Author Topic: 1955 A7SS racer ...possibly  (Read 3196 times)

Online muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: 1955 A7SS racer ...possibly
« Reply #30 on: 18.01. 2021 20:04 »
G'day RR.
Looks like they are for rear sets. The weld on lugs have a hex hole.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #31 on: 18.01. 2021 21:51 »
Hi RR, here are some rear sets I have for my Goldy when I eventually get to it.
The plates and tube is what I made for my LSR A10.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: 19.01. 2021 00:07 »
Hi RR
I think those solid footrests are C 10/11/12, they use a 7/16 hexagon fitting, can you see a part number on them
Would you believe there are several variants and some are well sought after

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
  • A kiwi with a racing A10 rig and too many projects
    • NZ Classic Sidecar Racing
« Reply #33 on: 19.01. 2021 00:52 »
Hi RR
I think those solid footrests are C 10/11/12, they use a 7/16 hexagon fitting, can you see a part number on them
Would you believe there are several variants and some are well sought after

John
I think your right, they look just like the ones on the C12 (a project I'll probably never get to) in the corner. They should do as a starting point
Thanks guys
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Online Beeza

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #34 on: 26.01. 2021 08:20 »
Tim, I think those pegs will present a problem, the off set is much greater than what the Goldys run with, also the length from mount hole to peg is much greater as well. Also them pegs have only 6 radial positions to choose from, (the Goldy rear sets have 12) and lastly, if you intend to run a kicker “you can’t”.
I have no doubt you will make it work though.
Best of luck mate.
Thomas.
62 A10 BVSR, 62 A10 RGS, 53 SFS, 57 G/Flash-black one

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: 26.01. 2021 19:22 »
Tim, I think those pegs will present a problem, the off set is much greater than what the Goldys run with, also the length from mount hole to peg is much greater as well. Also them pegs have only 6 radial positions to choose from, (the Goldy rear sets have 12) and lastly, if you intend to run a kicker “you can’t”.
I have no doubt you will make it work though.
Best of luck mate.
Thomas.
Thomas, all good points! This month the focus is on racing the road rocket in early feb, then a road ride on my zb33 to Christchurch (over 2000km) eo Feb (subject to lockdowns). The A7 frames at my engineers still awaiting partial retubing (front down tube from the headstock) and rearset brackets, then forks and I'll start mocking up. I have a pile that could form an engine but havent decided bore and stroke. currently torn between from 67 to 70mm bores, but all options involve a custom crank to suit with a stroke from70mm (as per a75) to 64mm. I'd like to source an old a7 piston so I can ponder effect of altered gudgeons on rod length/stroke/deck height. I'm hoping I can have this bike built for next summer.  I'm also still looking at my 54 road rocket engine that theoretically just needs assembly too. That keep getting put aside and deserves some time. The various maintenance tasks of the three old bikes I have going certainly impact time I can spend on the other two  (first world problems) Once I get some large parts home I'll post some more pics and thoughts
Tim
A good rider periodically checks all nuts and bolts with a spanner to see that they are tight - Instruction Manual for BSA B series, p46, para 2.
New Zealand

Offline 1957 A10R

• Active
« Reply #36 on: 04.02. 2021 22:04 »
Thos footrests are C10 - C11 ones

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: 17.02. 2021 00:48 »
Thanks to Beeza, I have a pair of rearset footrest brackets for the frame which I hope to have back in the next month. Will be nice to start mocking up the rolling chassis. With two road rocket motor builds sitting ahead of the A7 motor I'm currently thinking I need to adopt KISS approach and build around the a65 crank I have. To keep the capacity I see I can get std A50 taiwanese FUH Jiunn pistons that look serviceable from steadfast cycles. I probably wont decide on a specific barrel until I pull down my sidecar motor as that is a shortened barrel that might be a contender to sleeve. Am thinking my small fin barrel might get a bit hot on petrol. I also have some unfinished alloy barrels courtesy of Zurferjoe to somehow fit into my builds. Being alloy they should shed heat better as well as some useful weight reduction.
Nothing happening immediately, have a ZB33 to fettle for a trip next week (subject to lockdown restrictions being lifted)
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: 22.12. 2021 01:54 »
progress glacial, at least wheels are built and plan forming. Aim is still to get the rolling chassis in place then throw money at the engine.

hopefully end up with something like Dick Klamfoth replica or at least in that vein.
New Zealand

Offline edboy

• Resident Legend
« Reply #39 on: 26.12. 2021 18:53 »
project is looking good.
are you going to bore out std a7 cases to fit a imperial a65 drive side bearing? i have a shooting star project very similar to yours and the only other option i can think off  is hard chroming the crank bearing journal.

