Author Topic: Wire route for rear light  (Read 578 times)

Online roys51a10

• Active
Wire route for rear light
« on: 09.02. 2020 22:06 »
Starting to reassemble Golden flash changed back to a solo seat. Where does the rear light loom go? I thought it went under the fender but theres no hole for it to go to the light.Everything else so far i've managed to search for on this great font of knowledge.Thanks.
Dads 1951 A10

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
Re: Wire route for rear light
« Reply #1 on: 10.02. 2020 00:00 »
Hi Roy

It certainly routes underneath the mudguard on mine - the hole is about halfway down the length of the battery box. Mind you I did have a B31 in the past where a PO had blocked up this hole with filler - it may be worth doing a tap test with a screwdriver to hear if any part of the guard sounds non-metal.

Cheers

Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Offline WozzA

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Melbourne Australia
« Reply #2 on: 11.02. 2020 01:54 »
I guess it depends on which model tail light holder you have?
My '51 plunger has a dimple in the top for the wire to run on top of the guard,
I didn't like that look so I just drilled a hole in the guard & made up a couple of brackets under to run the wires..  *work*
'51 Golden Flash Plunger
'57 Golden Flash Swingarm

Melbourne
The biggest lie I tell myself is
"I don't need to write that down, I'll remember it"

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 11.02. 2020 09:25 »
That's the best way to do it. Anything but the awful "wires taped to the mudguard stays" method as seen on rigids and plunger bikes. *sad2*

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 11.02. 2020 11:29 »
 '53 Flash and later with the boxed in rear number plate  mount have a mudguard profile with a centre raised rib. As mentioned, the wire runs into the underside of the guard adjacent to the regulator mount, then to the rear light supported in the raised rib by the usually rust prone cross tags.

The front edge of the number plate mounting is relieved slightly to accommodate the rib...  the dimple mentioned by Wozza on the open type mount is more likely the equivalent for an earlier ribbed guard, rather than a hole to pass the wire from top of guard to lamp.

This  layout effectively hides the wiring, but exposes it to the hazards of the detritus found under mudguards.

Swarfy.

Online roys51a10

• Active
« Reply #5 on: 12.02. 2020 22:23 »
Thanks for that.The only pics were of taped to stay I'll see if it will run on the inner edge of the mudguard and drill hole under number plate mount top.
Dads 1951 A10