Author Topic: 1955 A7SS racer ...possibly  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
1955 A7SS racer ...possibly
« on: 09.03. 2020 01:45 »
I was recently pondering restarting my (social grade) race career with Bender my 1955 road rocket sidecar now it has finally come out of a storage unit having last run two years ago in May. Well it struck me I should build (or buy) a solo classic racer and after looking online at numerous things that didnt float my boat realised an A7ss racer might be just the ticket!
As luck would have it a tatty 1955 twin frame came up and I bought it. I have engine plates/triple clamps/hubs/gearboxes to build in (as I find them), so will start by getting the frame repaired (appears to have been repaired with liquid nails  *help* ), hopefully the bottom rails are dented rather than rotten, but we'll see. Then I'll start dummying bits together while I sort Bender in time for the HAGD on 30th May at Taupo. I have a lead on an ex race A7 engine but that's a deal not yet done. I think I have an oil tank. Will need to see what I can turn up.
Attached is a picture of the prospective project...I still have my 54 road rocket to rebuild too! 
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: 1955 A7SS racer ...possibly
« Reply #1 on: 09.03. 2020 19:37 »
G'day RR.
You'll luv it mate. Bikes are supposed to lean into corners. LOL
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline mikeb

• Resident Legend
« Reply #2 on: 10.03. 2020 04:50 »
just in time Tim. with that plan of yours to sell some motorcycles, i thought you needed another project  ;)
New Zealand
'61 Super Rocket  - '47 B33 -  '21 Triumph Speed Triple RS

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 10.03. 2020 05:18 »
just in time Tim. with that plan of yours to sell some motorcycles, i thought you needed another project  ;)
Mike
you know me too well, my new garage and loft has yet to have a workspace organised and all the bikes bar the odd black v twin from stevenage have been sitting in storage so are all in need of minor recommissioning once I can find tools and clear space...
I'm trying to clear a garage corner so I can tear the top off bender, will shift a further 3 bikes up into the loft to allow me to temporarily work in the garage. have moved one up there already. I think I've got most of the main bits to build up another bike around this frame but engine wise only have 650 spares while will want to run in 500 class.

Am thinking it may be worth running an a50 crank and sleeving to a50 pistons so I can run large journal.
Look forward to hearing about the BSA annual rally, which I didnt have a BSA available for  *problem*
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 09.06. 2020 03:37 »
seem to be having difficulties uploading files at present but have a nice set of wheels built. QD rear and half sided knock out holes front, both on 19" alloys  *smile*
thinking about an Avon GP rear and a SM mk2 on the front both in A25 compound  *conf2*
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 24.07. 2020 04:31 »
have a set of '60 a7ss cases and a daggy head with exhaust stubs added... needs work
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #6 on: 24.07. 2020 11:02 »
G'day RR.
Fair bit of porting there. I ran a pair of 32's on mine.
Bugga, I HAD two of them on the shelf  *sad*
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 31.07. 2020 04:42 »
To get more traction with the 50's machines have sold the rocket three and the lightning, which has cleared a bit of space and will assist funding the A7ss. Have lined up an a65 10 under crank, but still need a useful barrel. So still some big dots to join before I can start mocking up what I have of a bike.
New Zealand

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #8 on: 31.07. 2020 09:45 »
wow must have given that some thought selling rocket 3, although I sold my trident 32 years ago tripped on acid *countdown* I wish I still had it now *bash*

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 02.08. 2020 22:55 »
wow must have given that some thought selling rocket 3, although I sold my trident 32 years ago tripped on acid *countdown* I wish I still had it now *bash*
Cant complain, there's a black shadow in my garage and with my 55 race road rocket and the 54 road rocket (sitting right next to me in my office) am pretty blessed by the motorcycle gods. *respect*

Have some goodies lined up, hopefully this wont jinx them including: a fibreglass race tank, CR box, a 10 under a65 crank, loan of an a50 flat tracker crank (to modify the a65 crank to similar spec) and a barrel ... eta next wednesday night all going to plan. This should give me all the big bits and a plan.

Did finally track down an intermittent fault on my B33, the horn wasnt tight and could earth when the bike hit a bump and pop the fuse. very pleased to have found that. took me a while and  fair few popped fuses while I searched for the cause.   *doh*
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 26.08. 2020 23:31 »
lockdown making things slow, but hoping to get my frame back next week (repairs) and have also just got a set of tapered rollers for the headstock and this bit of bling turned up
 *smile*
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #11 on: 27.08. 2020 03:58 »
G'day RR.
Does that TD top triple require shorter stanchions to keep the same geometry?
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 27.08. 2020 04:10 »
G'day RR.
Does that TD top triple require shorter stanchions to keep the same geometry?
Cheers
Must do some reading on this. I recall the TD kits have longer fork bushes than original and the damper rod lengths differ from the lengths used by original triple clamps. the stanchion clamp rather than being parallel is an 1 1/4" lower. Let me think about this at rest the bushes meet, so if they are 1 1/4" longer then they would be the same?.. but then the spring preload would still be different... stiffer so might need to adjust my pie and beer consumption to tune the forks  ;)
It does look good on the bench next to me, mind you so does the road rockets reco'd head fresh from the shop.
Looking forward to assembling the RR head and next week mocking up some of these A7 bits. We go back to level 2 covid restrictions from Monday so might be able to collect some other bits I have lined up including a fuel tank, a better barrel & a CR box
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 27.08. 2020 04:18 »
am still on fence whether to build it as a clubmans class bike or for open modified.  the latter requires more "investment" to go faster.
currently erring towards clubmans where I'd have to use a stock 4 speed and SL front brake. I'm thinking initially clubmans class to see how competitive we are.
New Zealand

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
« Reply #14 on: 27.08. 2020 04:33 »
Yes it's the old saying "how fast do you want to spend"
Cheers
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7