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: 19.01. 2022 04:21 »
project is looking good.
are you going to bore out std a7 cases to fit a imperial a65 drive side bearing? i have a shooting star project very similar to yours and the only other option i can think off  is hard chroming the crank bearing journal.

more good points, sadly havent got that far. I ran into a similar issue with rear brake hubs where the later unit ones have different bearing sizes - machining / spacers needed. I'm planning to use the finned bolt on sprocket type and run 520 chain also so I can easily gear for circuits. As planning on using a BNR primary ratio is 1:2 and not variable.

My engineer who does all my frame repairs and way more is having a hard time, his teenage son (15) is dealing with cancer treatment, poor kid being unable to walk and needed surgery and now doing all the other nasty treatment, chemo and radiotherapy. I have some empathy as my 1st wife dealt with cancer for over 12 years before she passed and it was pretty brutal on everyone. So all my works on a go slow as it should while people deal with real problems.

On a more positive note I had a useful conversation with the classic racing technical rep, I wasnt sure if I could run the glass goldie type tank I'd been given but apparently a fair number of people still use f/glass tanks for racing, so that saves me some dough for the immediate future and looks the part *wink2*.

Planning to keep the oil tank color green and fork sliders and frame black. The front wheel hubs been swapped over to a wider half sided A65 front brake for the wider shoes.
Looking for suitable compression (and drilled rather than slotted oil hole) A50 pistons is posing problems. I made a couple of UK inquiries about getting some made without much success as I dont want 20. So for the time being focusing on rolling chassis and then gearbox.

Still undecided about seat direction, perhaps a wooden base?
To answer an earlier question this bike won't run a kicker. It'll be run and bump - track use only

Several other bikes also competing for my limited time and money (another first world problem to bear) Did finally flick off a couple of complete basket case bikes I was never going to get to, a C11 and a C12. So I'm down to five bikes I love and three are BSA pre unit twins.

New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: 01.02. 2022 01:13 »
I was chatting to a BSAOC member who has a collection of goldies, oh the hardships. Anyway was interested to see if he could lend me a dogleg rearset bracket so I could get some recast to make a set. He did one better and called around on one of his bikes and gave me an old pair that had been chromed and one repaired.  Very worth while *wink2*
Was also discussing seats and he suggested a fibreglass base, possibly with an alloy tail. The one on his goldie was home made but you wouldnt know. It was nicely done.
Lastly he was quite interested in my fork bushes, suggested I shortened them to reduce stiction. I've always considered the longer they are the more supported the slider is at full extension. The ones I have look just like the ones Eddie Dow used to sell. Not something I had considered and still a little dubious of (shortening them). 
Spend some of the weekend bogging up my oil tank. Its been in the wars but should scrub up and fine for a track bike. Unfortunately found a split in a seam so its being welded up.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: 09.02. 2022 03:27 »
I'd initially planned to keep the oil tank green, but a preliminary spray has changed my mind. To keep the theme with my sidecar Bender and because the fibreglass tank is silver; the oiltank will go silver too.

I think I've finally found a useful piston manufacturer who can make me a pair of custom pistons so will be keeping this motor 1/2mm undersize initially to keep it under 500cc with the A50/65 stroke. So its probably also time to start collecting other engine parts like some 6" map rods.

My master plan is to have all three of my twin port preunit twin beesa's built and running this year.
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: 26.04. 2022 21:50 »
Its been a funny couple of weeks, getting the sidecar engine ready for easter happened and its hung together so have been progressing the 54 road bike and thats coming together  *smile*, the solo had run into some delays: a new shortened fork stanchion had gone walkies, but has turned up so am also progressing the bearing spacer for the rear drum to fit a later finned qd with removeable sprocket so I can readily gear to specific circuits (assuming fixed belt drive ratio).
My racing on the sidecar was a bit underwealming with minor issues messing up qualifying (so gridded at the back) only to be followed by an accident in front of us holding us up sufficiently to lose the pack and end up circulating on our own, ending with a lost rocket spindle bolt which curtailed the weekend. This did have me pondering if I really want to keep racing but this did push through my mental haze that the solo chassis is the correct year for my sidecar engine so I can always potentially build a clubmans road bike  if I dont follow through building as a 500. 
I suspect the oil tanks about to get painted black...

fairings off the sidecar at present couldnt resist offering it up to the solo
New Zealand

Offline Rocket Racer

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: 27.07. 2022 03:55 »
still making glacial progress, the sliders didnt want to go through the bottom triple clamp so need easing out and the rear unit QD hub now has a modified ground bearing to fit with preunit peripherals. the brake plates still needs modification to have clearance. So the rolling chassis still not on its feet.

Did have an interesting conversation with a g45 owner, pistons look comparable and the right size and similar combustion details. also larger a10 equivelent gudgeon unlike most bsa 250/500 twin pistons...
New Zealand