Author Topic: Tiger Cub engine  (Read 879 times)

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
Tiger Cub engine
« on: 21.03. 2020 12:42 »
could anyone tell me if the spacer no. 28 on this page https://www.draganfly.co.uk/triumph-shop/tiger-cub/60-69cub/category/1680-crankshaft60cub fits between the main bearing and the crankcase on the timing side of the crank? The main bearing on the right hand side of the engine if you're sitting on the bike is in the crank case and there appears to be a spacer between the crankcase and the bearing. Its not clear on the tiger cub booklet I have nor can I really figure it out from the diagram...
I seem to have a lot more time on my hands than expected - as I'm sure many of us do - and I'm assembling, what I think is a complete engine..
thank you as always!
Guy

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Tiger Cub engine
« Reply #1 on: 21.03. 2020 12:55 »
Hi,
28 Is listed as an oil seal ???????
That assembly goes on the primary side
The drawing is staggered

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #2 on: 21.03. 2020 12:59 »
yes, that me being a dingbat... I think I meant item 30 the spacer,
Guy

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 21.03. 2020 13:08 »
Hi Guy,
30 and 39 are optional delending on the year and engine number, refer to the right hand column on the page

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #4 on: 21.03. 2020 13:09 »
I had a cub the spacer goes next to the sprocket and rotor sleeve I think . there is nothing against the ball races except the drive side seal, can still remember dad boring the right hand case next to the ball race and making a special bush for better oil pressure, nice little job he did too with his one eye and one good leg with a bottle of whiskey under the lathe,  *beer* *lol* *lol*

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
Tiger Cub engine
« Reply #5 on: 21.03. 2020 13:34 »
Thanks John, there seems to be a spacer between the main bearing and the crankcase. I was trying figure out if it was number 30 on the diagram..
Guy

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 21.03. 2020 13:43 »
Hi Guy,
Aha!
That is the later type engine with ball bearing on the timing side,
You are looking at the wrong page on draganfly site, you need to look at 60 onwards
Bo##ox, just looked and they do not have a drawing for the later engine
I think they changed around 63??

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 21.03. 2020 15:36 »
cheers John, I'll see how it fits together as is.. explains my confusion if its only the earlier engine illustration...
Guy

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 21.03. 2020 15:45 »
Hi Guy,
That type cub engine needs careful examination around the area between the timing side bearing and the worm drive
If in a previous life the engine ran with a worn bearing or misaligned crank the alloy will have worn away
Wear here means that the oil will not get to the big end
It would be difficult to repair  *sad2*
I went and looked at my cub book, and found a receipt stuck in it from 1994 !! Jeez where have the years gone *????*
I have rebuilt a few cub engines over the years but only remember one late one with the ball bearing on the TS

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 21.03. 2020 18:40 »
that's the part my old man bored out made the bush and fastened it on the bush small flange with two very small countersunk allen screws, it had a straight side where the oil pump drive is with a chamfer to clear the worm, there are no spacers as I remember if there had been a spacer next to the ball race inside the crankcase he would have put the bush flange there. he also ground a small groove in the crankshaft to compensate losing the gap in the original ally casting. edit the bush had the holes drilled in it in line with the crankshaft groove that was ground and the crank holes. mistake on my part he couldn't have put a flange inside the case because of the bearing, but I still don't remember any spacers on the crank, he did this mod after it kept destroying big ends

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 22.03. 2020 05:54 »
Thanks John, Thanks Berger, the years do seem to race by..The last road licence on the Cub was 1994, John if that  if that make you feel better, you're not alone. I bought it about 3 months ago.   The engine appears not to be high milage and subject to spacer question, appears complete. one of the barrel studs had stripped the crankcase thread and wouldn't tighten, hence it being in pieces.
Its an economic assembly, the plan is not to spend anything on the rebuild if possible. I'm sure many of us are in the same position now. Our business basically stopped over night and there's not much prospect of anything for the next six months... except possibly a cheap Tiger Cub rebuild!
More as get stuck!
Guy

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
Tiger Cub engine
« Reply #11 on: 01.04. 2020 12:05 »
As John pointed out, the Tiger cub I have is post '63 or there about.. I'm missing the points and advance unit that would sit on the side of the engine. I have an earlier spare engine with the distributor. I have the gearbox outer case from the earlier engine and the outer case. Are they interchangeable? HAs anyone any advice or done this conversation?
thank you,
Guy

Online berger

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 01.04. 2020 12:35 »
yes if oil pump worm... edit heads gone..... screw gear that is driven off crankshaft has distributer drive slot in the top of it and your crankcase has a big plug near the gearbox filler plug and barrel where the distributer fits . also look for a bolt hole near the plug where the distributer clamp should fit.

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #13 on: 01.04. 2020 12:46 »
super! thank you, it does.. this is build from what I have as nothing is currently available !
Guy

Offline Guy Wilson

• Valued Contributor
Tiger Cub
« Reply #14 on: 17.04. 2020 16:17 »
I'm at the front end now and figuring out the forks and stations
https://www.draganfly.co.uk/triumph-shop/tiger-cub/60-69cub/category/1687-forks60cub
how does the lower bush (no.13) attach to the stanchion? There's not much left of the original ones and I can't figure it out
The spring screwing into the restrictor rod seem to the main thing holding the top of the forks to the bottom...
thank you!
Guy