Author Topic: my fault i think (nock from the engine, crank end float)  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
Re: my fault i think (nock from the engine, crank end float)
« Reply #15 on: 15.02. 2020 17:17 »
called at my mams got a email a parcel for me ,that would be my mag puller .removed the mag and inner timing cover found oil pump worm drive nut not tight removed sump cover that made me very happy no shrapnel to be found. cylinder barrel will not budge stud at the back off the barrel as tight as I dare all nuts removed checked twice family back will give it another go tomorrow its only a bit of paper holding it

56 GF plunger, 63 SR

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
« Reply #16 on: 16.02. 2020 20:26 »
was able to sneak out for round two to get the barrels of but my attention was on the end of the crank were the worm drive is .my plunger is different I am shore there is a key stopping the worm spinning looked all over I am 100% no key on the sr crank .just guessing I may have lost oil pressure will find out when I get the crank out .grand kids stopped play granddaughter's ripping themselves to bits my lads were never like them.wife says its hormone time

56 GF plunger, 63 SR

Offline trevinoz

• Newcastle, N.S.W. Australia.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: 16.02. 2020 20:36 »
The key is only ther for the pinion.
The worm is threaded and lock nutted and has a tab washer.

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
« Reply #18 on: 17.02. 2020 01:16 »
Thanks for the info the locknut was loose one of the washers had started to brake up .sneeked into the garage none of my pullers were small enough to get behind the gear on the crank on the timing side.it says in the book I do not need to tutch the cam.and I have always seen lots of barrels for sale with broken fins I know why now

56 GF plunger, 63 SR

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #19 on: 17.02. 2020 06:14 »
Hi,
For stubborn barrels,  but some wooden blocks on top of the piston and bolt a strong strap across a couple of the head stud holes, big spanner or such on the crank and the cylinder will lift

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
« Reply #20 on: 17.02. 2020 20:18 »
that's a top idea as soon as I short the garage out acquired an other bike stashed in the van will smuggle it in when she is out mix it in with the rest she will be no wiser

56 GF plunger, 63 SR

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
« Reply #21 on: 18.02. 2020 12:34 »
QUESTION you will be sick of me soon as I was a mining mechanical fitter now retired through disability ironically motorcycle accident ,I used to do a lot of development work on mining plant so asked lots of questions to manufacturers.getting to the point now my cylinder head the id no is 67-1571 all the info I can find its a 67-1549 modified those in the know can you explain what bsa did and do I need to be specific when sourcing parts

56 GF plunger, 63 SR

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: 18.02. 2020 13:09 »
Hi
The 1571 head may have the 1.5in diameter inlet valves known as the "big valve"
And or the inlet port opened out to 1 3/16in.
Lots of faked ones out there to try and attract RGS prices *eek*

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: 18.02. 2020 16:35 »
“ Hammer and punch have ruined many a cush drive nut. Oh, the innocence and naivety of youth.”
I know this mainshaft nut issue has been discussed to death, but I have to disagree with Swarfy here. I’ve been using a hammer and drift on these nuts for over 50yrs and have no intention of changing. Why? Because it’s really the only way to ensure that nut is tight.
The idea of torqueing it seems attractive, but how do you lock the engine? If you restrain it by the sprocket, your torque reading is instantly meaningless, as the cush-drive is now fighting against you. And is 65 ft/lbs enough anyway? That’s a figure normally associated with a 7/16” nut / bolt. The mainshaft is around 7/8” if I recall (not in my workshop at present to measure) and that would accommodate more like 200ft/lbs. Granted over time the nut doesn’t look as pretty as it was when new when using the impact method, but at least you know it won’t come undone.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
« Reply #24 on: 18.02. 2020 18:40 »
barrel now off top tip I believe if you do not know ask, I an grateful for all the info.i have heard about the big valve sr did not know it was one.the guy I got the bike of been in his possession for over 30 years,lives local and seen all the time in summer till he had his stroke.when I found out he was selling up I seen his wife and she let me buy the bsa .he had a Vincent comet that was out of my price range and a bmw k100 2000 on the clock adsolutely mint but a big ugly thing that he could not sell .part of the front lower barrel missing looks like old battle damage but now the cam is in full view pitted and worn but now I cannot feel the end float I can see the bank balance taking a hit. all well you cannot ride your bank balance on a nice summer day

56 GF plunger, 63 SR

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: 18.02. 2020 19:26 »
RD.    We may differ in our approach, but we are agreed that the tightness of the cush drive nut is important and something that was often  overlooked in earlier times. The torque figure quoted seems fairly consistent and how it is achieved is a matter of  personal taste, available tools and how pedantic we want to be. These days I go for a more gentle approach, but in earlier times resorted to the metal bar and big hammer. GB's rattle gun and a good fitting socket is a good way to go.

This thread is taking on a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde character.  I can't tell whether this was a well running bike or a machine purchased with problems. Broken fins on the barrel? Broken cylinder spigots? I would think missing bits of cylinder wall are the reason for a knock, maybe I was looking the other way and missed something. Worn cam and knackered followers, looks to be getting expensive.

Swarfy.

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
« Reply #26 on: 18.02. 2020 20:05 »
I do not know what you are reading but its not my post had the bike for 3 years now ran very well just under 1000 miles no problem were did I say it had broken fins yes there is part of the spigot missing were did I say the cylinder wall was damaged I said the cam is worn were did I say the followers were knackered .none of the issues I have found is my problem I will find that when I split the casings

56 GF plunger, 63 SR

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: 18.02. 2020 21:53 »
  MT.   Well you did mention yesterday you had seen barrels with broken fins for sale, and I thought you meant you had broken a fin on your barrel trying to get it off. With the barrel now off,  you can see that the spigot is the bottom part of the bore below the mounting flange and is swept by the piston skirt. I'd say that was a damaged bore.

If the camshaft is worn, there is a good chance, more a certainty, that the followers are also screwed.

Good luck searching for the answer. You have my sympathy trying to get to the bottom of the problem. It looks as if you will need a lot of help.

Cheers.

Swarfy.

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: 18.02. 2020 22:37 »
Hi
A search of old topics on engine problems /knocks / worn cams /followers should answer quite a lot of questions
Cam and follower wear are usually the result of low oil pressure, probably due to a worn main bush.

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Mtrower

• Moving Up
« Reply #29 on: 19.02. 2020 00:10 »
The bike ran very well when I went out about 12 miles run to the bike night it as always  been very quiet  when warm. I do not plod along but I do not  hang  about. The bike was stood  for about  2 hours started  the bike all fine left to run for about 3 minutes as I pulled  away from  the pub the noise  started  just sounded  like a tappit  adjuster was loose as I road I could  play tunes  with it.at the side of the road ticking over no noise  checked  the tank plenty  of the black stuff  coming  back got it back home ,started  it the next day still the same,the bike was fully  restored  20 years ago lots of paperwork  the guy  ho built the engine  had a good  reputation but 20 years ago  they weren't  as valuable as now.the guy I got it off is not around  now so I can't  ask  him .the part  of the barrel that is missing  is were  the front cut  out is not a large amount  pistons still  look new but are very glazed  magnet  on the drain  plug  clean,when the engine was in the frame I could  move  the crank side to side easily  now on the bench  no movement  at all

56 GF plunger, 63 SR