Author Topic: Capturing a misspent youth with TLS  (Read 1042 times)

Offline imustbemad47

• Active
Re: Capturing a misspent youth with TLS
« Reply #15 on: 12.02. 2020 16:08 »
thanks swarfly. So far so good. Mudguards, wheel and brake plate carefully removed and time for a pause for absorption! Forgive my ignorance but do I have to take the forks off to remove the oil seal holder?

Offline Billybream

• Resident Legend
« Reply #16 on: 12.02. 2020 16:33 »
Yes full fork removal required, you need to remove top nuts which also allow filling of oil.
Pinch bolts to fork yokes need to be slackened, you may have tap the stanctions to release them from there taper within the yokes, best to screw back in the top nuts a few threads and give them a tap with soft hammer. The seals are held in by a circular clip, with shims on top of the slider bush.
Reaasembly is a challenge, the clip can stress you out.
1960 Super Rocket, owned since 1966, back on the road 2012 after being laid up for 29yrs.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 12.02. 2020 17:18 »
 To add to Billy's excellent summary, here are a couple of hints.

With the lower yoke pinch bolt removed, force the gap open with a wedge....usual tool is a flat blade screwdriver hammered in. Undo the top nut a few turns,  1-2 mm above the top yoke will be fine, then shield the chrome finish with something solid. Now support the top yoke with your third hand and smack down with the mallet onto your nut shield. This should free the top of the stanchion from the top yoke. Remove the top nut, the fork leg complete with spring will then pass down through the bottom yoke.

The oilseal holder then simply unscrews, (in the best Haynes tradition it can be a right pain) using your new tool, leaving the top bush exposed, retained by the pesky wire circlip. With this little devil removed, the fork leg, oilseal holder and bushes  then  draw out of the fork slider. You may find some shims under the circlip to take up any gap between circlip and bush.

Replace the leg, less slider and spring, back into the yokes, and tighten the lower pinchbolt. This will keep the leg still to enable the lower bush nut to be undone. Slide off the bushes, the circlip and the oilseal in its holder. With the leg then removed, check it's straight by rolling on a flat surface.

Reach for a well deserved beer.

That's the easy part. The second leg will be even easier.

Have a look in the frame and forks section of the Forum as there is a lot of experience noted regarding circlips, shims and the later collapsible spacers, which overcome the problems associated with the circlip and shim design.

Apologies for unintended humour, but laugh now 'cos putting it all back together can be a struggle. Beg or borrow a broom handle, all will be revealed in the next instalment. Billy's last words ring true.

Swarfy

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #18 on: 12.02. 2020 20:12 »
i must be super strong, when I put my fork legs back in I manage to push them up into the bottom yoke then ram them up into the taper enough to get the top nuts started, I even managed this when it had side car springs *work* I also use a strap to undo seal holders and hand tighten them.

Online Joolstacho

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 12.02. 2020 21:00 »
"Can the 8" BSA FW hub be swapped for the Triumph 8" FW hub?"
Yes.

Online trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: 12.02. 2020 21:03 »
Yes Jools but you have to use the BSA axle.

Offline imustbemad47

• Active
« Reply #21 on: 12.02. 2020 21:43 »
I gambled that the hubs were interchangeable and acquired a triumph 8" FWH in very good condition with no signs of scoring . A matching pair of sliders will really make the project a goer. Last set of forks i rebuilt were for a 52 TRW found under an olive tree in Northern Cyprus. That was quite a straight forward job but sods law dictates that replacing the oil sealholders on these might involve an awful lot of self control and maybe just a few beers. I don't anticipate a great deal of reconditioning as they were rebuilt by SRM in  91 ( when they were in Penarth.)and haven't had a lot of miles siince then.Steve Macfarland (one of the original SRM partners) is still around and actually rebuilt my TRW engine. i might just give him a ring. Richards Bros in Cardiff rebuilt the wheels for the TRW and i will call them too. Coming together nicely. Knocking off the problems one by one. Thanks to you all for your practical support and encouragement. It really is appreciated.

Offline imustbemad47

• Active
« Reply #22 on: 22.02. 2020 19:38 »
Progress on fitting TLS and further.
i have a 8" FWH and a pair of fork sliders with the lug in the right place to slot fully into the TLS plate so what can possibly go wrong! The cable length.
Will get the seals and holders replaced and have asked Steve Mcfarlane (of SRM fame and electric starter kits fame) based here in Cardiff to assemble them and ....... Electric starter?
There's a thought now.
I do like his engineering.skills and his own design electric starter is a superb and elegent solution to "old legs" problem which isn't going away. Unles.....

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 22.02. 2020 20:24 »
I have to say this thread amazes me. Why on earth change an 8" single-sided brake (probably BSA's best stopper) with a FWH whose stopping power is marginal at best? I converted an 8" single sider to TLS and, apart from massive twin discs on my japanese modern, is the best brake I've known. Easily bottoms the front forks.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.