Author Topic: SRM gasket set  (Read 471 times)

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
SRM gasket set
« on: 09.05. 2020 23:43 »
Just about to start putting the engine back together over the next day or two, and have an SRM gasket set made mostly of a material they call clinkersill (or something like that) it's normal gasket paper colour on one side but the other side is dark grey and feels kind of rubberised. I intend to assemble by using a gasket sealant on one side of the gaskets (where appropriate) and just a smear of grease on the other side. Does anyone know which side of the gasket should get the sealant?
Another thought is that the set came with quite a few small O rings and a number of cork washers, some of them for the timed breather, but not sure about the others, I haven't removed any o rings or cork washers from the engine so slightly confused. I've tried looking at all the exploded diagrams that I can find but no clues so far.
Thanks for your input.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR

Offline bikerbob

• Resident Legend
Re: SRM gasket set
« Reply #1 on: 10.05. 2020 08:37 »
Don't know about the gaskets but apart from the timed breather there is a cork gasket behind the large dynamo chain pulley and also a cork gasket where the dynamo fits to the timing case.
56 A7 s/a
63 A65

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 10.05. 2020 08:48 »
Jase   One small circular cork washer goes under the large dynamo chain drive cog. It's described as 67-708 Idler Spindle Oil Seal. Actually it eliminates float on the spindle shaft by being effectively clamped between the timing case and the rotating cog, drawing the spindle against the timing cover bush face.  Crude, simple, does the job.  Assemble with a dab of grease to stop it sticking and tearing on start up. The rest of the time there's plenty of grease around it in that chain cavity. 

As for the rest of them, I'm as stumped as you. It is a case of considering where something supplied will do the job. Often the case with gasket sets covering a model range....bits left over.

Swarfy.

Additional...bikerbob was quicker on the keyboard....

Offline berger

• Wise & Enlightened
  • keith.uk 500sscafe.norbsa JDM honda 750fz
« Reply #3 on: 10.05. 2020 10:23 »
a lot of the gasket sets also have plungy gaskets with them and an assortment of copper and fiber washers that make you scratch your head because they are not for your engine

Offline Minto

• Resident Legend
« Reply #4 on: 10.05. 2020 18:21 »
Thanks team, I didn't notice any cork bits on the dynamo drive train when I took it apart, but then again I didn't find a washer on the oil pump worm gear, or a crankshaft drive side oil slinger either, obviously ran out of a few bits last time it was assembled. So, waiting for a worm drive chamferred washer to arrive before I finish putting it all back together. I've given up searching for an oil slinger (crank shim), it didn't seem to adversely affect it not having one before.
Might give the timing and primary drive cover to my father in law to polish for me, he's always moaning about having nothing to do.
Jase
52 A10 plunger
Aprilia RSVR