Author Topic: photo please  (Read 1687 times)

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
photo please
« on: 19.08. 2009 13:17 »
Hi chaps,

Im dying to fire my welder up, but first I need a really good close up photo of the LH side of a Rocket Gold Star, Spitfire scrambler or any other A10 with half width hubs with particular reference to the brake pedal mounting pivot position and the swing arm torque arm bracket, so dig your old box brownies out or digital cameras for the more up to date members and post some pics.Many thanks in anticipation .

Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline tombeau

• Resident Legend
Re: photo please
« Reply #1 on: 19.08. 2009 13:21 »
It's the side no-one ever photographs *lol*
Cheers,
Iain

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 19.08. 2009 13:56 »
Hi Spyke,
hope this helps

Hey Josh, note the stainless screws (not SHCS; tsk tsk!!)

Offline Josh Cox

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19.08. 2009 14:03 »
Bloody rivet counter........... *smile*

Been for a ride have we ?, wish my wife was that dirty.
Black 1953 Golden Flash Plunger

Online orabanda

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 19.08. 2009 14:09 »
When they go as good as that one does, they will get ridden at every opportunity!

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 19.08. 2009 15:41 »
Spyke,

Looking Orabanda's photos, I think there might be cause for confusion, which is why I suggested measurements. If I am correct, you have a Spitfire Scrambler with no pillion loops. Therefore, knowing that the boss for the brake pin goes at the intersection of the pillion loop and the vertical frame member may not help you. If Orabanda is listening, and it is currently convenient, perhaps he can give you the needed measurements.

Richard L.

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #6 on: 19.08. 2009 20:35 »
Hi Richard,

What I actually have is  Gold Flash frame and swing arm which I am converting to Spitfire layout, I will be retaining pillion loops .I wont obviously be using rear set footrests or a short brake pedal. I understand  I will need to drill the frame tube and weld in a tube to take the brake pedal spindle although I might chicken out of drilling the tube and cut the stud off the spindle and weld the remainder on the face of the tube ,its where this goes I need to know.

Cheers Spyke.
A10 spitfire style

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: 19.08. 2009 20:51 »
Spyke,

OK, so now you know the position, that is, in the vertical tube right where the bottom of the pillion loop meets that tube. In my case I had a machinist turn a steel tube for me to make the boss. The O.D. of that tube was the diameter of the largest drill bit I have that does not exceed the I.D. of the frame tube. The I.D of the boss tube is the clearance fit for the brake-pedal spindle. The length of the tube is dictated by having enough each side of the frame tube to weld to and by where the threads end on the pedal spindle.

When I first responded to this I said I would try to find the photos of thee process. I looked, a lot, and can't find them. Sorry about that.

Richard L.

Offline spyke

• Dorset, England
  • A's Good Friend
« Reply #8 on: 19.08. 2009 20:59 »
Thanks for trying to find the info mate , what youve decribed has been useful anyway,
did you have no quelms about drilling the frame tube with regard to it being weakened, I know the factory did it but still.
Cheers Spyke
A10 spitfire style

Offline RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 19.08. 2009 22:29 »
Spyke,

I welded all the way around both sides of the frame tube where the boss protruded (except maybe a tiny bit on the inside that I could not contort to). I am not the greatest welder and my welding machine is not the best, but I think I got a workable and strong bead all around the boss. Nevertheless, it wasn't very pretty so I smoothed it out with auto-body filler. I am completely comfortable that the job I did is as strong as the factory job. It seems to me that that part of the frame is not supporting the largest part of the load, anyway.

Richard  L.