Author Topic: Electronic conversion  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Tomcat

• Valued Contributor
Re: Electronic conversion
« Reply #30 on: 31.01. 2020 02:50 »
Don't forget that an electronic ignition needs a good power supply, so a good generator (or alternator) and regulator are a necessity.
59 Super Rocket 

beezermacc

« Reply #31 on: 31.01. 2020 09:56 »
Hi All,
Skip to the last minute of this you tube videoand see what a magneto can do *eek*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95vU9hWWO1U

Try that with your EI

John

Fascinating video.

I find it interesting that anybody should compare a magneto with electronic ignition. Those of us who still use magnetos are using kit which is 60 years old or more whereas electronic ignition on motorcycles has been around for about 35 years. So, if you've just bought new electronic ignition,  it's a bit like putting a cathode ray tube TV in a boxing ring with a flatscreen smart TV, or a vinyl record which has been played 1000 times versus a rap song downloaded from Youtube. There is something wholesome about a magneto when you hold it in your hand - it feels right, it looks right. The reason I like riding old bikes is because I'm riding around on something which is 60 years old and I've fixed or fettled every part of it. OK, there are some parts which have to be replaced if they're worn out but mechanical things like valves and pistons can be replaced like-for-like without affecting the 'oldness' of the bike. Occasionally we build specials like my Rotax-Goldie just for the hell of it; so much has been changed on that bike I wouldn't dare describe it as a classic bike any more. So where do you draw the line? Can a bike that has had one of its most significant age-related idiosyncracies removed still be called a classic?  In the end it's your bike so you do what you want with it, no criticism from me. My definition of a classic bike is something that retains its major significant components. Your definition may be different so we can agree to disagree on that. Six of our club rode to the MotoGP in Assen last year, five A10's all with magnetos. We took two essential spare parts with us, the first was a magneto, the second was another magneto! But we never used either of them!
I give a two-year guarantee on magneto rebuilds and I always have a month's worth of work on the bench. I'm not touting for business - I honestly don't mind if I never see another magneto on my bench - I'd then have time to play with my own toys! My customers acknowledge that we are dealing with old stuff and, occasionally when something goes wrong, I find my customers happy that I'll have another go and sort it out for them f.o.c. In the end you take your choice; there are reasons why people like to stick with magnetos and there are reasons why some people fit electrickery ignition. You make your choice and live with it. I sell electronic ignition kits by the way! I know, call me Judas!

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #32 on: 31.01. 2020 11:01 »
I like mags I even paid a lot of money to put one with manual advance/ retard on betsy the beezer in place of the competition mag I got rewound and built up myself which  I am saving for the go slow building a berger project , I did test it out on betsy before swapping them *good3*