Author Topic: Oil filter modification  (Read 114 times)

Online JHG1958

  • A's Best Friend
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2019
  • Posts: 65
  • Karma: 2
Oil filter modification
« on: 16.01. 2021 14:13 »
I have bought an oil filter that is designed to fit into the toolbox.  A neat solution so I thought, this being a good time since I am checking everything fits before going to the painters.  The filter supplier provided a template to fit into the box to drill the holes in the back for fixing screws and the oil hose.  Simple to follow, I fitted the template and drilled the holes.  All looked fairly neat, see photo.

Not wanting to be caught out after painting, I fitted the tool box with the hoses only to find the hoses are pinched by the rear mudguard, see second photograph.  The hoses may be ok for smaller mudguards but I have the valanced ones appropriate for the 1961 Golden Flash.

Before I started any drastic action, I contacted the supplier who assumed I had left out the rubber block from the mudguard fastening that sit below the battery.   I have not, but my block is old and almost certainly a little squashed, so I removed it and fitted a spacer about the right thickness.   Better but one of the hoses is still pinched so this is not the whole solution.

So guys, can I get some advice on the next steps.  These are ones I have thought of so far none of which I am overly keen.

1. Put a small dent in the mudguard so the hose is not pinched and fit a new (thicker) mudguard rubber block.
2. Drill a new hole in the toolbox for the pinched hose. This would mean cutting the internal division.  Also I already have several holes in the back of the toolbox, and I am not too keen to get more.
3. Remove the internal division of the toolbox and reposition the filter and hose holes.
4. Put the oil filter somewhere else (under the battery?) 

Online RoyC

  • Wise & Enlightened
  • *
  • Join Date: Mar 2017
  • Posts: 1129
  • Karma: 7
Re: Oil filter modification
« Reply #1 on: 16.01. 2021 14:44 »
I have bought an oil filter that is designed to fit into the toolbox.  A neat solution so I thought, this being a good time since I am checking everything fits before going to the painters.  The filter supplier provided a template to fit into the box to drill the holes in the back for fixing screws and the oil hose.  Simple to follow, I fitted the template and drilled the holes.  All looked fairly neat, see photo.

Not wanting to be caught out after painting, I fitted the tool box with the hoses only to find the hoses are pinched by the rear mudguard, see second photograph.  The hoses may be ok for smaller mudguards but I have the valanced ones appropriate for the 1961 Golden Flash.

Before I started any drastic action, I contacted the supplier who assumed I had left out the rubber block from the mudguard fastening that sit below the battery.   I have not, but my block is old and almost certainly a little squashed, so I removed it and fitted a spacer about the right thickness.   Better but one of the hoses is still pinched so this is not the whole solution.

So guys, can I get some advice on the next steps.  These are ones I have thought of so far none of which I am overly keen.

1. Put a small dent in the mudguard so the hose is not pinched and fit a new (thicker) mudguard rubber block.
2. Drill a new hole in the toolbox for the pinched hose. This would mean cutting the internal division.  Also I already have several holes in the back of the toolbox, and I am not too keen to get more.
3. Remove the internal division of the toolbox and reposition the filter and hose holes.
4. Put the oil filter somewhere else (under the battery?)

I removed my division altogether to make more room, not wanted now I have gone over to a DVR2.

My bike is a 1958 A7SS
Staffordshire UK

Offline chaterlea25

  • Wise & Enlightened
  • *
  • Join Date: Jun 2009
  • Posts: 3414
  • Karma: 48
Re: Oil filter modification
« Reply #2 on: 16.01. 2021 21:18 »
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Online JHG1958

  • A's Best Friend
  • ***
  • Join Date: Sep 2019
  • Posts: 65
  • Karma: 2
Re: Oil filter modification
« Reply #3 on: 16.01. 2021 22:21 »
Thanks John

One mention of the hoses being fouled by the mudguard, wish I had seen this before drilling. Seems that I am not alone and I will feed this back to the supplier.  Seeing oil filters under the carburettor makes me realise this is not the look I am going for.

I did look for relevant threads on this forum but failed to find that one.  This forum probably contains all the information you will ever need written down by the very best experts on A7 and A10s. I wish there was a way to organise it.  But great to have access to such a wealth of experience.

Roy’s solution looks very neat.  I have put electronic ignition on too and was wondering where the best place to fit the coil. So it is out with the partition and in with all the bits and bob’s.

John