Author Topic: Pipe from inlet manifold  (Read 492 times)

Offline roys51a10

• Active
Pipe from inlet manifold
« on: 08.03. 2020 23:05 »
Hi On the inlet manifold there's a pipe off not sure where it went. Haven't found any pics of it on anything else.Any ideas what it is for?
Dads 1951 A10

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
Re: Pipe from inlet manifold
« Reply #1 on: 09.03. 2020 00:45 »
My guess is they have routed the timed engine breather into it so the breather is running into a vacuum. Its not uncommon to route breathers into the carbs, but its typically done into the airbox not directly into one inlet port as this appears to be. On twin carb bikes with separate ports a balance tube is quite common but that wont be the case on a shared manifold with one carb
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
« Reply #2 on: 09.03. 2020 19:20 »
G'da Roy.
Very interesting. Where does the end of the tube go?
Is that a tap under the oil tank?
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.03. 2020 17:42 »
   I have never seen anything similar..... It's a homebrew mod.  Easier to drill and tap a Tufnol Spacer rather than the cast manifold, or just feed the breather into the airbox, on the engine side of the filter.

Other possible use for a strong vacco connection used to be an automatic chain oiler, but maybe unnecessary in this case, there is plenty of oil around the chain " au naturelle" with the breather outlet pipe to the sump plate removed (early engines), short stub pipe later plunger, no pipe on S/A. Interesting to see if the vacco can connect to the breather outlet.

Drain tap on tank is convenient, if that's what it is, but was a bit of a risk as regards unintentional operation.....messy, expensive and a  long push home.

Swarfy.

Offline roys51a10

• Active
« Reply #4 on: 10.03. 2020 21:46 »
Well i found the pipe that was on it.And it its just blanked off.My mother (Roy's wife) seems to think it had an air horn fitted! Googling vacuum air horn they did exist.There is 2 holes drilled in the carb 'ski slope' where it could have been fitted. I'm just going to screw a blanking plug into the manifold. Yes that is a tap on the bottom, possibly going to leave it there.
Dads 1951 A10