Author Topic: Installing the engine in the frame  (Read 1054 times)

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
  • The more I learn I realise how little I know
Installing the engine in the frame
« on: 28.07. 2020 17:01 »
Do I need to fit the gearbox before the engine on a Swinging arm 1961  A10?

Since the engine is fully rebuilt and it is seriously heavy, I was considering laying it on its side and fitting the frame to the engine.  Then lifting the whole lot back on to the stand.  Stupid idea I know but has anyone tried this? 

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Online Rex

• Wise & Enlightened
Re: Installing the engine in the frame
« Reply #1 on: 28.07. 2020 17:24 »
I do this on most of my rebuilds, and it worked well on the plunger A7. I'd rather jiggle a frame around than a heavy engine unit!

Online morris

• Wise & Enlightened
  • Antwerp, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: 28.07. 2020 20:23 »
Do I need to fit the gearbox before the engine on a Swinging arm 1961  A10?
No. Gearbox can be installed afterwards.
'58 BSA A 10 SA
'52 BSA A 10 Plunger
'55 MORRIS ISIS
The world looks better from a motorbike
Belgium

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #3 on: 28.07. 2020 20:33 »
Cheers. The Haynes Manual suggests that the gearbox should be fitted first but I am sure I took it out first.

I will let you know when I have finished.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 29.07. 2020 05:54 »
Yes definitely engine first. I recomend wrapping card around the front down tubes to protect them from graunching during the fit. Either that or ensure you have a fine brush and some suitable touch up paint. On second thoughts do both.
NZ

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #5 on: 29.07. 2020 18:58 »
Done *smile*

It was a lot of faff but no heavy lifting and no damage to the newly powder coated frame.  Thanks for th advice for covering it up, you can see I followed it.

I could not get my head around the engine plates. so I spent a lot of time pre-fitting, making sure the new bolts went through them as the holes had been reduced with the powder coating.

The frame needed a lot of wooden blocks to get it level.

I dropped a bloody washer through the dynamo hole and into the timing cover!  Now recovered and the new alternator fitted

The new engine bolts were all different lengths but no guide on where to put them meant I spent an hour swapping them over.

As I thought, I am missing a crankcase bolt.  The bad news I that it is at the bottom and I will  have to raise the engine to get it in.

I am missing two of the bolts where the pressed steel support bolts onto the engine.  I will get some stainless steel bolts and fit them later.

One of the head stays is too short.  I am sure they were fitted when I took the engine out.  I will have to make one up.

But it is starting to look like a bike after many months of effort.

John

1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 29.07. 2020 21:34 »
The engine plates are a bit of an IQ test. They look so simple but it took me ages to work out how they fitted in. Good luck with the build. S:)
NZ

Offline Jules

• Valued Contributor
  • 1956 A10 s/arm Golden Flash
« Reply #7 on: 30.07. 2020 01:44 »
Looking good John, I've been wondering how to get my engine assy back in and the frame on side hadn't occurred to me, cheers

Offline RDfella

• Wise & Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: 30.07. 2020 10:43 »
All this struggling doesn’t make sense to me. I put the frame on a solid wooden surface – ideally a stout workbench but some wood on the floor will do. What we’re looking for is a solid platform across (underneath) the frame. Find a lump of wood about an inch thick to fit between the frame bottom rails. Another piece an inch thick by around a foot square to sit outside the frame, both resting on your platform. Put engine on this 2nd piece. If the frame is on the floor, stand astride the bike and slide engine across into frame. If it’s on the bench, ‘walk’ it into the frame. No gut-busting heaving required, just two minutes work for one person.
'49 B31, '49 M21, '53 DOT, '58 Flash, '62 Flash special, '00 Firestorm, Weslake sprint bike.

Offline Slymo

• Valued Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 30.07. 2020 10:52 »
Yeah but that's the easy way!
NZ

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #10 on: 31.07. 2020 13:40 »
Hi JHG,

Have a look at the A7-A10 Engine section for the post "Just Wondering???(removal of the engine).  It's quite recent. On page 2 you'll find a description of my engine fitting frame.  Works a treat even with the mag and dynamo pre-fitted.

However purpose of this post is to tell of a problem I met with the gear box fitment.  Like yourself I used a new bolt kit.  Note that BSA used studs with a nut on each end.  One bolt sits tight behind the foot rest mounting.  If it is fitted left to right as I did the bolt head prevents the pegged footrest spacer being fitted.  If I had fitted it the other way I could have removed the nut tapped the bolt back and had an easy life.  A stud would have allowed the same thing.  In the end, to save a week of needless spanering, I ground a big chamfer on the inside edge of the spacer and could just knock it into place.  Not nice but it's quite solid.  You would think that the suppliers could send a simple note with their product about location and fitting direction. *smile*

Online jhg1958

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #11 on: 05.08. 2020 19:28 »
Thanks for the advice littleguns.

Unfortunately my bolt kit only had engine bolts and they were threaded both ends.  I used the old bolts on the gearbox. One of these bolts had a strange bolt head. It was thin and slightly domed with only two flats on it.  Now I know why.

John
1961 Golden Flash S/Arm

Offline UKlittleguns

• A's Good Friend
« Reply #12 on: 06.08. 2020 12:59 »
Hi JHG,

Wish i'd had one of those bolts, but again without any guidance I'd have probably fitted it in the wrong place.  Excellent picture.  I'm sure it will help others *smile*

Len

ironhead

« Reply #13 on: 07.08. 2020 01:58 »
Thanks for the advice littleguns.

Unfortunately my bolt kit only had engine bolts and they were threaded both ends.  I used the old bolts on the gearbox. One of these bolts had a strange bolt head. It was thin and slightly domed with only two flats on it.  Now I know why.

John

That style of bolt was used a lot in the '30s' model BSA's eg Slopers. Also plunger/ ridged singles for the gearbox mounts.
Can't remember seeing them on A10's though.