Author Topic: Identification of components, correct speedo  (Read 492 times)

Offline oceanobsession

• Moving Up
Identification of components, correct speedo
« on: 08.09. 2021 21:06 »
How do you identify the correct speedo , ive got the early underslung cowling and road rocket headlamps , some speedo have the bolts for fixing , one has none , there also seems a 8 inch cable to reset the trip , are the part numbers  stamped on the smiths
instruments anywhere , phil.

Mod edit: title edited. Please always use a descriptive title in the tech boards (forum rule).
A7SS

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
Re: Identification of components, correct speedo
« Reply #1 on: 08.09. 2021 21:49 »
How do you identify the correct speedo , ive got the early underslung cowling and road rocket headlamps , some speedo have the bolts for fixing , one has none , there also seems a 8 inch cable to reset the trip , are the part numbers  stamped on the smiths
instruments anywhere , phil.

Mod edit: title edited. Please always use a descriptive title in the tech boards (forum rule).

As a general rule if you get your hands on any smiths chronometric of the right size (80mm) and era (50’s and 60’s) you will be able to get it modified to look correct. I am not sure if the 80mph versions are different from 120mph so it might be best to look for 120mph unless someone else on here knows about this. You could spend a long time finding the “correct” speedo, and then find out the dial has been replaced and the internals are not correct anyway.

New dials can be printed with any part number nowadays, if you want to go to the lengths of getting that right.

ODO resets can be on the side or bottom, in NZ it’s not easy to get a conversion done to side reset as the additional internal parts needed are hard to get (or at least they were when I last tried to get it done).

For a cowl mounted speedo where the speedo is mounted in rubber you need the type of bezel with a flange, speedos (rear) bolted on have bezels without the flange as they need to look nicer. Both types of bezel are being reproduced nowadays.

Needles, the other part needed to look correct, are being reproduced.

The internals can easily be adjusted such that the speedo reads speed accurately, getting the ODO to read accurately is not so easy, others may know more about that.

Chronometrics are not cheap, and neither is their restoration. A good restorer should be able to take pretty much any chronometric and give you back a restored speedo of the correct spec, reading speed and distance accurately, you may not get back the same speedo you gave them though.

For my B31 speedo, which was battered but appeared to work ok, I bought a needle, glass, rubber seal and bezel from the UK, and fitted them myself. It looks the part (but has the wrong part number on the dial), but over reads speed and distance by 20% but that doesn’t bother me.
For my A10 the speedo did not work and was missing dial and needle, and I gave it to a restorer who gave me back an immaculate speedo which worked and is accurate for speed and distance, it doesn’t have the right part number on the dial though.

Just my 2 cents worth!

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline oceanobsession

• Moving Up
« Reply #2 on: 08.09. 2021 21:57 »
Thanks very much for your help , the bike has clip ons and the guy who i bought it from thinks there triumph , but i have some others as spares , but only one has no bolts underneath , will have another look now , phil.
A7SS

Offline KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: 08.09. 2021 22:17 »
This thread has more info inc on part numbers, and some good pics. It occurs to me that you need a speedo preferably with trip display, not all have that (not the early ones anyway).

https://www.a7a10.net/forum/index.php?topic=16147.msg137832#msg137832
New Zealand

Offline KiwiGF

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 08.09. 2021 22:28 »
As an aside, if you have several chronometric speedos you have won a small lottery  *woo* I guess I should have asked if you know how to tell the difference between chronometric and (say) the later type “magnetic” type Smiths speedos? (So called “grey face” etc)

Chronometrics are worth a lot more than the later magnetic type speedos.
New Zealand

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 09.09. 2021 09:10 »
A few years ago I picked up a chrono speedo that was laying in the road! It was a bit battered. I could not believe my eyes! How it got to be laying there I cannot imagine. I think someone here had it from me.
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline Butch (cb)

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 09.09. 2021 09:20 »
A few years ago I picked up a chrono speedo that was laying in the road! It was a bit battered. I could not believe my eyes! How it got to be laying there I cannot imagine. I think someone here had it from me.

Mine sits on a bit of alloy plate that is bolted under the fork top cap. So it's just two easily assessable nuts under the dial and undo the drive cable to have it away. Always something of a concern, I have occasionally considered a more secure mounting.
Warning - observations made by this member have a 93% unreliability rating.

Of Bikes; various, including ...
'58 S/Arm Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 09.09. 2021 16:13 »
Those chrome bezels do unscrew but can be tight. I little heat helps. Once again, I can recommend Chronometric Services in the UK.

Please do not use picture hosting sites. That one want's to send me messages. I had to block it every time the page opened. 😳 You can upload pictures to the forum. Just read the advice about picture sizes. 👍

The previous post has gone AWOL. Strange!
Greybeard (Neil)
2023 Gold Star
Supporter of THE DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDE https://www.gentlemansride.com

Warwickshire UK

A Distinguished Gentleman Riding his 1955 Plunger Golden Flash

Offline oceanobsession

• Moving Up
« Reply #8 on: 09.09. 2021 21:03 »
Thanks folks for your help and advice , emailed  Chronometric Services in the UK. who told me which speedo was the correct one
for bsa a7ss , it was the one without mounting bolts , im going to let them sort it out with a new chrome rim and service , ive to
much to do already . phil.   
A7SS