Author Topic: Mag buggered  (Read 729 times)

Offline Will

• Moving Up
Mag buggered
« on: 28.05. 2020 15:57 »
My mag is buggered On my a10 I’m borrowing a friends at minute apart getting it refurbished what’s my options My advance and retard is pretty worn as well , if I go electronic is there a big advantage would I have to fit ignition etc up grade battery I’m on 6 volts 👍

Offline muskrat

• Global Moderator
  • Wise & Enlightened
  • Lithgow NSW Oz
    • Shoalhaven Classic Motorcycle Club Inc
Re: Mag buggered
« Reply #1 on: 28.05. 2020 21:12 »
G'day Will.
There a couple of forum members that rebuild magy's. beezermacc and groily. Stick with the magy if you can.
I have electricery on both mine. Converted to 12volt but you must have a good working dynamo. No battery power = no go.
Cheers
'51 A7 plunger, '57 A7SS racer now a A10CR, '78 XT500, '83 CB1100F, 88 HD FXST, 2000 CBR929RR ex Honda Australia Superbike .
Australia
Muskys Plunger A7

Online KiwiGF

• Last had an A10 in 1976, in 2011 it was time for my 2nd one. It was the project from HELL (but I learned a lot....)
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 28.05. 2020 21:51 »
My mag is buggered On my a10 I’m borrowing a friends at minute apart getting it refurbished what’s my options My advance and retard is pretty worn as well , if I go electronic is there a big advantage would I have to fit ignition etc up grade battery I’m on 6 volts 👍

I’ve been running a bth electronic mag for since 2012 ish, no reliability problems so far, i think the design by BTH has been improved since I bought mine. They are expensive! I doubt they are “roadside” fixable, except if you carry a spare coil around (I must get one come to think of it!)
https://www.bt-h.biz/K2F--Lucas-Replica-Flange-Magneto
There are quite a few good options on what to fit, I just didn’t want to have the hassle of periodically setting points gaps and timing etc on the std mag.

I have a (newly rewound) std mag fitted to my B31 and that has caused several breakdowns, but to be fair its always got me home (eventually). Issues have been points closing due to screws working loose, broken points spring, “dirty” points, rain getting in and preventing it starting (this last issue does not seem to be common with A10’s tho).

Edit: there are quite a few threads on this topic.

New Zealand

1956 A10 Golden Flash  (1st finished project)
1949 B31 rigid “400cc”  (2nd finished project)
1968 B44 Victor Special (3rd finished project)
2001 GL1800 Goldwing, well, the wife likes it
2009 KTM 990 Adventure, cos it’s 100% nuts

Offline Will

• Moving Up
« Reply #3 on: 28.05. 2020 21:53 »
G'day Will.
There a couple of forum members that rebuild magy's. beezermacc and groily. Stick with the magy if you can.
I have electricery on both mine. Converted to 12volt but you must have a good working dynamo. No battery power = no go.
Cheers

I have just rebuilt engine fitted a belt drive and refurbished dynamo so all good there I would like to stay with mag

Online groily

• Wise & Enlightened
    • www.brightsparkmagnetos.com
« Reply #4 on: 29.05. 2020 05:21 »
With all these things, there's 'buggered' and there's 'buggered', with much depending on the degree of embuggerment.  Disembuggerment of the mag and retention of 6v electrics is probably lower cost than a replacement ignition system, 12v battery, regulator, bulbs etc, and should be properly reliable too. So I think your instinct to stick with it is good. (I am, of course, biased.) But there are loads of options and you probably still need to do some www homework to be sure what will suit you best. There are advocates for all options on here and plenty of real-life experience of how they pan out in practice.
Bill

Offline Will

• Moving Up
« Reply #5 on: 29.05. 2020 08:42 »
With all these things, there's 'buggered' and there's 'buggered', with much depending on the degree of embuggerment.  Disembuggerment of the mag and retention of 6v electrics is probably lower cost than a replacement ignition system, 12v battery, regulator, bulbs etc, and should be properly reliable too. So I think your instinct to stick with it is good. (I am, of course, biased.) But there are loads of options and you probably still need to do some www homework to be sure what will suit you best. There are advocates for all options on here and plenty of real-life experience of how they pan out in practice.

Thanks groily it is indeed buggered and I would like to debugger it the degree of debuggerment is yet to be established  *smile* it cuts out when warm and doesn’t restart for about 5 mins , I would like to keep it as is I have enough hassle with my more modern bikes keeping battery on tenders etc   *smile*

Offline Sav

• Valued Contributor
  • VMCC Men of Kent and BSAOC member
    • TT Website and Forum
« Reply #6 on: 29.05. 2020 08:53 »

With the 6v LED bulbs now available, personally, I think the incentive to go to 12v has gone. If it don't itch don't scratch it!

Chez Beezermac for the mag.
1961 A10SR, spent a fortune at SRM
1961 A7SS, finally the right green
2011 1937 Empire Star, twin port, high pipes, 2023 off to pastures new.
2022 Gone to the dark side and bought a 1981 Honda Benly, electric leg for my old age! done 450 miles!
2023. 1972 Honda CL350 added. Another electric leg bike with a bit more oomf
White Cliffs Country

beezermacc

« Reply #7 on: 29.05. 2020 09:00 »
One of the problems is knowing whether or not it is your mag that is buggered. As has been said before, 'most carburettor problems turn out to be electrical (magneto in our case)'! The obvious thing to do is to try a known good mag as a substitute and quite a few of us probably have a rebuilt mag in the airing cupboard 'just in case'. I am happy to loan out K2F's to anybody who wants one. Send me a p.m. or give me a ring.

Online Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 29.05. 2020 09:10 »
 Will. 
      That maggy can't be considered on its last legs. I thought it had the electrical equivalent of a rod through the crankcase. It is in fact a runner, with a very common problem, easy to remedy.

These days, thanks to a  clever  innovative solution, your maggy can be returned to good reliable working order at far less cost than almost any other option.

More information elsewhere on the forum, so to endorse groily, time for a bit of homework to establish the cause of the hot failure from the symptoms shown and the straightforward fix.

Swarfy.

Offline Will

• Moving Up
« Reply #9 on: 29.05. 2020 09:18 »
I have fitted new carb during rebuild I have 6v bulbs , and I am using a friends mag to run it in , it’s going well I have a slight leak from under primary side somewhere not enough to worry about when I have done 500 miles I will change oil and filter etc (I have a remote filter in tool box) Retoque head and do tappets and have a look  *smile*