Author Topic: Smoking!  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Fergie

• Moving Up
Re: Smoking!
« Reply #15 on: 19.03. 2020 00:09 »
Hi Everyone
Since I fitted a new barrel and JP pistons the right hand cylinder has been smoking on start up. It clears after a mile or two so I'm tempted to give it a damn good ignoring - am I courting disaster or should I just keep on riding?
Cheers
Tim

Check with the supplier and see if the rings are chrome plated. If they are, you need to run them in hard. If you go easy on them they will glaze the bore and you get blowby and smoking for a couple of miles until everything warms up.

Beware of the pistons. Check the specs on them and that there able to take brisk running while bedding in. I know some suppliers in the US are using Italian pistons and fitting US chrome plated rings claiming they are better made. Yes, they are. However, the rings have to have brisk running in but the problem is the Italian pistons (made using traditional materials) pick up under load.

Check your oil consumption regularly as well. If you're using more than normal its could be a symptom of blowby.

I hope the above is of help. regards Fergus.   

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #16 on: 19.03. 2020 08:05 »
Clouds of smoke on start up sounds like you should maybe check your oil pump. I took the timing cover off mine and saw a steady stream of oil leaking out the join between the pump and the crankcase. The horrible mazac bodied pumps tend to grow out of shape and may need some fettling to fit properly. The wet sumping will also stop the rings from bedding in as they are constantly having to deal with excess oil. Take the cover off and leave it over night with a drip tray underneath you'll soon spot if its leaking.
NZ

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #17 on: 19.03. 2020 09:17 »
Thanks for your advice everyone, I'm hoping it's just the rings need a bit of bedding in. I'll let you know if it settles down.

Cheers

Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 19.03. 2020 09:53 »
Clouds of smoke on start up sounds like you should maybe check your oil pump. I took the timing cover off mine and saw a steady stream of oil leaking out the join between the pump and the crankcase. The horrible mazac bodied pumps tend to grow out of shape and may need some fettling to fit properly. The wet sumping will also stop the rings from bedding in as they are constantly having to deal with excess oil. Take the cover off and leave it over night with a drip tray underneath you'll soon spot if its leaking.
NZ

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #19 on: 21.03. 2020 00:00 »

Thank Slymo - another option to try if it doesn't sort itself out.

Cheers

Tim
Tim Kerridge
Australia

Offline Colsbeeza

• Resident Legend
« Reply #20 on: 07.04. 2020 06:12 »
Hi Tim,
Did you settle it down yet, or are you locked down like me due to COVID.?
Colin
1961 Golden Flash
Australia

Offline TimK

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #21 on: 07.04. 2020 09:20 »
Hi Tim,
Did you settle it down yet, or are you locked down like me due to COVID.?
Colin
It's definitely decreasing - it cleared by the time I got to the end of the street last time I took her out (200m ish), but opportunities to ride are limited at the moment.
Tim Kerridge
Australia