommon. I'm sure the extra robust centre stay on the A50/65 was the factory remedy for the discussion we have been having.  Anyway here I've attached a couple of pics of my '62 Super Rocket.
Australia

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 15.01. 2020 03:56 »
That's super-sweet oldvet. Beautiful mate.

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 15.01. 2020 04:28 »
Gorgeous!

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 15.01. 2020 04:44 »
"because the relief of stress at the center"

Oooh I love it when you talk dirty Richard!

Offline Black Sheep

• Wise & Enlightened
    • Where black sheep live
« Reply #11 on: 15.01. 2020 06:47 »
Never had this problem on the hard used flash. Must be something about the super smooth, sexy flash mudguards. Oh so practical in this soggy climate here.
2 twins, 2 singles, lots of sheep

Offline a101960

• Wise & Enlightened
  • BSA RGS BSA C12
« Reply #12 on: 15.01. 2020 10:39 »
This problem was well known to BSA. Their solution was a modified stay made from flat strip and and this part is listed by George Prew. I can't find my George Prew parts list so I cannot tell you what the part number is. anyway that was BSAs answer to the problem.

Online JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 15.01. 2020 10:48 »
Interesting to follow the short stay part numbers through the BSA master catalogue from 1970 and a parts bulletin.

The RGS short stay, from parts bulletin G21 is 42 6547, tubular steel.

The master catalogue says "use 42 6564" (which is the tubular stay used on the 1964/65 A65 Lightning Rocket)

Look up 42 6564 and it says  "use 68 6542" (a rolled edge stay whatever that means)

Look up 68 6542 and it says "use 68 6548" ( left hand  and 68 6549 right hand whcih are strip stays with one edge raised according to parts bulletin G35 of January 1966)

So if you ordered a new stay for your RGS in 1966 or later and you would have got the later more robust stay so perhaps the original item was just not up to the job?

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #14 on: 02.02. 2020 02:32 »
Gee, they look good when they are done right, don't they - really nice looking bike...  *smile* *clap*