Author Topic: A10 PLunger petrol taps direction  (Read 817 times)

Roadhog

A10 PLunger petrol taps direction
« on: 09.03. 2020 20:44 »
Hi All,
 I have fitted two new petrol taps to my A10 tank and using the correct fibre washer when I tighten the taps up they point into the motor and not outwards. any suggestions on how I can change this. Thanks 

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: A10 PLunger petrol taps direction
« Reply #1 on: 09.03. 2020 21:24 »
Extra fibre washer, different thickness fibre washer or a few turns of PTFE tape in addition to the fibre washer.

Roadhog

« Reply #2 on: 09.03. 2020 22:13 »
Thanks Rex, tried that, sadly I would need six to turn it 180 degrees.

Offline Ted_Flash

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 10.03. 2020 07:04 »
Swap them over possibly? (L to R, R to L)
Ted Wilkinson, Ramsbottom, Lancashire
1950 Golden Flash

Offline JulianS

• 1962 A10
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 10.03. 2020 09:25 »
Try Dowty seals (washers) thicker than fibre and seal better.

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 10.03. 2020 12:35 »
Unless you end up with the ones where the rubber infill is eaten by the ethanol. DAMHIKT.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #6 on: 10.03. 2020 15:01 »
Tried all of the above with no success. Recommend lots of ptfe, get as far in as poss but still in correct position. Hold firmly with spanner, i had to adapt one, needed to be skinny on my tap type. Then connect lower union nut whilst holding steady, stiffness of fuel pipe holds it in position. No fuel leaks if your lucky and off you go.No leaks as yet with 3000 miles. Makes it a pain with the on and off of tank as you have hold tap still with spanner to undo lower nut. Just one of a huge list of current bodges, feel free to disregard all of the above.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 10.03. 2020 17:15 »
   This set up seems a bit strange to cause such a big problem. We're only talking the extra thickness required in a washer of half a turn of the thread pitch, which is going to be well within the size thickness of a couple of fibre washers, unless the tank and taps have some outlandish coarse thread. In which case a soft metal spacer, aluminium, copper, or lead plus fibre sealing washers top and bottom may be the answer.  You could take a dose of courage and skim half a turn of thread  off the face of the tank tap spigots.....but only if its a pattern tank. Original tank...leave alone, try another tap, or back to plan A.

Anyone know if any of the Loctite products are Petrol proof? If so, just mount and leave to set. Might work as a quick temporary fix, but not robust enough for hard use alone.

Swarfy.

Roadhog

« Reply #8 on: 10.03. 2020 19:11 »
I think my problems are that the tank is an Indian made aftermarket Plunger tank, which is well made but probably no account for the amount of thread required. The taps are new but single plunger type 3/8th. the treads are coarse but original type. I have an original tank and I have a small list of differences between the new and old tanks.

those considering an indian tank  may be interested.

the cutaways at the front of the tank are too narrow to take the correct size front mounting nuts.
the rear rubber mount lugs are 1/4 inch narrower than the original which means adjusting the size of the spacers and rubbers.
the taps dont fit correctly?
The front underneath studs for the cross member are wider apart than original , needs plate adjusting to fit.
Hope that helps someone.

Offline BigJim

• Resident Legend
  • Bristol. UK
« Reply #9 on: 10.03. 2020 20:50 »
All same as mine. Still pleased with the tank tho.
Jamie,  Supporter of Distinguished Gentleman's Ride

Offline orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 10.03. 2020 22:51 »
I recommend the copper backed sealing washers that Hitchcocks sell; select 1/4" BSP (part # 5662) or 3/8" BSP (part # 5662B).
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors/Petrol-Tap-Fittings
Then tighten taps; if the knob orientation is wrong, then try it in the other side. If still wrong, then remove the adaptor (filter) it is screwing into, and face a small amount off it in the lathe (say, 0.020"). 
Re-install and try again.
Continue facing small amounts off until the tap points exactly where you want it.
If you don't have access to a lathe, then put some coarse wet and dry (say, 240 grade) on a flat surface and rub the adaptor over it; bit slower, but will do the job.

Or, replace the taps with the type that has a lock nut (part # 46895).
https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/Amal-Carburettors/Petrol-Tap-Amal

Richard

Roadhog

« Reply #11 on: 11.03. 2020 18:34 »
Hi these are the taps I have fitted or trying to fit,

Offline TT John

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 13.03. 2020 09:22 »
Personally, I would use copper washers, rather than fibre, they bed in better but also give you a bit more leeway on getting the taps in the correct position. HTH

TTJohn

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: 13.03. 2020 13:21 »
Surely it is just a matter of swapping some washers around until the tap pulls up reasonably tight (there is usually some leeway) and is facing in approximately the right direction?
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Offline Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: 13.03. 2020 16:27 »
Well, that's always worked for me, but it seems that many have trouble with what is a simple procedure. *conf*