Author Topic: valve spring compressor?  (Read 256 times)

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
valve spring compressor?
« on: 03.06. 2020 17:37 »
Was looking through my parts dept for something and came across this. Looks very much like a valve spring compressor, but its use seems very limited. Was it made for a specific engine? Anyone any ideas?
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Joolstacho

• Resident Legend
Re: valve spring compressor?
« Reply #1 on: 04.06. 2020 02:46 »
Rear shock absorber spring puller/compressor?

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #2 on: 04.06. 2020 06:06 »
No looks like a valve spring compressor to me just another over complicated one. I've used all sorts over there years but they best without question is a simple Terry's G Clamp type. No lever action you just screw it up till then collets pop and sometimes a gentle tap with a hammer helps.
NZ

Offline dave55

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #3 on: 04.06. 2020 08:16 »
Looks like some fancy Sykes Pickavant type that maybe had interchangable arms and heads still in its case under your bench somewhere ?
BSA Bantam D7 175  1961
BSA A10 650 Golden Flash 1955 Plunger
Suzuki GSX1400 2003

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #4 on: 04.06. 2020 11:57 »
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Online cyclobutch

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #5 on: 04.06. 2020 12:47 »
First time I was popping the valves out of my A10 head I was using a G cramp with a bit of copper central heating tube with a window cut in it. Nearly blew my head clean off as it slipped off just as I got the collets free. Springs went out over my shoulder and across the road somewhere never to be seen again. 
Various, including ...
'58 Iron Head Flash Bitza

Online Greybeard

• Jack of all trades; master of none.
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: 04.06. 2020 16:56 »
First time I was popping the valves out of my A10 head I was using a G cramp with a bit of copper central heating tube with a window cut in it. Nearly blew my head clean off as it slipped off just as I got the collets free. Springs went out over my shoulder and across the road somewhere never to be seen again.
Once upon a time when I was 17, I was decoking my side-valve Morris Minor. Engine still in the car. I did not own a suitable spring compressor. I managed to get the collets out, (somehow) using screwdrivers. To get the springs closed to reassemble them I compressed the springs in a vice and tied them up with copper wire. I got the collets in place on the valve stems then cut the copper wire to release the springs. This process was going ok until a screwdriver slipped and I seriously stabbed myself in the finger. Blood was flowing all over my filthy black hands. I wrapped a rag around the finger and walked into the local A&E department. The nurse handed me a tub of Swarfega and refused to look at the injury until I'd washed my hands.

I still have a scar on my finger that is tattooed dark by the introduction of ancient Morris Minor crud!

Online Rex

• Resident Legend
« Reply #7 on: 04.06. 2020 19:15 »
I would say the compressor in the pic is for cars with vertical valves. Those over-centre clamping arrangements are really quick and easy to use, and the Sykes-Pickavant item I have is very useful.

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #8 on: 04.06. 2020 20:29 »
Richard - sure looks like the illustration you linked to. What vehicle it might fit, though, puzzles me as I 've worked on scores of different makes / types / models of engines over the years, and I can't think of a single one it would fit. Just what are those legs supposed to locate on? They're only about 3 - 4 inches apart and the collar to sit on top of the valve spring collar is barely an inch diameter. Obviously for small engines, as the item is too small to manage heavy springs. Maybe there was originally a kit of accessories with it?
I always find sunken valve springs (eg our BSA's) a pain and prefer G clamp type compressors for these as they are the least likely to slip on such engines. One of the most versatile valve spring compressors I ever used (no longer have it) consisted of a steel mushroom approx 2" dia on top of a shaft of around 3/4" dia x a foot long. On the other end were two legs arranged so when pressure was applied to the 'mushroom' they tended to close together. One simply put the legs on the valve spring collar and applied pressure by hand to the mushroom. Only downside was it didn't leave both hands free. Another I made (mainly for diesels) is a lever around 30" long which at its far end has a hinged bracket that is bolted to the cyl head (usually a rocker post mounting hole). Around 5 or 6 inches away (adjustable) from the hinge point is a hinged tube with cutout that goes on the valve collar. You simply push the lever down to get the collets out and collar off. On many diesels, because piston / valve clearance can be as little as .015" this can often be done in situ simply by letting the valve sit on the piston. Handy if you need to drop a valve onto the piston for injection timing purposes (eg Perkins).

Online RichardL

• Outside Chicago, IL
  • Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: 05.06. 2020 00:41 »
One thing that gets me about the Neilsen piece is that, due to the pivot location, it seems dependent on the main shaft being able to rock side-to-side and not just run back and forth through the collar. Does that make sense?

Richard L.
Plan on signing up for the world-wide 2020 DISTINGUISHED GENTLEMAN'S RIDEon September 27, 2020 (if it's not cancelled and we are free to move about by then). Watch website at https://www.gentlemansride.com for details.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #10 on: 05.06. 2020 07:31 »
Richard, Yes indeed. The lever will move through an arc, so would need some sideways rock in the collar.

Goodness knows how it fits to do it's job. Presume there are additional valve head supports and a cross piece for use with head assembly, otherwise as RD mentions it is a service tool for an engine where the valve can sit on to of the piston for support. Those pivot bolts on the arms look a bit close to the edge of the mounting plate.

Of course Amazon may have it completely wrong, and its such a poor seller, no longer stocked. Insert tool for valve seats?

Swarfy.

Online RDfella

• Resident Legend
« Reply #11 on: 05.06. 2020 11:38 »
Just had another look at this contraption. To answer Richard's valid point, where the shaft fits to the lever there seems to be a little lateral movement - presumably the hole for the rivet is actually a slot, hidden by the cheeks of the shaft. And I think I've figured how it's supposed to work - I note one of the two legs is fractionally (maybe a eighth) longer than the other and the feet have a slight curl. Given the legs aren't long enough to even reach the base of a valve spring, I'm presuming those legs are intended to clip onto the spring near its base, rather in the manner of suspension coil spring compressors. Whatever, its small size would make it useless except for quite small engines.

Offline Swarfcut

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: 05.06. 2020 12:16 »
RD In view of your findings, I would guess it is for changing valve stem oilseals.

Valve held shut, by rope down the plug hole trick or compressed air fed with plug hole adaptor.  Compress the spring slightly, tap the valve cap to release the collets, move the spring down to clear the collets, and if all goes to plan,  collets out, spring can then be removed to reveal the seal.

As long as the collets  can be removed through the window, it will work. Presume small tool to get into a confined space.

Really a two handed job for the sake of ease of operation, compressing, tapping, picking, holding....searching.

That's my guess, any other ideas?

Swarfy.

Offline Slymo

• A's Best Friend
« Reply #13 on: 05.06. 2020 23:03 »
Yep the legs are supposed to grip either side of the spring. I have a similar one that has a screw down top rather than a lever. I got it as part of an insurance claim when my shed was burgled years ago. I tried to use it once and it was useless. There was way too much gubbins in the way of the collets and there was nowhere on the head that I could satisfactorily position it due to the angle and position of the valve caps. It might have been OK on a car cylinder head but was useless on a single. As mentioned I borrowed a simple G Clamp styled one and had the job done in seconds.
NZ