Author Topic: Sliding Plate behind Clutch  (Read 401 times)

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
Sliding Plate behind Clutch
« on: 05.06. 2020 18:29 »
Hi Everybody,

How long are the bolts that hold down the sliding plate behind the clutch?  Mine are some 45 mm and are way too long to clamp the plate unless there is something I've missed that goes on the back of the chain case. 

The bolts are very thin headed and were taped to the sliding plate in my box of bits.  The heads show signs of having been clipped by the old worn chain so I think they must be right.  Just can't work out what I'm missing *conf*.

Regards to all   

Online bsa-bill

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Sliding Plate behind Clutch
« Reply #1 on: 05.06. 2020 19:09 »
felt gasket goes between the plate and the case, but the bolts should be shouldered so should not protrude too far through
All the best - Bill
1961 Flash - stock, reliable, steady, fantastic for shopping
1959 Rocket Gold Flash - blinged and tarted up  would have seizure if taken to  Tesco

Offline chaterlea25

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: 05.06. 2020 19:45 »
hi
The long bolts are used to hold on the front section of the fully enclosed rear chainguard
If its not fitted then you need the short type
As said the bolts are shouldered to allow the plate room to slide
Quite often the case will be damaged by a PO over tightening the bolts and the the shoulders will have sunk into the alloy !! This needs to be fixed to allow the plate to slide
New repro plates *** oil between the two parts  *warn* *angry* run some sealer around the vee groove to cure this

John
1961 Super Rocket
1963 RGS (ongoing)

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 06.06. 2020 00:25 »
Thanks for that guys.  Very helpful.  Yes I do have a fully enclosed rear chain guard and it all makes sense now.  Found it in my box of bits.  Golden rule for next time is "buy a complete bike and take it apart yourself!" *smile*.